serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Chris Cappuccio
Is there any archive of serial console bootable images (w/virtio support)
for Linux or other OSes to boot under vmd?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Mike Larkin-2
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 05:37:04PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Is there any archive of serial console bootable images (w/virtio support)
> for Linux or other OSes to boot under vmd?
>

You mean installer images? Like things you would install from? Tons.

If you're talking about pre-installed full OSes, it's unlikely.

-ml

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Claudio Jeker
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:48:01PM -0700, Mike Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 05:37:04PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> > Is there any archive of serial console bootable images (w/virtio support)
> > for Linux or other OSes to boot under vmd?
> >
>
> You mean installer images? Like things you would install from? Tons.
>
> If you're talking about pre-installed full OSes, it's unlikely.
>

Debian still does not manage to ship an install media that has virtio
support. While it is possible to install via serial console it fails to
detect disks and net.

--
:wq Claudio

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Dave Voutila-2
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 4:08 AM Claudio Jeker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:48:01PM -0700, Mike Larkin wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 05:37:04PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> > > Is there any archive of serial console bootable images (w/virtio support)
> > > for Linux or other OSes to boot under vmd?
> > >
> >
> > You mean installer images? Like things you would install from? Tons.
> >
> > If you're talking about pre-installed full OSes, it's unlikely.
> >
>
> Debian still does not manage to ship an install media that has virtio
> support. While it is possible to install via serial console it fails to
> detect disks and net.

There's a nice guide to adding virtio to a Debian install image for
those that don't want to go the qemu route in bootstrapping a disk
image:
http://www.netzbasis.de/openbsd/vmd-debian/index.html

-Dave

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Chris Cappuccio
In reply to this post by Mike Larkin-2
Mike Larkin [[hidden email]] wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 05:37:04PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> > Is there any archive of serial console bootable images (w/virtio support)
> > for Linux or other OSes to boot under vmd?
> >
>
> You mean installer images? Like things you would install from? Tons.
>
> If you're talking about pre-installed full OSes, it's unlikely.
>

Yeah I'm just looking for an archive of installers that already have serial
support enabled. Anyone have links?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Mike Larkin-2
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 09:01:26AM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> Mike Larkin [[hidden email]] wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 05:37:04PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> > > Is there any archive of serial console bootable images (w/virtio support)
> > > for Linux or other OSes to boot under vmd?
> > >
> >
> > You mean installer images? Like things you would install from? Tons.
> >
> > If you're talking about pre-installed full OSes, it's unlikely.
> >
>
> Yeah I'm just looking for an archive of installers that already have serial
> support enabled. Anyone have links?

Still not sure I understand what you're after. Basically all Linux installers
can do this, you just need to add console=ttyS0,115200 to the kernel command
line. I don't think there are any installers that have this change already made.

For OpenBSD, just set tty com0 at boot>

Am I missing something?

-ml

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Chris Cappuccio
Mike Larkin [[hidden email]] wrote:
>
> Still not sure I understand what you're after. Basically all Linux installers
> can do this, you just need to add console=ttyS0,115200 to the kernel command
> line. I don't think there are any installers that have this change already made.
>

I think I'm just too stupid to use Linux. I know grub-based boot loaders give
you that option, but then I went to try Alpine Linux, and from what I'm
finding, I have to setup a config file put it back into the ISO.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Tom Smyth
Hi Chris,
yeah the grub loaders config files are what I have changed in the past to
move the console from vga to serial  (on RHEL /Centos)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 22:45, Chris Cappuccio <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Mike Larkin [[hidden email]] wrote:
> >
> > Still not sure I understand what you're after. Basically all Linux installers
> > can do this, you just need to add console=ttyS0,115200 to the kernel command
> > line. I don't think there are any installers that have this change already made.
> >
>
> I think I'm just too stupid to use Linux. I know grub-based boot loaders give
> you that option, but then I went to try Alpine Linux, and from what I'm
> finding, I have to setup a config file put it back into the ISO.
>


--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth

Mobile: +353 87 6193172
The information contained in this E-mail is intended only for the
confidential use of the named recipient. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering it to the recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this communication in error and that any review,
dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this in error, please notify the sender
immediately by telephone at the number above and erase the message
You are requested to carry out your own virus check before
opening any attachment.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Mike Larkin-2
In reply to this post by Chris Cappuccio
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 03:30:12PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> Mike Larkin [[hidden email]] wrote:
> >
> > Still not sure I understand what you're after. Basically all Linux installers
> > can do this, you just need to add console=ttyS0,115200 to the kernel command
> > line. I don't think there are any installers that have this change already made.
> >
>
> I think I'm just too stupid to use Linux. I know grub-based boot loaders give
> you that option, but then I went to try Alpine Linux, and from what I'm
> finding, I have to setup a config file put it back into the ISO.

Yes, Alpine requires a manual 1 line edit to the bootloader config.

The others seem to query the booted cmd line and add that automatically into
grub.cfg.

-ml

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: serial console images for installing on vmd based guests

Paul Suh-2
In reply to this post by Chris Cappuccio
> On Mar 13, 2019, at 6:30 PM, Chris Cappuccio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I'm just too stupid to use Linux. I know grub-based boot loaders give
> you that option, but then I went to try Alpine Linux, and from what I'm
> finding, I have to setup a config file put it back into the ISO.

Chris,

I've been fooling with Alpine Linux a lot in the past few years. It's gotten a lot of love recently since it's heavily used in the Docker community.

IMHO it's as close as you can get to something OpenBSD-ish within the Linux space. I definitely appreciate the leanness and built-in ability to run from RAM à la flashrd and resflash. However, compared to other Linux distro's it's kinda "special" and has more than a few quirks.


--Paul


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment