release bundling failed in /src/distrib

Raymundo Soto
Hi!

I am trying to build a release in a Sunfire T2000 UltraSparc T1.

install: rename: /mnt/INS@6UjHYKPFeu to /mnt/bsd: No such file or directory
***Error 1 in target 'bsd.rd'
writing boot block to disk vnd0
installboot: pwrite: Device not configured

**** Error 1 in target 'installboot'
**** Error 1 in /usr/src/distrib/sparc64/miniroot (Makefile:43 'installboot)
**** Error 1 in (Makefile:36 'bsd.rd')
**** Error 2 in /usr/src/distrib/sparc64 (<bsd.subdir.mk>:48 'all')
**** Error 2 in /usr/src/distrib/ (<bsd.subdir.mk>:48 'all')
**** Error 2 in . (Makefile:292 'distrib')
**** Error 2 in . (Makefile:268 'do-release')
**** Error 2 in /usr/src/etc (Makefile:251 'release')
...Then the build stops.

Needless to say, if I issue cd /usr/src/distrib/sets && sh checkflist
afterwards, I am missing hundreds of files.

I was hoping this would be some kind of architecture-specific thing,
e.g. some extra step I did not take.

Has anyone had similar experiences or hints to the possible problem?

Thanks in advance, R.S.-

Re: release bundling failed in /src/distrib

Theo de Raadt-2
It looks like you skipped mandatory steps in the release(8) manual
page.

Raymundo Soto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to build a release in a Sunfire T2000 UltraSparc T1.

> install: rename: /mnt/INS@6UjHYKPFeu to /mnt/bsd: No such file or directory
> ***Error 1 in target 'bsd.rd'
> writing boot block to disk vnd0
> installboot: pwrite: Device not configured
>
> **** Error 1 in target 'installboot'
> **** Error 1 in /usr/src/distrib/sparc64/miniroot (Makefile:43 'installboot)
> **** Error 1 in (Makefile:36 'bsd.rd')
> **** Error 2 in /usr/src/distrib/sparc64 (<bsd.subdir.mk>:48 'all')
> **** Error 2 in /usr/src/distrib/ (<bsd.subdir.mk>:48 'all')
> **** Error 2 in . (Makefile:292 'distrib')
> **** Error 2 in . (Makefile:268 'do-release')
> **** Error 2 in /usr/src/etc (Makefile:251 'release')
> ...Then the build stops.
>
> Needless to say, if I issue cd /usr/src/distrib/sets && sh checkflist
> afterwards, I am missing hundreds of files.
>
> I was hoping this would be some kind of architecture-specific thing,
> e.g. some extra step I did not take.
>
> Has anyone had similar experiences or hints to the possible problem?
>
> Thanks in advance, R.S.-

Re: release bundling failed in /src/distrib

Raymundo Soto-2
Either I somehow managed to erase key parts of my previous e-mail, or they were automatically erased by the system because they contained verbatim commands.

Anyway,

    It looks like you skipped mandatory steps in the release(8) manual page.

Of course it might look that way, I just don't know what minuscule detail I missed. Here is what I did in all detail:

 First of all, of course, follow the instructions to build the stable kernel, reboot, then build the userland, sysmerge, MAKEDEV ALL (then reboot again just in case), which means that I have a complete build in /usr/obj.

Then, AFAICT, follow release(8) verbatim:

Literally add this line to my fstab to mount the noperm fs as mfs:

swap /dest mfs rw,nosuid,noperm,-P/var/dest,-s1.5G,noauto 0 0

then using doas to have root privileges,

   mkdir -p /var/dest/{,x}base
   chown -R build /var/dest
   chmod -R 700   /var/dest
   mount /dest

This is my doas.conf:

  permit setenv { DESTDIR=/dest/base RELEASEDIR=/home/admin/release/releasedir } admin

Finally, cd /usr/src/etc && doas make release

throws me the error I was talking about.

Re: release bundling failed in /src/distrib

Theo de Raadt-2
I'm not going to dig through all that and figure out what's wrong,
you are obviously not following release(8) but have added a bunch
of your own stuff and something is broken as a result.

Your /mnt partition for building the ramdisks is not working.

Why?  I don't know.  I've built probably 200,000 releases using
this procedure, but I don't have your tweaks.