reset ALOM password

Maurice Janssen-2
Hi,

I have a Sun Fire V240 machine with a password on the ALOM.  The
previous owner can't remember it, so I'm tryingto clear it.

It seems there are two ways to do this, either the scadm command from
Solaris or pressing ESC at the right moment during power up.

I don't have Solaris lying around, so this doesn't work for me.

The ESC-menu seems to come in two flavours: with and without an 'e'
option to erase the NVRAM.  Guess which one I have...

OpenBSD installs and runs fine, but access to the ALOM would be very
nice.  Does anyone know an alternative solution?  Install Opensolaris?
Setting some jumper on the mainboard?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Maurice

Re: reset ALOM password

toc-2
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 05:14:09PM +0200, Maurice Janssen wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I have a Sun Fire V240 machine with a password on the ALOM.  The previous
>  owner can't remember it, so I'm tryingto clear it.
>
>  OpenBSD installs and runs fine, but access to the ALOM would be very nice.
>  Does anyone know an alternative solution?  Install Opensolaris? Setting some
>  jumper on the mainboard?  Any help is appreciated.

Can you use the eeprom command to set security-mode to none?
If I recall correctly, that should work as long as you can boot into
OpenBSD to run it.

Re: reset ALOM password

Maurice Janssen-2
Todd Carson wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 05:14:09PM +0200, Maurice Janssen wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I have a Sun Fire V240 machine with a password on the ALOM.  The previous
>>  owner can't remember it, so I'm tryingto clear it.
>>  OpenBSD installs and runs fine, but access to the ALOM would be very nice.
>>  Does anyone know an alternative solution?  Install Opensolaris? Setting some
>>  jumper on the mainboard?  Any help is appreciated.
>>

> Can you use the eeprom command to set security-mode to none?
> If I recall correctly, that should work as long as you can boot into
> OpenBSD to run it.

As far as I know, the eeprom command only interacts with the OpenPROM,
not with the ALOM.

But in the meantime, I found this ISO from Opensolaris:
http://genunix.org/dist/indiana/osol-dev-134-ai-sparc.iso
This boots into a Live-cd environment, including the scadm command that
you normally would run from Solaris to reset the password.

This works like a charm, so now I can access the ALOM without any problem.

Maurice