soekris boot console

Gustavo Rios
I am trying to get soekris box boot with information to the console,
but no success so far.

I am doing this in my workstation and the only message i see is "connectec".

Does any body have any tips ?

# cu -l cua00 -s 19200
Connected

Re: soekris boot console

Spruell, Darren-Perot
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]

> I am trying to get soekris box boot with information to the
> console, but no success so far.
>
> I am doing this in my workstation and the only message i see
> is "connectec".
>
> Does any body have any tips ?
>
> # cu -l cua00 -s 19200
> Connected

Take a look at the comments in /etc/remote. You probably want tty instead of
cua.

I use:

$ tip -19200 tty00

DS

Re: soekris boot console

Gustavo Rios
Ok! The same again:

# tip -19200 tty00
connected

Nothing is show.

On 9/19/06, Spruell, Darren-Perot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > I am trying to get soekris box boot with information to the
> > console, but no success so far.
> >
> > I am doing this in my workstation and the only message i see
> > is "connectec".
> >
> > Does any body have any tips ?
> >
> > # cu -l cua00 -s 19200
> > Connected
>
> Take a look at the comments in /etc/remote. You probably want tty instead of
> cua.
>
> I use:
>
> $ tip -19200 tty00
>
> DS

Re: soekris boot console

Spruell, Darren-Perot
From: Gustavo Rios [mailto:[hidden email]]

> > > I am trying to get soekris box boot with information to
> the console,
> > > but no success so far.
> > >
> > > I am doing this in my workstation and the only message i see is
> > > "connectec".
> > >
> > > Does any body have any tips ?
> > >
> > > # cu -l cua00 -s 19200
> > > Connected
> >
> > Take a look at the comments in /etc/remote. You probably want tty
> > instead of cua.
> >
> > I use:
> >
> > $ tip -19200 tty00
> Ok! The same again:
>
> # tip -19200 tty00
> connected
>
> Nothing is show.

Is your Soekris console set to 19200? Are you connecting with the right kind
of serial cable?

DS

Re: soekris boot console

Gustavo Rios
It sound very strange, i see no soekris output. I am using a
female-male cable connector with a gender changer adapter on one cable
end.

Could it be the problem ?

thanks in advance.

On 9/19/06, Gustavo Rios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok! The same again:
>
> # tip -19200 tty00
> connected
>
> Nothing is show.
>
> On 9/19/06, Spruell, Darren-Perot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > > I am trying to get soekris box boot with information to the
> > > console, but no success so far.
> > >
> > > I am doing this in my workstation and the only message i see
> > > is "connectec".
> > >
> > > Does any body have any tips ?
> > >
> > > # cu -l cua00 -s 19200
> > > Connected
> >
> > Take a look at the comments in /etc/remote. You probably want tty instead of
> > cua.
> >
> > I use:
> >
> > $ tip -19200 tty00
> >
> > DS

Re: soekris boot console

Gustavo Rios
My soekris is a net4801-60. I am trying to access it before i can see
the speed !

On 9/19/06, Spruell, Darren-Perot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Gustavo Rios [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > the console,

> > > Take a look at the comments in /etc/remote. You probably want tty
> > > instead of cua.
> > >
> > > I use:
> > >
> > > $ tip -19200 tty00
> > Ok! The same again:
> >
> > # tip -19200 tty00
> > connected
> >
> > Nothing is show.
>
> Is your Soekris console set to 19200? Are you connecting with the right kind
> of serial cable?
>
> DS

Re: soekris boot console

On 2006/09/19 10:27, Spruell, Darren-Perot wrote:
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > I am trying to get soekris box boot with information to the
> > console, but no success so far.

Primary suspect is the cable. If speeds were wrong, you'd see
something like random characters. You should be able to connect the
cable between two standard PCs and run terminal software on each,
type characters on one and see them come out of the other.

Be sure you're using a null modem adapter or cable ("laplink cable"
will often substitute), this is not the same thing as a "gender
changer". Specifically pins 2 and 3 must be crossed-over, pin 5
straight through.

> > I am doing this in my workstation and the only message i see
> > is "connectec".
> >
> > Does any body have any tips ?
> >
> > # cu -l cua00 -s 19200
> > Connected
>
> Take a look at the comments in /etc/remote. You probably want tty instead of
> cua.

other way round; cua is callout, tty is for attaching terminals to.
See tty(4). It matters most when you share a device between tty and
callout.

Re: soekris boot console

Mike Hernandez-3
On Sep 19, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Gustavo Rios wrote:

> My soekris is a net4801-60. I am trying to access it before i can see
> the speed !

You need a null modem cable.  Check this link out, I found it the
other day

http://www.ultradesic.com/?section=34

Mike

Re: soekris boot console

Damian Wiest
On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 02:17:35PM -0400, Michael Hernandez wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Gustavo Rios wrote:
>
> >My soekris is a net4801-60. I am trying to access it before i can see
> >the speed !
> >

> You need a null modem cable.  Check this link out, I found it the
> other day
>
> http://www.ultradesic.com/?section=34
>
> Mike

A plain old serial cable should work fine assuming the line settings
are correct.  What are the specs for the serial port on the Soekris
board?  Are you sure you have the flow control, data bits, stop bits,
parity and speed set properly?  Also, you may find that kermit is easier
to use than tip.  I've been using it to interface with my Denon AVR2805
receiver and it works great.

My guess is that you have the flow control set improperly.  Sometimes
the correct setting isn't documented, so you'll have to experiment.

-Damian

Re: soekris boot console

OpenBSD-9
Gustavo Rios wrote:

> I am trying to get soekris box boot with information to the console,
> but no success so far.
>
> I am doing this in my workstation and the only message i see is
> "connectec".
>
> Does any body have any tips ?
>
> # cu -l cua00 -s 19200
> Connected

Are you sure cua00 is the correct calling unit?

You will always get a Connected message if the device exists even if
it's not connected to anything.

The default install only has 4 calling units cua00 to cua03, thus I had
to use /dev/MAKEDEV tty04 to create cua04 for my fourth serial console
on one box:

nike:fred /home/fred> grep pccom /var/run/dmesg.boot
pccom3 at puc0 port 0 irq 11: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pccom4 at puc0 port 1 irq 11: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pccom1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo

HTH
Fred
PS a dmesg would be helpful...
--
OpenBSD on the Zaurus C3200
http://www.crowsons.net/puters/zaurus.php

Re: soekris boot console

Otto Moerbeek
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Damian Wiest wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 02:17:35PM -0400, Michael Hernandez wrote:
> > On Sep 19, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Gustavo Rios wrote:
> >
> > >My soekris is a net4801-60. I am trying to access it before i can see
> > >the speed !
> > >

> > You need a null modem cable.  Check this link out, I found it the
> > other day
> >
> > http://www.ultradesic.com/?section=34
> >
> > Mike
>
> A plain old serial cable should work fine assuming the line settings
> are correct.  What are the specs for the serial port on the Soekris

I'm pretty sure you what you need here is a null-modem cable, which is
not the same as a "plain" serial cable. That's a cable to attach a
modem to a serial port, which is wired straight. Null modem cables
have certain connections crossed.

        -Otto

> board?  Are you sure you have the flow control, data bits, stop bits,
> parity and speed set properly?  Also, you may find that kermit is easier
> to use than tip.  I've been using it to interface with my Denon AVR2805
> receiver and it works great.
>
> My guess is that you have the flow control set improperly.  Sometimes
> the correct setting isn't documented, so you'll have to experiment.
>
> -Damian

Re: soekris boot console

Marian Hettwer