serial or graphics adapter for VAXstation 4000/60

serial or graphics adapter for VAXstation 4000/60

Sebastian Reitenbach
Hi,

I hope someone of the VAX users can help me here. I got a VAXstation 4000/60
some weeks ago. Up to now I am more or less unable to use the box, as I seem
to be unable to find a serial RS423 to DB25 or DB9 adapter, or an adapter
for the graphics card to an ordinary PC graphics connector. Also not on
e-bay.

Anybody has an idea where I get an serial or maybe a graphics adapter?
I have no fitting plug for the RS423 connector, so I already opened the box,
and it seems I could solder a DB9 or DB25 to the outlet directly onto the
board. Does anybody has an idea which pins I have to connect to make the
adapter work as a null modem?

kind regards
Sebastian

Re: serial or graphics adapter for VAXstation 4000/60

Martin Reindl-3
On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:56:46AM +0200, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope someone of the VAX users can help me here. I got a VAXstation 4000/60
> some weeks ago. Up to now I am more or less unable to use the box, as I seem
> to be unable to find a serial RS423 to DB25 or DB9 adapter, or an adapter
> for the graphics card to an ordinary PC graphics connector. Also not on
> e-bay.
>
> Anybody has an idea where I get an serial or maybe a graphics adapter?
> I have no fitting plug for the RS423 connector, so I already opened the box,
> and it seems I could solder a DB9 or DB25 to the outlet directly onto the
> board. Does anybody has an idea which pins I have to connect to make the
> adapter work as a null modem?

You want an MMJ to DB9 adapter. If you cut the nose of a RJ-12 or RJ-14
connector it will fit on the vax. Also check wikipedia for MMJ, they got some
pinouts and links.

Martin Reindl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:56:46AM +0200, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope someone of the VAX users can help me here. I got a VAXstation
4000/60
> > some weeks ago. Up to now I am more or less unable to use the box, as I
seem
> > to be unable to find a serial RS423 to DB25 or DB9 adapter, or an
adapter
> > for the graphics card to an ordinary PC graphics connector. Also not on
> > e-bay.
> >
> > Anybody has an idea where I get an serial or maybe a graphics adapter?
> > I have no fitting plug for the RS423 connector, so I already opened the
box,
> > and it seems I could solder a DB9 or DB25 to the outlet directly onto
the
> > board. Does anybody has an idea which pins I have to connect to make the
> > adapter work as a null modem?
> >

> You want an MMJ to DB9 adapter. If you cut the nose of a RJ-12 or RJ-14
I tried an ordinary modem connector, I think that is RJ-12? but I had the
impression it was too wide, maybe it only was the nose that prevented it to
get into it.

> connector it will fit on the vax. Also check wikipedia for MMJ, they got
some
> pinouts and links.

thanks for these hints, looks promising.

Sebastian

Re: serial or graphics adapter for VAXstation 4000/60

..I'd rather be coding ASM!
I snapped the tab off an one of our rj12  aussie phone jacks and used
that with
some electrical tape to secure it for about 3 months once. Works well.

Martin is spot-on.

--
Al Boyanich <[hidden email]>
    adb -w -P "world> " -k /dev/meta/galaxy/ksyms /dev/god/brain