sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf on recent snapshots

sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf on recent snapshots

Raf Czlonka-2
Hi all,

I only just noticed that, trying to watch a video while having a web
browser open at the same time, I don't get any sound.

Only going through recent daily insecurity emails, had I found out that:

    sndiod_flags=

in /etc/rc.conf, has been changed to:

    sndiod_flags=NO

on snapshots from around the 10th November.

The source in CVS doesn't have that change. I couldn't find any
information about it in the mailing list archives either.

What (if any) is the reason behind it?

Regards,

Raf

Re: sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf on recent snapshots

Theo de Raadt

Testing reactions.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 05:02:33AM GMT, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> > I only just noticed that, trying to watch a video while having a web
> > browser open at the same time, I don't get any sound.
> >
> > Only going through recent daily insecurity emails, had I found out that:
> >
> >     sndiod_flags=
> >
> > in /etc/rc.conf, has been changed to:
> >
> >     sndiod_flags=NO
> >
> > on snapshots from around the 10th November.
> >
> > The source in CVS doesn't have that change. I couldn't find any
> > information about it in the mailing list archives either.
> >
> > What (if any) is the reason behind it?
>
> Testing reactions.

;^)

Fewer daemons in default configuration?

Since it is 'rcctl enable sndiod' away, I don't mind that much -
whatever works for majority.

Just tad unexpected, that's all :^)

Regards,

Raf

Re: sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf on recent snapshots

Maxim Khitrov
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 12:02 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I only just noticed that, trying to watch a video while having a web
>> browser open at the same time, I don't get any sound.
>>
>> Only going through recent daily insecurity emails, had I found out that:
>>
>>     sndiod_flags=
>>
>> in /etc/rc.conf, has been changed to:
>>
>>     sndiod_flags=NO
>>
>> on snapshots from around the 10th November.
>>
>> The source in CVS doesn't have that change. I couldn't find any
>> information about it in the mailing list archives either.
>>
>> What (if any) is the reason behind it?
>
> Testing reactions.

One down, two to go: check_quotas, pflogd_flags :)

At least those are the three things I always disable on new firewalls.
check_quotas is harmless, but just unnecessary if I don't use quotas.
pflogd can fill-up /var if "log" is added to a frequently-matching
rule (had that happen to me once).

-Max

Re: sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf on recent snapshots

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2015/11/18 07:30, Maxim Khitrov wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 12:02 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I only just noticed that, trying to watch a video while having a web
> >> browser open at the same time, I don't get any sound.
> >>
> >> Only going through recent daily insecurity emails, had I found out that:
> >>
> >>     sndiod_flags=
> >>
> >> in /etc/rc.conf, has been changed to:
> >>
> >>     sndiod_flags=NO
> >>
> >> on snapshots from around the 10th November.
> >>
> >> The source in CVS doesn't have that change. I couldn't find any
> >> information about it in the mailing list archives either.
> >>
> >> What (if any) is the reason behind it?
> >
> > Testing reactions.
>
> One down, two to go: check_quotas, pflogd_flags :)

It's really a required part of the audio layer for many uses.
Various parts were removed from the kernel because they were moved to
sndiod. Hopefully it will back after the cleanup. (I don't notice this
on my workstation because I have sndiod_flags=-f rsnd/1..)

> At least those are the three things I always disable on new firewalls.
> check_quotas is harmless, but just unnecessary if I don't use quotas.
> pflogd can fill-up /var if "log" is added to a frequently-matching
> rule (had that happen to me once).

"don't do that then" ;-)

You can use "log to pflog1" for things which you don't want
pflogd to see.

It might be useful to run newsyslog more frequently if you have
small partitions..

Re: sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf on recent snapshots

Jan Stary
On Nov 18 12:47:01, [hidden email] wrote:

> > > Testing reactions.
> >
> > One down, two to go: check_quotas, pflogd_flags :)
>
> It's really a required part of the audio layer for many uses.
> Various parts were removed from the kernel because they were moved to
> sndiod. Hopefully it will back after the cleanup. (I don't notice this
> on my workstation because I have sndiod_flags=-f rsnd/1..)

Exactly. Having specific sndiod_flags in rc.local
to accommodate my MIDI setup etc, I haven't noticed.
But having sndiod running is indispensable for much of the audio work.
Then again, anyone who needs that can craft their own sndiod_flags.