# sign

Max Power
Hi guys!
In Enghlish_US way, you have no certainties.
# symbol, I've always named 'hash',
but from recent research I found which is also named:
number, pound, octothorpe, octothorp, octothorn...

which is the exact name for it? (In computer way naturally...)

Thanks for reply.

Re: # sign

Terry Tyson-2
On 6/17/2015 12:52 PM, Max Power wrote:

> Hi guys!
> In Enghlish_US way, you have no certainties.
> # symbol, I've always named 'hash',
> but from recent research I found which is also named:
> number, pound, octothorpe, octothorp, octothorn...
>
> which is the exact name for it? (In computer way naturally...)
>
> Thanks for reply.

hash

Re: # sign

Josh Grosse
On 2015-06-17 13:58, Terry Tyson wrote:

> On 6/17/2015 12:52 PM, Max Power wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>> In Enghlish_US way, you have no certainties.
>> # symbol, I've always named 'hash',
>> but from recent research I found which is also named:
>> number, pound, octothorpe, octothorp, octothorn...
>>
>> which is the exact name for it? (In computer way naturally...)
>>
>> Thanks for reply.

Computer way?  Which computer?

If you mean ASCII representation, "#" would be 0010 0011.
If instead you prefer EBCDIC, "#" would be 0111 1011.

> hash

Wikipedia says that he use of "hash" for this sign may have come
from Baudot, which predated both ASCII and EBCDIC.

Re: # sign

Miod Vallat
> >hash
>

> Wikipedia says that he use of "hash" for this sign may have come
> from Baudot, which predated both ASCII and EBCDIC.

I thought everyone here knew that this sign is actually historically
called `sliced unicorn hearts' after the specific pattern their heart
display when thinly sliced.

Oh, I'd kill for a unicorn heart carpaccio, right now. It's been too
long since I last had some.

Re: # sign

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Max Power wrote:
> which is the exact name for it? (In computer way naturally...)

Havel├ąge - the Danish way.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen