sendmail/pop3 setup question

Robert C Wittig
Hello,

I have my 'test' OpenBSD server up and running, and serving pages at:
http://70.142.248.62/ This was pretty easy.

Now I am attempting to set up a 'test' email server using sendmail
8.13.3 (OpenBSD 3.7).

The default installation (localhost.cf) works fine out of the box,
sending mail between users on that single machine, and using 'mail' as
my mail reader.

For doing an Internet mail setup, I used the tutorial I found at
http://nomoa.com/bsd/mailServer.htm ...which was clearly written. I
passed the telnet test they described for smtp, and it worked the way
it was suppose to.

Then I set up pop3 as per instructions, tested that with telnet, and
it also worked as it was supposed to.

Mmap indicates that pop3 is listening and smtp is present but closed
on the WAN side of my firewall, and I have pinholes setup for both
pop3 and smtp as per the instructions for my Netopia Router, which
worked with Apache (TCP/with the correct ports, for each service).

Then I attempted to send myself an email from my Windows 2000 machine,
using my ISP's (SBC) mail account, and sending it to
my-nonroot-account@70.142.248.62

This does not work. Nothing arrives, and nothing bounces either.

I'm not sure what I am missing, doing wrong, or if the tutorial,
intended for OpenBSD 3.6, is just not correct for 3.7

TIA for any suggestions, URL's etc.

-wittig
website: http://www.robertwittig.com/
.

Re: sendmail/pop3 setup question

Jamie Strandboge
On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 14:17 -0600, Robert C Wittig wrote:

> Mmap indicates that pop3 is listening and smtp is present but closed
> on the WAN side of my firewall, and I have pinholes setup for both
> pop3 and smtp as per the instructions for my Netopia Router, which
> worked with Apache (TCP/with the correct ports, for each service).
>
> Then I attempted to send myself an email from my Windows 2000 machine,
> using my ISP's (SBC) mail account, and sending it to
> my-nonroot-account@70.142.248.62

Your ISP may not deliver to an IP address like the above.  Use tcpdump
on your sendmail server and see if traffic is arrives from your ISP
after you send an email like above.

If you do get packets from your ISP, then check /var/log/maillog for
what might be happening, but I bet your ISP isn't delivering to you at
all.  You'll get a bounce or failed delivery eventually.

--
James Strandboge

Re: sendmail/pop3 setup question

Rod.. Whitworth
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:44:19 -0500, James Strandboge wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 14:17 -0600, Robert C Wittig wrote:
>
>> Mmap indicates that pop3 is listening and smtp is present but closed
>> on the WAN side of my firewall, and I have pinholes setup for both
>> pop3 and smtp as per the instructions for my Netopia Router, which
>> worked with Apache (TCP/with the correct ports, for each service).
>>
>> Then I attempted to send myself an email from my Windows 2000 machine,
>> using my ISP's (SBC) mail account, and sending it to
>> my-nonroot-account@70.142.248.62
>
>Your ISP may not deliver to an IP address like the above.  Use tcpdump
>on your sendmail server and see if traffic is arrives from your ISP
>after you send an email like above.
>
>If you do get packets from your ISP, then check /var/log/maillog for
>what might be happening, but I bet your ISP isn't delivering to you at
>all.  You'll get a bounce or failed delivery eventually.
>
>--
>James Strandboge
>[hidden email]

 my-nonroot-account@70.142.248.62 should be
my-nonroot-account@[70.142.248.62]
 The brackets mean "Don't try to find an MX for this address - just
send to it."

You may have other problems but you'll never know it if you don't fix
this one.

From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?

Do NOT CC me - I am subscribed to the list.
Replies to the sender address will fail except from the list-server.

Success!: sendmail/pop3 setup question

Robert C Wittig
Thanks to all the people who made suggestions to this thread, and some
serious RTFMing, and Googling, I successfully set up sendmail...
hopefully with zero gaping holes in it, for spammers to take advantage
of.<g>

I will make a point of keeping a careful eye on /var/log/maillog

thanks!

-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.