sasync questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

sasync questions

James Mackinnon
Hey all

I'm here setting up a nice little setup with 2 3.9 OBSD boxes using pfsync and
it works great.

I'm now at the point to create tunnels to other systems which need to use
sasync but not finding alot of documentation regarding sasync at this time.

I've check the FAQ and did googlin in hopes to find a dry step by step on it.

If anyone has done this, can they share a step by step.

I'm hoping to save some time and then I can do some detailed testing and put
this into my network when all is done.

Anyhow, any input would be great.

Thanks

James Mackinnon

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sasync questions

Spruell, Darren-Perot
From: [hidden email]

> I'm now at the point to create tunnels to other systems which
> need to use
> sasync but not finding alot of documentation regarding sasync
> at this time.
>
> I've check the FAQ and did googlin in hopes to find a dry
> step by step on it.
>
> If anyone has done this, can they share a step by step.
>
> I'm hoping to save some time and then I can do some detailed
> testing and put
> this into my network when all is done.
>
> Anyhow, any input would be great.

In -current you can find the results of new work on the sasync stuff.
-current man pages have this:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=sasyncd&sektion=8&apropos=0&man
path=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386

and

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=sasyncd.conf&sektion=5&apropos=
0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386

DS

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sasync questions

Joachim Schipper
In reply to this post by James Mackinnon
On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 04:15:58PM -0300, James Mackinnon wrote:

> Hey all
>
> I'm here setting up a nice little setup with 2 3.9 OBSD boxes using pfsync and
> it works great.
>
> I'm now at the point to create tunnels to other systems which need to use
> sasync but not finding alot of documentation regarding sasync at this time.
>
> I've check the FAQ and did googlin in hopes to find a dry step by step on it.
>
> If anyone has done this, can they share a step by step.
>
> I'm hoping to save some time and then I can do some detailed testing and put
> this into my network when all is done.
>
> Anyhow, any input would be great.

As Darren mentioned, this has improved a lot in -current; in fact, not
only the man pages, but the code itself as well. Upgrade before trying
this, or it will be quite painful - quite a few bugs have been squashed
since 3.9.

As to a HOWTO-style document, I don't have one and they aren't too
popular here. sasyncd.conf(5) is small enough, though, that it shouldn't
be too difficult to come up with a functioning configuration.

                Joachim

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sasync questions

fuzzyping
On Jun 28, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Joachim Schipper wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 04:15:58PM -0300, James Mackinnon wrote:
>> Hey all
>>
>> I'm here setting up a nice little setup with 2 3.9 OBSD boxes  
>> using pfsync and
>> it works great.
>>
>> I'm now at the point to create tunnels to other systems which need  
>> to use
>> sasync but not finding alot of documentation regarding sasync at  
>> this time.
>>
>> I've check the FAQ and did googlin in hopes to find a dry step by  
>> step on it.
>>
>> If anyone has done this, can they share a step by step.
>>
>> I'm hoping to save some time and then I can do some detailed  
>> testing and put
>> this into my network when all is done.
>>
>> Anyhow, any input would be great.
>
> As Darren mentioned, this has improved a lot in -current; in fact, not
> only the man pages, but the code itself as well. Upgrade before trying
> this, or it will be quite painful - quite a few bugs have been  
> squashed
> since 3.9.
>
> As to a HOWTO-style document, I don't have one and they aren't too
> popular here. sasyncd.conf(5) is small enough, though, that it  
> shouldn't
> be too difficult to come up with a functioning configuration.

Setting up sasyncd is very simple.  There is a basic example towards  
the end of my slides from the 2005 NYC BSD CON.

http://www.nycbsdcon.org/downloads/NYCBSDCON_failover.pdf


--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sasync questions

James Mackinnon
I got this working.

I honestly, didn't expect the config to be as easy as it was.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Jason, thanks for the AES key process, that cleared some confusion up for me
and I have tested out and system looks good.

I am still running off of the CD version of 3.9 but will start my patch up
process next.

Again everyone, thanks for your ongoing effort and support.


James
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Dixon" <[hidden email]>
To: "OpenBSD Misc" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: sasync questions


> On Jun 28, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Joachim Schipper wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 04:15:58PM -0300, James Mackinnon wrote:
>>> Hey all
>>>
>>> I'm here setting up a nice little setup with 2 3.9 OBSD boxes  using
>>> pfsync and
>>> it works great.
>>>
>>> I'm now at the point to create tunnels to other systems which need  to
>>> use
>>> sasync but not finding alot of documentation regarding sasync at  this
>>> time.
>>>
>>> I've check the FAQ and did googlin in hopes to find a dry step by  step
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> If anyone has done this, can they share a step by step.
>>>
>>> I'm hoping to save some time and then I can do some detailed  testing
>>> and put
>>> this into my network when all is done.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, any input would be great.
>>
>> As Darren mentioned, this has improved a lot in -current; in fact, not
>> only the man pages, but the code itself as well. Upgrade before trying
>> this, or it will be quite painful - quite a few bugs have been  squashed
>> since 3.9.
>>
>> As to a HOWTO-style document, I don't have one and they aren't too
>> popular here. sasyncd.conf(5) is small enough, though, that it  shouldn't
>> be too difficult to come up with a functioning configuration.
>
> Setting up sasyncd is very simple.  There is a basic example towards  the
> end of my slides from the 2005 NYC BSD CON.
>
> http://www.nycbsdcon.org/downloads/NYCBSDCON_failover.pdf
>
>
> --
> Jason Dixon
> DixonGroup Consulting
> http://www.dixongroup.net