sendmail SMTP auth

Paolo Supino
Hi

  I want to add SMTP auth to sendmail. Will it be easier for me to try
and add the support to the source shipped by OpenBSD or to the source
that I will download from sendmail.org?
  Other suggestions on setting up a mail server with SMTP auth are
welcome.

TIA
Paolo

Re: sendmail SMTP auth

Gilles Chehade-2
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 12:32:10PM -0400, Paolo Supino wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I want to add SMTP auth to sendmail. Will it be easier for me to try
> and add the support to the source shipped by OpenBSD or to the source
> that I will download from sendmail.org?
>  Other suggestions on setting up a mail server with SMTP auth are
> welcome.

It is very easy to add smtp auth support to the sendmail shipped with
OpenBSD so you'd be better with using it. There are many docs on many
search engines that will go through the precise steps to set it up, I
suggest you start browsing ;)

--
sysadmin & coder @ http://www.evilkittens.org/
coder @ http://www.exalead.com/

Re: sendmail SMTP auth

Bryan Vyhmeister-2
On Aug 9, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Paolo Supino wrote:

>  I want to add SMTP auth to sendmail. Will it be easier for me to try
> and add the support to the source shipped by OpenBSD or to the source
> that I will download from sendmail.org?
>  Other suggestions on setting up a mail server with SMTP auth are
> welcome.

I am using Postfix with Dovecot and SMTP auth is very easy to setup
with this combination. Although I am using LDAP now, it is not
necessary for this config. There are lots of tutorials out there
about this setup. There are also some past threads on this list as
well as the Dovecot list about this exact question.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=117661711818628&w=2

There were also some good suggestions about sendmail as well. Take a
look at that thread.

Bryan

Re: sendmail SMTP auth

Mike Erdely
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 12:32:10PM -0400, Paolo Supino wrote:
>  I want to add SMTP auth to sendmail. Will it be easier for me to try
> and add the support to the source shipped by OpenBSD or to the source
> that I will download from sendmail.org?
>  Other suggestions on setting up a mail server with SMTP auth are
> welcome.

1. Put 'WANT_SMTPAUTH=1' in your /etc/mk.conf file.
2. Extract src.tar.gz to /usr/src.
3. Rebuild sendmail.

-ME

Re: sendmail SMTP auth

andrew fresh
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 03:34:09PM -0400, Mike Erdely wrote:
> 1. Put 'WANT_SMTPAUTH=1' in your /etc/mk.conf file.
> 2. Extract src.tar.gz to /usr/src.

2a. pkg_add cyrus-sasl

> 3. Rebuild sendmail.

l8rZ,
--
andrew - ICQ# 253198 - Jabber: [hidden email]

BOFH excuse of the day: sticktion

Re: sendmail SMTP auth

Joachim Schipper
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 12:32:10PM -0400, Paolo Supino wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I want to add SMTP auth to sendmail. Will it be easier for me to try
> and add the support to the source shipped by OpenBSD or to the source
> that I will download from sendmail.org?

I'd definitely use OpenBSD's version, that's likely to be the fastest
path.

>  Other suggestions on setting up a mail server with SMTP auth are
> welcome.

I'll just point out that if you do not have prior experience with any
mailer, you're likely to encounter a lot less pain when using an
alternative. Recompiling sendmail is more difficult than installing a
port with appropriate FLAVOR, and sendmail is notoriously difficult to
configure (although the m4-based setup helps, papering over the mess
does not make it go away).

I like Postfix (which has an odd license), but there's no really bad
choice here.

                Joachim

TFMotD: units (1) - conversion program

various lamo questions from a shiny new person

poncenby smythe
List

What options are there when you have multiple IP addresses and 1 openbsd
4.1 box with two NICs acting as a firewall?  The Internet goes into NIC1
and a switch (with boxes plugged in) goes into NIC2 (10/8 address
range). Is the alias command used in hostname.if files the only way of
utilising these multiple IPs and guaranteeing the openbsd firewall is
protecting the boxes plugged into the switch on NIC2?

and also, am I right in thinking rdr in PF is for forwarding individual
ports and binat is best used for directing all traffic to an external IP
to an internal address? can this internal address be a public IP or RFC1918?

apologies for stupidity of these questions

Re: various lamo questions from a shiny new person

Nick Guenther
On 8/9/07, poncenby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> List
>
> What options are there when you have multiple IP addresses and 1 openbsd
> 4.1 box with two NICs acting as a firewall?  The Internet goes into NIC1
> and a switch (with boxes plugged in) goes into NIC2 (10/8 address
> range). Is the alias command used in hostname.if files the only way of
> utilising these multiple IPs and guaranteeing the openbsd firewall is
> protecting the boxes plugged into the switch on NIC2?
>
> and also, am I right in thinking rdr in PF is for forwarding individual
> ports and binat is best used for directing all traffic to an external IP
> to an internal address? can this internal address be a public IP or RFC1918?
>
> apologies for stupidity of these questions

Welcome!
I've never set up bridging (see bridge(4)) myself, so I'm not even going to try.
See the FAQ.
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:18:36AM +0100, poncenby wrote:
> List
>
> What options are there when you have multiple IP addresses and 1 openbsd
> 4.1 box with two NICs acting as a firewall?  The Internet goes into NIC1
> and a switch (with boxes plugged in) goes into NIC2 (10/8 address range).
> Is the alias command used in hostname.if files the only way of utilising
> these multiple IPs and guaranteeing the openbsd firewall is protecting the
> boxes plugged into the switch on NIC2?

No, you can also use plain routing or create a bridge, as Nick pointed
out. Routing is likely to be easiest.

> and also, am I right in thinking rdr in PF is for forwarding individual
> ports and binat is best used for directing all traffic to an external IP to
> an internal address? can this internal address be a public IP or RFC1918?

Those are the most common uses for rdr and binat, yes. But do note that
if you have sufficient external IP addresses, you do not need any form
of NAT.

                Joachim

--
TFMotD: vic (4) - VMware VMXnet Virtual Interface Controller device