project : openbsd as nas

Jean-Francois Simon
Hello,

I was thinking about how to help openbsd project, and since I am not able to
help in programming, I'm thinking about starting something aroung openbsd such
as a layer making it an easy enough to manage home nas server of good quality.

I have not yet the whole picture of how to do it but maybe a project that will
take quite sometime and whose goal is to transform a standard install into a
ready to run nas server with few efforts.

I don't know yet what it will be like, probably it needs to be package or
something else, I need to study it more in details so far.

I hope that you will receive well this idea I have and maybe if you do wish,
support if it is needed.

I will then open something on my own wiki to prepare and work on the complete
project, describe it in detail and start to implement things.

Again thanks for the quality of that os and its documentation which makes it
very interesting to work on.

Regards
JF

Re: project : openbsd as nas

Steven Shockley
On 8/30/2010 8:03 AM, Jean-Francois wrote:
> I was thinking about how to help openbsd project, and since I am not able to
> help in programming, I'm thinking about starting something aroung openbsd such
> as a layer making it an easy enough to manage home nas server of good quality.

Well, it already does NFS out of the box and Samba (in ports) can do
CIFS.  The last I heard OpenBSD didn't have iSCSI and wasn't able to act
as a FC target (although I haven't been paying attention).

You could do a web interface, but they usually make it easy to configure
but hard to configure properly.

I'm not trying to kill your enthusiasm, but what do you want to
accomplish?  It has to be something *you* want if you want to finish it.

Re: project : openbsd as nas

michal-49
On 30/08/10 13:03, Jean-Francois wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was thinking about how to help openbsd project, and since I am not able to
> help in programming, I'm thinking about starting something aroung openbsd such
> as a layer making it an easy enough to manage home nas server of good quality.
>
> I have not yet the whole picture of how to do it but maybe a project that will
> take quite sometime and whose goal is to transform a standard install into a
> ready to run nas server with few efforts.
>
> I don't know yet what it will be like, probably it needs to be package or
> something else, I need to study it more in details so far.
>
> I hope that you will receive well this idea I have and maybe if you do wish,
> support if it is needed.
>
> I will then open something on my own wiki to prepare and work on the complete
> project, describe it in detail and start to implement things.
>
> Again thanks for the quality of that os and its documentation which makes it
> very interesting to work on.
>
> Regards
> JF

Are you trying to make pure OBSD version of projects like Openfiler and
FreeNAS? If you don't know about those, check those out as contributing
to those may be more worth while then starting a new project

Re: project : openbsd as nas

Lars Nooden-2
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Jean-Francois wrote:
> I'm thinking about starting something aroung openbsd such as a layer
> making it an easy enough to manage home nas server of good quality.

That capability is already there.  As others mention, NFS is in base and
Samba can easily be added from ports.

There is also an AFS client (Arla) and the server in ports, if you are
going to be working with redundant servers and or a larger number
of de-centralized  users.

If you just want to give quick acess to users, then you already have the
ability to serve chrooted sftp in base.  Just make the changes to
sshd_config for the groups you want and show your users their sftp clients
most file managers for linux distros have sftp support built in, if that
is what they are using.  A nice touch, for some, is to use SSHFS to make
their remote SFTP access appear as a local folder.

/Lars

Re: project : openbsd as nas

Jean-Francois Simon

I understood that this list is not meant for me to show off what I did with
this nas stuff.
I'll just post once the work is done so it may be of interest to some.
At the moment I'm doing a custom install cd, not sure how long it will take if
I ever outcome all difficulties but I'll bet.

Here's the first hack, I am working on the install.sh & install.sub files.

In the install process /src/distrib/miniroot/install.{sh,sub}, replaced

Available disks are: wd0 wd1 wd2.
Which one do you wish to initialize? (or 'done') [done]

by

disk : wd0
label: Veritech SSD 200
total sectors: 63078400 #  total bytes: 30.1G

disk : wd1
label: SAMSUNG HD103UJ
total sectors: 1953525168 #  total bytes: 931.5G

disk : wd2
label: MAXTOR STM316021
total sectors: 312581808 #  total bytes: 149.1G

Available disks are: wd0 wd1 wd2.
Which one will the operating system be installed on? (or 'done') [done]

e.g.

                # Force the user to think and type in a disk name by
                # making 'done' the default choice.
                # Jean-Francois Simon, ADD start
                echo
                for _n in $(get_dkdevs); do
                echo "disk : $_n"
                disklabel -h $_n | grep label;
                disklabel -h $_n | grep total;
                echo
                done
                # Jean-Francois Simon, ADD end
                ask_which "disk" "will the operating system be installed on" \
                        '$(l=$(get_dkdevs); for a in $DISKS_DONE; do
                                l=$(rmel $a $l); done; bsort $l)' \
                        done

Le Monday 30 August 2010 14:51:56, IC1igo Ortiz de Urbina a C)crit :