rm -rf Xombrero

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

rm -rf Xombrero

Gonzalo L. Rodriguez-2
Hello,

Anyone out there still use Xombrero for something? Or think that need to
stay on the tree?

It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
use.

So, any OK to burn this in hell?

Thanks.

--
Sending from my toaster.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone out there still use Xombrero for something? Or think that need to
> stay on the tree?
>
> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> use.
>
> So, any OK to burn this in hell?

Well if even their developers say not to use it...

--
Antoine

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
In reply to this post by Gonzalo L. Rodriguez-2
"Gonzalo L. Rodriguez" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Anyone out there still use Xombrero for something? Or think that need to
> stay on the tree?
>
> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> use.
>
> So, any OK to burn this in hell?

I wouldn't have used that wording, but OK. :)

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Landry Breuil-5
In reply to this post by Gonzalo L. Rodriguez-2
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone out there still use Xombrero for something? Or think that need to
> stay on the tree?
>
> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> use.
>
> So, any OK to burn this in hell?

Fwiw, https://github.com/conformal/xombrero/issues/142 - so yes, should
be removed.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Edd Barrett-3
In reply to this post by Gonzalo L. Rodriguez-2
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> use.

If no one uses it, then goodbye xombrero!

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Uwe Werler


Am 31. Januar 2017 22:49:14 MEZ schrieb Edd Barrett <[hidden email]>:

>On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
>> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
>> use.
>
>If no one uses it, then goodbye xombrero!
>
>--
>Best Regards
>Edd Barrett
>
>http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk


Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Matthias Kilian
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:51:45PM +0100, Uwe Werler wrote:
> >> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> >> use.
> >
> >If no one uses it, then goodbye xombrero!
[..]
> Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.

I'm using it, too, as a 'fringe group browser'[1], but I'm sure
there are enough substitutes in the ports tree, so IMHO it should
die.

Ciao,
        Kili

[1]: in german: 'Randgruppenbrowser'

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Dutch Ingraham
In reply to this post by Uwe Werler
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:51:45PM +0100, Uwe Werler wrote:

>
>
> Am 31. Januar 2017 22:49:14 MEZ schrieb Edd Barrett <[hidden email]>:
> >On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
> >> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> >> use.
> >
> >If no one uses it, then goodbye xombrero!
> >
> >--
> >Best Regards
> >Edd Barrett
> >
> >http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk
>
>
> Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.

I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.

But, time marches on, and if it's insecure and won't be fixed, I suppose
its best to remove it, sadly.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Erling Westenvik-2
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 04:31:30PM -0600, Dutch Ingraham wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:51:45PM +0100, Uwe Werler wrote:
> >
> >
> > Am 31. Januar 2017 22:49:14 MEZ schrieb Edd Barrett <[hidden email]>:
> > >On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
> > >> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> > >> use.
> > >
> > >If no one uses it, then goodbye xombrero!
> > >
> > >--
> > >Best Regards
> > >Edd Barrett
> > >
> > >http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk
> >
> >
> > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
>
> I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
> on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.

How about surf(1). Not tabbed, and cannot be used solely by keyboard,
but better rendering in general IMO. I use it now and then. It even
manages to load Facebook.

> But, time marches on, and if it's insecure and won't be fixed, I suppose
> its best to remove it, sadly.

--
Erling Westenvik

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Uwe Werler
On 31 Jan 23:48, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> > > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
> >
> > I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
> > on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.
>
> How about surf(1). Not tabbed, and cannot be used solely by keyboard,
> but better rendering in general IMO. I use it now and then. It even
> manages to load Facebook.

I like vimb - it's completely keyboard driven. They suggest to use tabbed with
it but inside tabbed the refresh takes very long.

--

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Stuart Henderson
On 2017/01/31 23:51, Uwe Werler wrote:

> On 31 Jan 23:48, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> > > > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
> > >
> > > I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
> > > on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.
> >
> > How about surf(1). Not tabbed, and cannot be used solely by keyboard,
> > but better rendering in general IMO. I use it now and then. It even
> > manages to load Facebook.
>
> I like vimb - it's completely keyboard driven. They suggest to use tabbed with
> it but inside tabbed the refresh takes very long.

vimb is on the list as well..

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=148585584015126&w=2

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Dutch Ingraham
In reply to this post by Erling Westenvik-2
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:48:24PM +0100, Erling Westenvik wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 04:31:30PM -0600, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:51:45PM +0100, Uwe Werler wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Am 31. Januar 2017 22:49:14 MEZ schrieb Edd Barrett <[hidden email]>:
> > > >On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
> > > >> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> > > >> use.
> > > >
> > > >If no one uses it, then goodbye xombrero!
> > > >
> > > >--
> > > >Best Regards
> > > >Edd Barrett
> > > >
> > > >http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk
> > >
> > >
> > > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
> >
> > I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
> > on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.
>
> How about surf(1). Not tabbed, and cannot be used solely by keyboard,
> but better rendering in general IMO. I use it now and then. It even
> manages to load Facebook.

Thanks for the suggestion - I like the suckless stuff in general, and
this box is already running dwm and dmenu from them.  I think I tried
this a couple of years ago and found it a little too "raw" for my
purposes, but I may have to take another look.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Davide Gerhard
In reply to this post by Erling Westenvik-2

On Tuesday, 31/01/2017 22:51 GMT, Uwe Werler wrote:

> On 31 Jan 23:48, Erling Westenvik wrote:
>> > > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
>> >
>> > I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
>> > on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.
>>
>> How about surf(1). Not tabbed, and cannot be used solely by keyboard,
>> but better rendering in general IMO. I use it now and then. It even
>> manages to load Facebook.
>
> I like vimb - it's completely keyboard driven. They suggest to use tabbed with
> it but inside tabbed the refresh takes very long.

try surf2 that use webkitgtk4 and if you want tabbing you can use
x11/tabbed. (or maybe www/epiphany)

surf and vimb are using www/webkit therefore avoid it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Olivier Cherrier
In reply to this post by Dutch Ingraham
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 04:31:30PM -0600, [hidden email] wrote:

> > Am 31. Januar 2017 22:49:14 MEZ schrieb Edd Barrett <[hidden email]>:
> > >On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:40:20PM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:
> > >> It uses insecure webkit and conformal/companyzero do no recommend its
> > >> use.
> > >
> > >If no one uses it, then goodbye xombrero!
> > >
> > >--
> > >Best Regards
> > >Edd Barrett
> > >
> > >http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk
> >
> >
> > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
>
> I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
> on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.
>
> But, time marches on, and if it's insecure and won't be fixed, I suppose
> its best to remove it, sadly.

I also use it every day and I like it.
Sad to see it getting retired ;-(

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Solene Rapenne
In reply to this post by Davide Gerhard

Davide Gerhard writes:

> On Tuesday, 31/01/2017 22:51 GMT, Uwe Werler wrote:
>
>> On 31 Jan 23:48, Erling Westenvik wrote:
>>> > > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
>>> >
>>> > I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
>>> > on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.
>>>
>>> How about surf(1). Not tabbed, and cannot be used solely by keyboard,
>>> but better rendering in general IMO. I use it now and then. It even
>>> manages to load Facebook.
>>
>> I like vimb - it's completely keyboard driven. They suggest to use tabbed with
>> it but inside tabbed the refresh takes very long.
>
> try surf2 that use webkitgtk4 and if you want tabbing you can use
> x11/tabbed. (or maybe www/epiphany)
>
> surf and vimb are using www/webkit therefore avoid it.

you can try qutebrowser, I don't. It has not been listed in the removal
list, but maybe it should be added to the list ?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rm -rf Xombrero

Uwe Werler
On 01. Feb  9:51:27, Solène Rapenne wrote:

>
> Davide Gerhard writes:
>
> > On Tuesday, 31/01/2017 22:51 GMT, Uwe Werler wrote:
> >
> >> On 31 Jan 23:48, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> >>> > > Mmh, I use it. For me the best browser around.
> >>> >
> >>> > I use it as well - its the only functional graphical browser that works
> >>> > on my old single-core, 2GB memory celeron.
> >>>
> >>> How about surf(1). Not tabbed, and cannot be used solely by keyboard,
> >>> but better rendering in general IMO. I use it now and then. It even
> >>> manages to load Facebook.
> >>
> >> I like vimb - it's completely keyboard driven. They suggest to use tabbed with
> >> it but inside tabbed the refresh takes very long.
> >
> > try surf2 that use webkitgtk4 and if you want tabbing you can use
> > x11/tabbed. (or maybe www/epiphany)
> >
> > surf and vimb are using www/webkit therefore avoid it.
>
> you can try qutebrowser, I don't. It has not been listed in the removal
> list, but maybe it should be added to the list ?

Ok, currently testing. It's python-based - should make no probs I hope.

--