pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

Shaka NKofo
http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx

I found this shop while looking for parts to build a home router. Has
anyone been through this and can give me links to cheap parts within Europe?

Any advise on the pitfalls of this process is welcome

Shaka

Re: pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:38:28AM +0200, Shaka Nkofo wrote:
> http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx
>
> I found this shop while looking for parts to build a home router. Has
> anyone been through this and can give me links to cheap parts within Europe?

For Alix, pcengines.ch could be a useful place to start.

For those of us on even slimmer budgets, building infrastructure by dumpster
diving works too.

- P

Re: pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (Shaka Nkofo), 2012.09.11 (Tue) 11:38 (CEST):
> http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx
>
> I found this shop while looking for parts to build a home router. Has
> anyone been through this and can give me links to cheap parts within
> Europe?

http://www.pcengines.ch/
(manufacturer, watch out, when it comes to taxation and customs .ch is
not part of .eu)

> Any advise on the pitfalls of this process is welcome

- some of the alixes do not have a RTC
- none of the alixes have a power switch (unless you fiddle with gpio)

Bye, Marcus

Re: pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

Michel Blais-2
Le 2012-09-11 05:38, Shaka Nkofo a écrit :
> http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx
>
> I found this shop while looking for parts to build a home router. Has
> anyone been through this and can give me links to cheap parts within Europe?
>
> Any advise on the pitfalls of this process is welcome
>
> Shaka

You could also look at soekris :
http://www.soekris.eu/shop/index.php

Re: pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

James Shupe-4
On 9/11/12 8:21 AM, Michel Blais wrote:

> Le 2012-09-11 05:38, Shaka Nkofo a écrit :
>> http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx
>>
>> I found this shop while looking for parts to build a home router. Has
>> anyone been through this and can give me links to cheap parts within
>> Europe?
>>
>> Any advise on the pitfalls of this process is welcome
>>
>> Shaka
>>

> You could also look at soekris :
> http://www.soekris.eu/shop/index.php

Not from within Europe, but we use the Alix machines very heavily and
have ordered over a hundred from Netgate. We've had great luck with the
2D13 boards and the vendor.

--
James Shupe

Re: pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

Sean Kamath-5
[And now I'll CC the entire list. :-P)

On Sep 11, 2012, at 2:47 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:38:28AM +0200, Shaka Nkofo wrote:
>> http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx
>>
>> I found this shop while looking for parts to build a home router. Has
>> anyone been through this and can give me links to cheap parts within
Europe?

> For Alix, pcengines.ch could be a useful place to start.
>
> For those of us on even slimmer budgets, building infrastructure by dumpster
> diving works too.

I ended up buying direct from PC Engines for my alix 2d13's.  Even though I'm
in the US, it was cheaper than netgate (where I bought a bunch of the exact
same thing for work).  I ended up getting the red metal cases because they
were cheaper and in stock. ;-)

And as far as I'm concerned, these little alix boards rock.

Sean

Re: pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

Johan Beisser
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Sean Kamath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I ended up buying direct from PC Engines for my alix 2d13's.  Even though I'm
> in the US, it was cheaper than netgate (where I bought a bunch of the exact
> same thing for work).  I ended up getting the red metal cases because they
> were cheaper and in stock. ;-)
>
> And as far as I'm concerned, these little alix boards rock.

Just to throw fuel on the fire, I've got a 10+ year old Soekris
net4501 that still works as a home router. The onboard battery died,
and the clock loses ticks quickly enough that I'm using rdate in cron
to correct it.

Outside of that, I found that npppd, when running l2tp for the system,
can cause the kernel to hang so thoroughly only a power off can fix
it. I'm still diagnosing it, but I'm assuming it's a problem with the
CPU being overwhelmed with decrypting/encrypting traffic. Eventually,
I'll catch the crash and get a backtrace on console (I've reenabled
snapshot debugging and DDB to get this) for the devs.

But, 10 years old and still running full network loads at home. I
can't complain about the hardware.

OpenBSD 5.2-current (GENERIC) #8: Tue Sep  4 02:16:50 MDT 2012
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: AMD Am486DX4 W/B or Am5x86 W/B 150 ("AuthenticAMD" 486-class)
cpu0: FPU
real mem  = 66646016 (63MB)
avail mem = 54689792 (52MB)
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 20/50/27, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xf7840
pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.0 @ 0xf0000/0x10000
[...]
wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0/8 irq 14
wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <SanDisk SDCFH-004G>
wd0: 1-sector PIO, LBA48, 3815MB, 7813120 sectors
wd0(wdc0:0:0): using BIOS timings

On 2012-09-12, Sean Kamath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [And now I'll CC the entire list. :-P)
>
> On Sep 11, 2012, at 2:47 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:38:28AM +0200, Shaka Nkofo wrote:
>>> http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Kits-C82.aspx
>>>
>>> I found this shop while looking for parts to build a home router. Has
>>> anyone been through this and can give me links to cheap parts within
> Europe?
>>
>> For Alix, pcengines.ch could be a useful place to start.
>>
>> For those of us on even slimmer budgets, building infrastructure by dumpster
>> diving works too.
>
> I ended up buying direct from PC Engines for my alix 2d13's.  Even though I'm
> in the US, it was cheaper than netgate (where I bought a bunch of the exact
> same thing for work).  I ended up getting the red metal cases because they
> were cheaper and in stock. ;-)
>
> And as far as I'm concerned, these little alix boards rock.
>
> Sean

For ADSL type speeds they're pretty good for the price, but above
60Mbps or so (or less if you're doing a lot of small packets e.g.
voip) they're definitely pushing it..

Re: pfsense and or OpenBSD Home router.

Bentley, Dain
I've had good luck with the supermicro 1u with the intel atom processors. Add
a riser card, intel dual gig port nic, 2gigs of RAM and you have a good
machine. I also put a 32 gig SSD and I have a quiet, low power packet pusher.
I'd also drop the pfsense in favor of OpenBSD

Regards,
Dain Bentley

Le 2012-09-11 09:59, James Shupe a écrit :
> Not from within Europe,

Not build in europe but this link was the europe shop so it answer the
original question.

Michel