remove games/jag

Nam Nguyen
I propose removing games/jag for licensing concerns. Upstream has
stopped and I found that there was a fork that continues
development. This fork is what Debian uses and the fork is run by
$MAINTAINER of Debian's jag. I have a diff ready to update jag once this
is resolved. It moves to qt5.

The licenses for some assets are questionable based on my investigation
on waybackmachine. Namely, I am concerned about the themes by Fasticon
like the futurama theme, with a strange "freeware" license.

I opened an issue here with the details:
https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/1

For now, I propose removing games/jag until the new upstream can clarify
what can be distributed. I would guess that deleting all themes but the
default could work. Credits in the JAG menu read, "Thanks to the authors
of graphics, icons and sounds, which are used under free licenses in the
game."

Re: remove games/jag

Stefan Sperling-5
On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 06:48:37PM -0700, Nam Nguyen wrote:

> I propose removing games/jag for licensing concerns. Upstream has
> stopped and I found that there was a fork that continues
> development. This fork is what Debian uses and the fork is run by
> $MAINTAINER of Debian's jag. I have a diff ready to update jag once this
> is resolved. It moves to qt5.
>
> The licenses for some assets are questionable based on my investigation
> on waybackmachine. Namely, I am concerned about the themes by Fasticon
> like the futurama theme, with a strange "freeware" license.
>
> I opened an issue here with the details:
> https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/1
>
> For now, I propose removing games/jag until the new upstream can clarify
> what can be distributed. I would guess that deleting all themes but the
> default could work. Credits in the JAG menu read, "Thanks to the authors
> of graphics, icons and sounds, which are used under free licenses in the
> game."

Considering that Debian will likely want to see this resolved as well, and
that you are planning to update the port, couldn't we set PERMIT_PACKAGE=no
until the situation is cleared up?

We have ports in much worse licensing situations that do the same (look at
sysutils/firmware/ulpt for example...)

Re: remove games/jag

On 2020/07/05 18:48, Nam Nguyen wrote:

> I propose removing games/jag for licensing concerns. Upstream has
> stopped and I found that there was a fork that continues
> development. This fork is what Debian uses and the fork is run by
> $MAINTAINER of Debian's jag. I have a diff ready to update jag once this
> is resolved. It moves to qt5.
>
> The licenses for some assets are questionable based on my investigation
> on waybackmachine. Namely, I am concerned about the themes by Fasticon
> like the futurama theme, with a strange "freeware" license.
>
> I opened an issue here with the details:
> https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/1
>
> For now, I propose removing games/jag until the new upstream can clarify
> what can be distributed. I would guess that deleting all themes but the
> default could work. Credits in the JAG menu read, "Thanks to the authors
> of graphics, icons and sounds, which are used under free licenses in the
> game."

imho no need to remove, especially if an update is planned (it's a bit
annoying readding a port that was previously rm'd from cvs) - just set
PERMIT_* appropriately.

update games/jag 0.3.7 (Was: Re: remove games/jag)

Nam Nguyen
Stefan Sperling writes:

> On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 06:48:37PM -0700, Nam Nguyen wrote:
>> I propose removing games/jag for licensing concerns. Upstream has
>> stopped and I found that there was a fork that continues
>> development. This fork is what Debian uses and the fork is run by
>> $MAINTAINER of Debian's jag. I have a diff ready to update jag once this
>> is resolved. It moves to qt5.
>>
>> The licenses for some assets are questionable based on my investigation
>> on waybackmachine. Namely, I am concerned about the themes by Fasticon
>> like the futurama theme, with a strange "freeware" license.
>>
>> I opened an issue here with the details:
>> https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/1
>>
>> For now, I propose removing games/jag until the new upstream can clarify
>> what can be distributed. I would guess that deleting all themes but the
>> default could work. Credits in the JAG menu read, "Thanks to the authors
>> of graphics, icons and sounds, which are used under free licenses in the
>> game."
>
> Considering that Debian will likely want to see this resolved as well, and
> that you are planning to update the port, couldn't we set PERMIT_PACKAGE=no
> until the situation is cleared up?
>
> We have ports in much worse licensing situations that do the same (look at
> sysutils/firmware/ulpt for example...)
This sounds like a good solution.

Here is a diff updating games/jag to 0.3.7, released on May 8, 2020. I
attached it because patches that were removed have DOS line endings. New
patches use post-extract to delete DOS line endings.

Changelog: https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/blob/0.3.7/CHANGELOG

This diff:
- Sets PERMIT_PACKAGE to no as suggested by stsp@ and sthen@. Themes are
restrictively licensed so do not build package until it is cleared up.
  https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/1
- Moves to new upstream that Debian uses. Old upstream has stopped
development.
  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/jag
- Moves HOMEPAGE and MASTER_SITES to new upstream to address thfr@'s
bug report about defunct HOMEPAGE in the README
  https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/2
- Moves to qt5 which was supported since version 0.3.3
- Builds jag-editor in addition to jag. jag-editor is a level editor.
- Many patched files were moved into src
- Delete DOS-line endings in post-extract, as pulled from print/scribus.
- README lists Qt5 Xml as a requirement, but `make
  port-lib-depends-check' reports this as an extra WANTLIB.
  Extra:  Qt5Xml.3
  I chose to not include Qt5Xml in WANTLIB.

I played jag and changed languages. I tested jag-editor by building a
level pack and was able to play my level.

Feedback and tests are welcome.

jag.diff (14K) Download Attachment

Re: update games/jag 0.3.7

Nam Nguyen
Nam Nguyen writes:

> Stefan Sperling writes:
>>
>> Considering that Debian will likely want to see this resolved as well, and
>> that you are planning to update the port, couldn't we set PERMIT_PACKAGE=no
>> until the situation is cleared up?
>>
>> We have ports in much worse licensing situations that do the same (look at
>> sysutils/firmware/ulpt for example...)
>
> This sounds like a good solution.
>
> Here is a diff updating games/jag to 0.3.7, released on May 8, 2020. I
> attached it because patches that were removed have DOS line endings. New
> patches use post-extract to delete DOS line endings.
New diff attached that deletes trailing whitespace in cvs header and
additionally sets PERMIT_DISTFILES to no as suggested by stsp@ and
sthen@.

> Changelog: https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/blob/0.3.7/CHANGELOG
>
> This diff:
> - Sets PERMIT_PACKAGE to no as suggested by stsp@ and sthen@. Themes are
> restrictively licensed so do not build package until it is cleared up.
>   https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/1
> - Moves to new upstream that Debian uses. Old upstream has stopped
> development.
>   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/jag
> - Moves HOMEPAGE and MASTER_SITES to new upstream to address thfr@'s
> bug report about defunct HOMEPAGE in the README
>   https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/2
> - Moves to qt5 which was supported since version 0.3.3
> - Builds jag-editor in addition to jag. jag-editor is a level editor.
> - Many patched files were moved into src
> - Delete DOS-line endings in post-extract, as pulled from print/scribus.
> - README lists Qt5 Xml as a requirement, but `make
>   port-lib-depends-check' reports this as an extra WANTLIB.
>   Extra:  Qt5Xml.3
>   I chose to not include Qt5Xml in WANTLIB.
>
> I played jag and changed languages. I tested jag-editor by building a
> level pack and was able to play my level.
>
> Feedback and tests are welcome.

jag.diff (14K) Download Attachment

Re: update games/jag 0.3.7

Rafael Sadowski
On Mon Jul 06, 2020 at 07:39:38PM -0700, Nam Nguyen wrote:

> Nam Nguyen writes:
>
> > Stefan Sperling writes:
> >>
> >> Considering that Debian will likely want to see this resolved as well, and
> >> that you are planning to update the port, couldn't we set PERMIT_PACKAGE=no
> >> until the situation is cleared up?
> >>
> >> We have ports in much worse licensing situations that do the same (look at
> >> sysutils/firmware/ulpt for example...)
> >
> > This sounds like a good solution.
> >
> > Here is a diff updating games/jag to 0.3.7, released on May 8, 2020. I
> > attached it because patches that were removed have DOS line endings. New
> > patches use post-extract to delete DOS line endings.
>
> New diff attached that deletes trailing whitespace in cvs header and
> additionally sets PERMIT_DISTFILES to no as suggested by stsp@ and
> sthen@.
>

> > Changelog: https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/blob/0.3.7/CHANGELOG
> >
> > This diff:
> > - Sets PERMIT_PACKAGE to no as suggested by stsp@ and sthen@. Themes are
> > restrictively licensed so do not build package until it is cleared up.
> >   https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/1
> > - Moves to new upstream that Debian uses. Old upstream has stopped
> > development.
> >   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/jag
> > - Moves HOMEPAGE and MASTER_SITES to new upstream to address thfr@'s
> > bug report about defunct HOMEPAGE in the README
> >   https://gitlab.com/coringao/jag/-/issues/2
> > - Moves to qt5 which was supported since version 0.3.3
> > - Builds jag-editor in addition to jag. jag-editor is a level editor.
> > - Many patched files were moved into src
> > - Delete DOS-line endings in post-extract, as pulled from print/scribus.
> > - README lists Qt5 Xml as a requirement, but `make
> >   port-lib-depends-check' reports this as an extra WANTLIB.
> >   Extra:  Qt5Xml.3
> >   I chose to not include Qt5Xml in WANTLIB.
> >
> > I played jag and changed languages. I tested jag-editor by building a
> > level pack and was able to play my level.
> >
> > Feedback and tests are welcome.

Simple game play test works out-of-box, OK rsadowski@

Re: update games/jag 0.3.7

Nam Nguyen
Rafael Sadowski writes:

> Simple game play test works out-of-box, OK rsadowski@

ping. I am looking for someone to commit this. The diff is reattached.