samba client

listo factor
I have a need to mount existing samba shares on a linux box,
on the  openbsd 6.2 computer. There is no use for a samba server
on it, and I would prefer not to install one. What is the
appropriate/current samba client package and is there any
documentation on how to set it up?
TIA

Re: samba client

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"
install package gvfs if X, to use with xfce or gnome...

--
~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
----
<mail>[hidden email]</mail>

Re: samba client

listo factor
On 02/08/2018 08:58 AM, Stephane HUC "CIOTBSD" wrote:
> install package gvfs if X, to use with xfce or gnome...

Unfortunately, this is an "X-less", non-graphic "portal",
the only computer open to the world, and only via ssh,
on a LAN full of Linux and Windows computers that are
samba servers. The off-site user is allowed only the
ability to shuffle files between local computers in
an ssh shell session.

Re: samba client

Peter N. M. Hansteen-3
On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 11:33:01AM +0000, listo factor wrote:
> On 02/08/2018 08:58 AM, Stephane HUC "CIOTBSD" wrote:
> > install package gvfs if X, to use with xfce or gnome...
>
> Unfortunately, this is an "X-less", non-graphic "portal",
> the only computer open to the world, and only via ssh,
> on a LAN full of Linux and Windows computers that are
> samba servers. The off-site user is allowed only the
> ability to shuffle files between local computers in
> an ssh shell session.

cd /usr/ports; make search key=smb

yields among other things

Port:   usmb-20130204p4
Info:   mount SMB shares from userland via FUSE
Maint:  The OpenBSD ports mailing-list <[hidden email]>
Index:  sysutils
L-deps: STEM->=0.10.38:devel/gettext converters/libiconv devel/glib2 net/samba textproc/libxml
B-deps: STEM->=0.10.38:devel/gettext devel/gettext-tools devel/gmake textproc/gsed
R-deps: STEM->=0.10.38:devel/gettext
Archs:  any

which might fit the scenario.

Re: samba client

listo factor
On 02/08/2018 11:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
...> cd /usr/ports; make search key=smb
> yields among other things
> Port:   usmb-20130204p4
> which might fit the scenario.

Thank you, it appears it does. However...:

I can get this to work for root, but not for a regular user.
(I get "fuse mount: permission denied" for a non-root user,
with the exact same usmb setup that works for root...)

Re: samba client

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

On 02/09/18 18:20, listo factor wrote:

> On 02/08/2018 11:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> ...> cd /usr/ports; make search key=smb
>> yields among other things
>> Port:   usmb-20130204p4
>> which might fit the scenario.
>
> Thank you, it appears it does. However...:
>
> I can get this to work for root, but not for a regular user.
> (I get "fuse mount: permission denied" for a non-root user,
> with the exact same usmb setup that works for root...)

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149805347118472&w=2

Re: samba client

Stuart Henderson
On 2018-02-10, Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/09/18 18:20, listo factor wrote:
>> On 02/08/2018 11:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
>> ...> cd /usr/ports; make search key=smb
>>> yields among other things
>>> Port:   usmb-20130204p4
>>> which might fit the scenario.
>>
>> Thank you, it appears it does. However...:
>>
>> I can get this to work for root, but not for a regular user.
>> (I get "fuse mount: permission denied" for a non-root user,
>> with the exact same usmb setup that works for root...)
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149805347118472&w=2

And lots of discussion about this at
https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160715125022

Re: samba client

listo factor
On 02/10/2018 10:50 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>>> I can get this to work for root, but not for a regular user.
>>> (I get "fuse mount: permission denied" for a non-root user,
>>> with the exact same usmb setup that works for root...)

> https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160715125022

Thank you. I wish I knew about this before this excursion,
there was unfortunately nothing indicating this peculiarity
in any man pages I consulted along the way.

Re: samba client

temp+101
I also recommend curl if you know exact address of receiving/sending
resource.

It needs zero config and works great in non-root users.