remove sysutils/grub

Klemens Nanni-2
i386 only, BROKEN since 2017 with clang and ports-gcc, dead upstream
(GRUB2 is the thing, if at all).

Any objections? OK?

Re: remove sysutils/grub

Matthias Kilian
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:31:12AM +0100, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> i386 only, BROKEN since 2017 with clang and ports-gcc, dead upstream
> (GRUB2 is the thing, if at all).
>
> Any objections? OK?

Feel free to burn it with fire.

But i have a (little bit offtopic)  question related to what grub
did: my ports build machine still has that setup with 4  different
OpenBSD installations (and64-current, i386-current/amd64-stable,
i386-stable), with some overlaps (like a common /home for all four
of them, or /usr/{src,ports,xenocara} shared for  -stable wrt.
-current. Is there any way to get something like this done other than
booting /bsd.rd and running fdisk(8)

Ciao,
        Kili

Re: remove sysutils/grub

Kurt Mosiejczuk-9
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:31:12AM +0100, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> i386 only, BROKEN since 2017 with clang and ports-gcc, dead upstream
> (GRUB2 is the thing, if at all).

> Any objections? OK?

ok kmos

--Kurt

Re: remove sysutils/grub

Stefan Sperling-5
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 01:56:15AM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> But i have a (little bit offtopic)  question related to what grub
> did: my ports build machine still has that setup with 4  different
> OpenBSD installations (and64-current, i386-current/amd64-stable,
> i386-stable), with some overlaps (like a common /home for all four
> of them, or /usr/{src,ports,xenocara} shared for  -stable wrt.
> -current. Is there any way to get something like this done other than
> booting /bsd.rd and running fdisk(8)

Wouldn't this be fairly easy to set up with vmm(4) nowadays?
This way you could even have all 4 systems up in parallel.

Re: remove sysutils/grub

Stuart Henderson
On 2020/02/26 09:01, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 01:56:15AM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> > But i have a (little bit offtopic)  question related to what grub
> > did: my ports build machine still has that setup with 4  different
> > OpenBSD installations (and64-current, i386-current/amd64-stable,
> > i386-stable), with some overlaps (like a common /home for all four
> > of them, or /usr/{src,ports,xenocara} shared for  -stable wrt.
> > -current. Is there any way to get something like this done other than
> > booting /bsd.rd and running fdisk(8)

You could boot from USB stick and swap them round. Or jcs mentioned
that newer grub builds on amd64 with minor tweaks.

> Wouldn't this be fairly easy to set up with vmm(4) nowadays?
> This way you could even have all 4 systems up in parallel.

Fairly easy if the hardware is capable, but then you have to cope with
NFS for the shared storage.

Re: remove sysutils/grub

Landry Breuil-5
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:33:53AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2020/02/26 09:01, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 01:56:15AM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> > > But i have a (little bit offtopic)  question related to what grub
> > > did: my ports build machine still has that setup with 4  different
> > > OpenBSD installations (and64-current, i386-current/amd64-stable,
> > > i386-stable), with some overlaps (like a common /home for all four
> > > of them, or /usr/{src,ports,xenocara} shared for  -stable wrt.
> > > -current. Is there any way to get something like this done other than
> > > booting /bsd.rd and running fdisk(8)
>
> You could boot from USB stick and swap them round. Or jcs mentioned
> that newer grub builds on amd64 with minor tweaks.

then one would just need to update & unbreak the grub port ? :)

fwiw i've been using grub2 from linux on my laptops since forever..