"panic: ipintr no HDR" when attempting to connect OpenBSD running l2tp/IPsec

"panic: ipintr no HDR" when attempting to connect OpenBSD running l2tp/IPsec

Sevan / Venture37-2
Hi,
I ran into this issue last night when I was testing out a trivial VPN
config & assumed it may have been related to virtualbox but I've just
replicated it on a ThinkPad X60s.

panic: ipintr no HDR
Stopped at Debugger+0x7: leave
Tid PID UID PRFLAGS PFLAGS CPU COMMAND
21363 21363 82 0x10 0 1 npppd
Debugger ( ) at Debugger+0x7
panic( ) at panic+0x71
ipintr( ) at ipintr+0x34
netintr( ) at netintr+0x78
softintr_dispatch(1) at softintr_dispatch+0x5f
Xsoftnet() at Xsoftnet+0x12

screenshots from a -current #1575 running an a guest
http://sevan.sdf.org/trace-58current.png
http://sevan.sdf.org/ps1.png
http://sevan.sdf.org/ps2.png
http://sevan.sdf.org/ps3.png

Confirmed issue on 5.8-RELEASE amd64, the -current snapshot from
yesterday #1575 (2/12/2015) (SP kernel) on virtualbox 5 and the i386
snapshot from 14/11/2015 #1378 (SMP kernel) on a ThinkPad X60s.

In each case no changes were made to the default OpenBSD install other
than assigning a IP address to network interface, adding a user to
/etc/npppd/nppd-users & adding a ipsec.conf.

ipsec.conf:
ike passive esp transport proto udp from 1.2.3.4 to any port 1701 \
main auth "hmac-sha1" enc "3des" group modp1024 psk "password".

(have to use these crypto settings because it's not possible to
connect from a manually configured VPN on OS X otherwise, it's just
for my testing purposes to "succeed", not what's used in production).

Run:
isakmpd -K
ipsecctl -f /etc/ipsec.conf
npppd

On OS X (tested with 10.11.1)
System Preferences > Network, add a L2TP over IPsec VPN, fill in the
username, password & psk. hit connect.

Upon establishing a connecting succesfully, OS X will start the timer
& display the I/O indicator at which point OpenBSD will have panicked.

Sevan / Venture37

Re: "panic: ipintr no HDR" when attempting to connect OpenBSD running l2tp/IPsec

YASUOKA Masahiko-4
Can you check "net.pipex.enable"?

pppxwrite() is not used if "net.pipex.enable=1".

--yasuoka

On 3 December 2015 at 16:44, YASUOKA Masahiko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can you check "net.pipex.enable"?
>
> pppxwrite() is not used if "net.pipex.enable=1".

The default configuration which I've been running with has been:
net.pipex.enable=0

Sevan