porting question

Edgar Pettijohn III-2
I'm attempting to port libxlsxwriter.  The problem I'm having is
that I can't seem to get the examples to install correctly.

In the Makefile I have this:
${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/*.c ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter/

pkg/PLIST shows all of the relevent files.

After $ make fake everything looks good in /usr/ports/pobj/etc/etc/fake-i386/etc/etc

However, after $ make build install the /usr/local/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
directory doesn't exist and obviously none of its intended files either.

Everything else works correctly.  I can compile test programs and link with
-lxlsxwriter
Edgar Pettijohn

Re: porting question

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm attempting to port libxlsxwriter.  The problem I'm having is
> that I can't seem to get the examples to install correctly.
>
> In the Makefile I have this:
> ${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/*.c ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter/
>
> pkg/PLIST shows all of the relevent files.
>
> After $ make fake everything looks good in /usr/ports/pobj/etc/etc/fake-i386/etc/etc
>
> However, after $ make build install the /usr/local/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> directory doesn't exist and obviously none of its intended files either.
>
> Everything else works correctly.  I can compile test programs and link with
> -lxlsxwriter

The problem is not in this fragment.

Re: porting question

On 2016/07/10 23:54, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:

> I'm attempting to port libxlsxwriter.  The problem I'm having is
> that I can't seem to get the examples to install correctly.
>
> In the Makefile I have this:
> ${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/*.c ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter/
>
> pkg/PLIST shows all of the relevent files.
>
> After $ make fake everything looks good in /usr/ports/pobj/etc/etc/fake-i386/etc/etc
>
> However, after $ make build install the /usr/local/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> directory doesn't exist and obviously none of its intended files either.
>
> Everything else works correctly.  I can compile test programs and link with
> -lxlsxwriter
> --
> Edgar Pettijohn

Perhaps you built a package before adding the examples and didn't remove it
before installing?

Re: porting question

Edgar Pettijohn III-2
On 16-07-11 09:21:18, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2016/07/10 23:54, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> > I'm attempting to port libxlsxwriter.  The problem I'm having is
> > that I can't seem to get the examples to install correctly.
> >
> > In the Makefile I have this:
> > ${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> > ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/*.c ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter/
> >
> > pkg/PLIST shows all of the relevent files.
> >
> > After $ make fake everything looks good in /usr/ports/pobj/etc/etc/fake-i386/etc/etc
> >
> > However, after $ make build install the /usr/local/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> > directory doesn't exist and obviously none of its intended files either.
> >
> > Everything else works correctly.  I can compile test programs and link with
> > -lxlsxwriter
> > --
> > Edgar Pettijohn
> >

> Perhaps you built a package before adding the examples and didn't remove it
> before installing?

I think I may have found the issue.  The plist under /usr/ports/plist/... still
had the wrong info.  Should this have been fixed by $ make update-plist?  If so
there may be a bug involved.  If not I guess I should double check there in the
future.

Edgar Pettijohn

Re: porting question

Amit Kulkarni-5
On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 16-07-11 09:21:18, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2016/07/10 23:54, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to port libxlsxwriter.  The problem I'm having is
> > > that I can't seem to get the examples to install correctly.
> > >
> > > In the Makefile I have this:
> > > ${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> > > ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/*.c
> ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter/
> > >
> > > pkg/PLIST shows all of the relevent files.
> > >
> > > After $ make fake everything looks good in
> /usr/ports/pobj/etc/etc/fake-i386/etc/etc
> > >
> > > However, after $ make build install the
> /usr/local/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> > > directory doesn't exist and obviously none of its intended files
> either.
> > >
> > > Everything else works correctly.  I can compile test programs and link
> with
> > > -lxlsxwriter
> > > --
> > > Edgar Pettijohn
> > >

> > Perhaps you built a package before adding the examples and didn't remove
> it
> > before installing?
> >
> I think I may have found the issue.  The plist under /usr/ports/plist/...
> still
> had the wrong info.  Should this have been fixed by $ make update-plist?
> If so
> there may be a bug involved.  If not I guess I should double check there
> in the
> future.

When I try out new ports, I do the following since I don't build ports in
bulk now (If you wipe out packages you lose 1-2 days of built package data,
so be extremely careful). I would probably add a pattern to remove
MY_NEW_PORT to /usr/ports/packages as a adaptation below.

pkg_delete MY_NEW_PORT
rm -rf /usr/ports/plist
rm -rf /usr/ports/packages
rm -rf /usr/ports/pobj
make install

Hope that helps you out. I think this is a known thing, sicne you are
tweaking the new port to get it right. I expect most ports people know this.

Re: porting question

Edgar Pettijohn III-2
On 16-07-11 17:57:38, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Edgar Pettijohn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter/

> > /usr/ports/pobj/etc/etc/fake-i386/etc/etc

> > /usr/local/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> > either.

> > with
> > > >

> > > Perhaps you built a package before adding the examples and didn't remove
> > it
> > > before installing?
> > >
> > I think I may have found the issue.  The plist under /usr/ports/plist/...
> > still
> > had the wrong info.  Should this have been fixed by $ make update-plist?
> > If so
> > there may be a bug involved.  If not I guess I should double check there
> > in the
> > future.
> >

> When I try out new ports, I do the following since I don't build ports in
> bulk now (If you wipe out packages you lose 1-2 days of built package data,
> so be extremely careful). I would probably add a pattern to remove
> MY_NEW_PORT to /usr/ports/packages as a adaptation below.
>
> pkg_delete MY_NEW_PORT
> rm -rf /usr/ports/plist
> rm -rf /usr/ports/packages
> rm -rf /usr/ports/pobj
> make install

This has proven to be excellent advice.  Probably needs to make its way into
the porting guide somewhere.

> Hope that helps you out. I think this is a known thing, sicne you are
> tweaking the new port to get it right. I expect most ports people know this.

Edgar Pettijohn

Re: porting question

On 2016/07/11 16:51, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:

> On 16-07-11 09:21:18, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2016/07/10 23:54, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to port libxlsxwriter.  The problem I'm having is
> > > that I can't seem to get the examples to install correctly.
> > >
> > > In the Makefile I have this:
> > > ${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> > > ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/*.c ${PREFIX}/share/examples/libxlsxwriter/
> > >
> > > pkg/PLIST shows all of the relevent files.
> > >
> > > After $ make fake everything looks good in /usr/ports/pobj/etc/etc/fake-i386/etc/etc
> > >
> > > However, after $ make build install the /usr/local/share/examples/libxlsxwriter
> > > directory doesn't exist and obviously none of its intended files either.
> > >
> > > Everything else works correctly.  I can compile test programs and link with
> > > -lxlsxwriter
> > > --
> > > Edgar Pettijohn
> > >

> > Perhaps you built a package before adding the examples and didn't remove it
> > before installing?
> >
> I think I may have found the issue.  The plist under /usr/ports/plist/... still
> had the wrong info.  Should this have been fixed by $ make update-plist?  If so
> there may be a bug involved.  If not I guess I should double check there in the
> future.

update-plist updates the file/s in pkg/PLIST* / pkg/PFRAG*.
PLISTs under /usr/ports/plist can be cleaned with 'make clean=plist'.

Re: porting question

Daniel Jakots-3
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:51:19 -0500, Edgar Pettijohn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I may have found the issue.  The plist
> under /usr/ports/plist/... still had the wrong info.  Should this
> have been fixed by $ make update-plist?  If so there may be a bug
> involved.  If not I guess I should double check there in the future.

I tried to send this mail earlier this morning but I failed the from so
I guess it will never arrived (dumb me), so here it is again:

No make update-plist is used to update pkg/PLIST.
If you want to remove the one in /usr/ports/plist, you can use
`make clean=plist`. Most of the time I don't use make clean alone but
`make clean=all` which includes cleaning the plist.

bsd.port.mk(5) has lots of information ;)

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: porting question

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 12, 2016, at 6:11 AM, Daniel Jakots <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:51:19 -0500, Edgar Pettijohn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think I may have found the issue.  The plist
>> under /usr/ports/plist/... still had the wrong info.  Should this
>> have been fixed by $ make update-plist?  If so there may be a bug
>> involved.  If not I guess I should double check there in the future.
>
> I tried to send this mail earlier this morning but I failed the from so
> I guess it will never arrived (dumb me), so here it is again:
>
> No make update-plist is used to update pkg/PLIST.
> If you want to remove the one in /usr/ports/plist, you can use
> `make clean=plist`. Most of the time I don't use make clean alone but
> `make clean=all` which includes cleaning the plist.
>
> bsd.port.mk(5) has lots of information ;)

I read it about a year ago last time I tried and failed to port something. Maybe I need to revisit it.  Good news is upstream is already planning to incorporate my patches.

Thanks all.

Edgar