"offline" mail setup for road warrior

f.holop
hi there,

i am fishing for ideas from others regarding
how to read/send email in my current life situation
(=being on the road all the time connecting once
in a while with 3rd world wifi).

i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred
setup would be something that downloads my mails
when i am connected, then i can write answers locally
even when being offline, and these would be sent
automatically (through my server) when i come
online again.  my mail client is mutt.

any road warriors living like this with a rock
solid well tested setup?

-f
stop talking while i'm interrupting.

Re: "offline" mail setup for road warrior

Duncan Patton a Campbell
On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 00:18:50 +0100
frantisek holop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i am fishing for ideas from others regarding
> how to read/send email in my current life situation
> (=being on the road all the time connecting once
> in a while with 3rd world wifi).
>
> i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
> i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred
> setup would be something that downloads my mails
> when i am connected, then i can write answers locally
> even when being offline, and these would be sent
> automatically (through my server) when i come
> online again.  my mail client is mutt.
>
> any road warriors living like this with a rock
> solid well tested setup?
>
> -f
> --
> stop talking while i'm interrupting.

IFF your laptop is OBSD (or other *nix), then you might consider the following...

run Sylpheed client with

Use SSL for POP3 connection
and
Use STARTTLS command to start SSL session

set on.

SMTP port 587, pop3 at 995

and SMTP Auth set on Send.

On your server you'll need to set up sendmail to use starttls
and stunnel to remap 995 to 110 (pop3 need be set up) as well
as install and run cyrus-sasl.

This will give you a fairly secure system that allows online/offline access to your email server.
It also gives you secure access mechanism that works with stock Android email client, altho
at the expense of losing the sorting that the Sylpheed client allows.

Dhu

Ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco.

On 2013-03-08, frantisek holop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i am fishing for ideas from others regarding
> how to read/send email in my current life situation
> (=being on the road all the time connecting once
> in a while with 3rd world wifi).
>
> i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
> i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred
> setup would be something that downloads my mails
> when i am connected, then i can write answers locally
> even when being offline, and these would be sent
> automatically (through my server) when i come
> online again.  my mail client is mutt.
>
> any road warriors living like this with a rock
> solid well tested setup?
>
> -f

How about UUCP over TCP?

Since your Received: headers show postfix, see
http://www.postfix.org/UUCP_README.html (but of course it's
possible with other MTAs).

Re: "offline" mail setup for road warrior

Jiri B-2
On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 12:18:50AM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i am fishing for ideas from others regarding
> how to read/send email in my current life situation
> (=being on the road all the time connecting once
> in a while with 3rd world wifi).
>
> i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
> i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred
> setup would be something that downloads my mails
> when i am connected, then i can write answers locally
> even when being offline, and these would be sent
> automatically (through my server) when i come
> online again.  my mail client is mutt.
>
> any road warriors living like this with a rock
> solid well tested setup?

I was recently looking for a way how to suck mails
from mail "proxy" in DMZ to intranet mail server.

I have found that postfix can have some defered
queue which can be processes manually.

On your mail server you can setup to defer
delivery to your laptop (you can fake it with
destination to be localhost:$someport). Then you
could suck the mails from this queue via ssh port
forwarding...

Unfortunatelly I didn't save this configuration
details.

jirib

Re: "offline" mail setup for road warrior

Peter Hessler
I use offlineimap for the local copy.  this also syncs up the
Read/Unread/Replied/etc statuses.  I haven't bothered replying to emails
this way, but it is at least half of the method.

On 2013 Mar 09 (Sat) at 00:18:50 +0100 (+0100), frantisek holop wrote:
:hi there,
:
:i am fishing for ideas from others regarding
:how to read/send email in my current life situation
:(=being on the road all the time connecting once
:in a while with 3rd world wifi).
:
:i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
:i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred
:setup would be something that downloads my mails
:when i am connected, then i can write answers locally
:even when being offline, and these would be sent
:automatically (through my server) when i come
:online again.  my mail client is mutt.
:
:any road warriors living like this with a rock
:solid well tested setup?
:
:-f
:--
:stop talking while i'm interrupting.
:

--
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a
suitable application of high explosives.

On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 04:56:59PM +0100, Peter Hessler wrote:
> I use offlineimap for the local copy.  this also syncs up the
> Read/Unread/Replied/etc statuses.  I haven't bothered replying to emails
> this way, but it is at least half of the method.

I understood his mail that he wants to have forwarded
all mails for his domain/account to his laptop.

See Postfix - The Definitive Guide, 9.2.1 Postponing
Mail Delivery.

jirib

Re: "offline" mail setup for road warrior

Liviu Daia-2
On 9 March 2013, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-03-08, frantisek holop <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > i am fishing for ideas from others regarding how to read/send email
> > in my current life situation (=being on the road all the time
> > connecting once in a while with 3rd world wifi).
> >
> > i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want. i am
> > travelling with my notebook. my preferred setup would be something
> > that downloads my mails when i am connected, then i can write
> > answers locally even when being offline, and these would be sent
> > automatically (through my server) when i come online again. my mail
> > client is mutt.
> >
> > any road warriors living like this with a rock solid well tested
> > setup?
> >
> > -f
>
> How about UUCP over TCP?
>
> Since your Received: headers show postfix, see
> http://www.postfix.org/UUCP_README.html (but of course it's possible
> with other MTAs).

    +1 for UUCP over TCP.  Unlike newer protocols such as POP3 and
ETRN, it was specifically designed to cope with crappy lines.  You'll
never lose mail with it, and you won't end up with duplicate messages
or corrupt mailboxes, regardless of how many times your connection goes
down during transfers.  Use stunnel and relayd to wrap it in SSL, and
you're done.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

Re: "offline" mail setup for road warrior

L. V. Lammert
On Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Jiri B wrote:

> I was recently looking for a way how to suck mails
> from mail "proxy" in DMZ to intranet mail server.

Postfix can work that way, but you might be better served using an IMAP
connection with a mail client first to downloaded headers & remove
cruft, *then* downloading.

        Lee

Re: "offline" mail setup for road warrior

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
On 2013-03-09 00:18, frantisek holop wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i am fishing for ideas from others regarding
> how to read/send email in my current life situation
> (=being on the road all the time connecting once
> in a while with 3rd world wifi).
>
> i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
> i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred
> setup would be something that downloads my mails
> when i am connected, then i can write answers locally
> even when being offline, and these would be sent
> automatically (through my server) when i come
> online again.  my mail client is mutt.
>
> any road warriors living like this with a rock
> solid well tested setup?
>
> -f
> --
> stop talking while i'm interrupting.

I run something similar to what you need on my laptop.
I use offlineimap to sync all mails locally, mutt to read and
reply, and opensmtpd running locally.
My local smtpd relays through my actual email server (using SMTPS
and authentication) whenever I get an internet connection.
offlineimap also syncs back read/flaged statuses back up.

Good luck!

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

Re: "offline" mail setup for road warrior

Laurence Tratt
On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 12:18:50AM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:

> i have my own mail server, that i can setup as i want.
> i am travelling with my notebook.  my preferred setup would be something
> that downloads my mails when i am connected, then i can write answers
> locally even when being offline, and these would be sent automatically
> (through my server) when i come online again.  my mail client is mutt.
>
> any road warriors living like this with a rock solid well tested setup?

I use unison to sync my maildirs (much faster than POP/IMAP) and extsmail [1]
to send my e-mail via ssh whenever a connection is found.

This is a very simple setup, but it has the advantage that it requires no
more config than is needed for normal ssh. I find it much easier than e.g.
setting up SMTP/TLS on various machines. It also means that synchronising
things across multiple machines works well. I spend huge chunks of time
offline (e.g. I'm writing this on a train), and this setup has worked well
for me for several years.

Yours,

Laurie

[1] http://tratt.net/laurie/src/extsmail/ in ports as mail/extsmail