petitboot / partition table issue

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

petitboot / partition table issue

Daniel Pocock

I had another go at this today

I used the latest snapshot, 6 September:

sha256sum install68.iso
aa7b5270506dcccd80045dae22fb8a6aeb4c892d71f74c6e27175d30295f9b17

I removed the LSI HBA and I put a blank SSD into a Sharkoon USB 3 dock.

The installer was able to install into the docked SSD

When the machine rebooted, the Talos II bootloader, petitboot, did not
display OpenBSD in the list of boot options

I exited the menu to check the petitboot shell and using fdisk, I can
see that the petitboot kernel has found the USB dock.  It seems that the
petitboot menu system isn't recognizing the OpenBSD partition.  Can
anybody make any suggestion how to troubleshoot or how to select the
partition and make it boot?


# fdisk /dev/sda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 21889.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sda: 168 GB, 180045766656 bytes, 351651888 sectors
21889 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device  Boot StartCHS    EndCHS        StartLBA     EndLBA    Sectors
Size Id Type
/dev/sda4 *  1,5,5       1023,254,63      16384  351646784  351630401
167G a6 OpenBSD

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: petitboot / partition table issue

Mark Kettenis
> From: Daniel Pocock <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 20:18:57 +0200
>
> I had another go at this today
>
> I used the latest snapshot, 6 September:
>
> sha256sum install68.iso
> aa7b5270506dcccd80045dae22fb8a6aeb4c892d71f74c6e27175d30295f9b17
>
> I removed the LSI HBA and I put a blank SSD into a Sharkoon USB 3 dock.
>
> The installer was able to install into the docked SSD
>
> When the machine rebooted, the Talos II bootloader, petitboot, did not
> display OpenBSD in the list of boot options
>
> I exited the menu to check the petitboot shell and using fdisk, I can
> see that the petitboot kernel has found the USB dock.  It seems that the
> petitboot menu system isn't recognizing the OpenBSD partition.  Can
> anybody make any suggestion how to troubleshoot or how to select the
> partition and make it boot?
>
>
> # fdisk /dev/sda
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 21889.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Command (m for help): p
> Disk /dev/sda: 168 GB, 180045766656 bytes, 351651888 sectors
> 21889 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>
> Device  Boot StartCHS    EndCHS        StartLBA     EndLBA    Sectors
> Size Id Type
> /dev/sda4 *  1,5,5       1023,254,63      16384  351646784  351630401
> 167G a6 OpenBSD

The Petitboot Linux kernel doesn't understand the OpenBSD's disklabel.
So what the installer does (if you select "(W)hole disk") is create a 0C
FAT partition and an A6 OpenBSD partition.  The FAT partition is used
to store the OpenBSD bootloader and a GRUB-style menu.cfg that tells
Petitboot that there is a bootable OS on the disk.

I don't see the FAT partition in your fdisk output, which makes me
suspect that you follwed the "(E)dit MBR" path instead.  In that case
your on your own and if you don't create a FAT partition the disk will
not be recognized by Petitboot.

Cheers,

Mark

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: petitboot / partition table issue

Daniel Pocock


On 12/09/2020 20:01, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> I don't see the FAT partition in your fdisk output, which makes me
> suspect that you follwed the "(E)dit MBR" path instead.  In that case
> your on your own and if you don't create a FAT partition the disk will
> not be recognized by Petitboot.

Yes, you are correct

I don't remember exactly what the prompt was, but when the installer
asked me to choose between whole disk and MBR, I thought whole disk was
a more drastic option that might impact my plans to put other OSes on
the disk.

I'll try the whole process again and see if I can get further

Thanks for your help with all of this

Regards,

Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: petitboot / partition table issue

Daniel Pocock


On 12/09/2020 20:09, Daniel Pocock wrote:

>
>
> On 12/09/2020 20:01, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>
>> I don't see the FAT partition in your fdisk output, which makes me
>> suspect that you follwed the "(E)dit MBR" path instead.  In that case
>> your on your own and if you don't create a FAT partition the disk will
>> not be recognized by Petitboot.
>
> Yes, you are correct
>
> I don't remember exactly what the prompt was, but when the installer
> asked me to choose between whole disk and MBR, I thought whole disk was
> a more drastic option that might impact my plans to put other OSes on
> the disk.
>
> I'll try the whole process again and see if I can get further

Thanks again, this fixed the issue

Here is what I did:

Talos II, dual 8 core, 128GB
- removed the LSI HBA (mpii not working)
- added USB 3 dock with SSD
- Radeon RX 580 (not tested)

Using the same installer snapshot mentioned in my earlier email, I was
able to to install to the USB 3 docked SSD

At the disk selection question, it defaulted to sd0 which was the
installer USB stick.  I had to change this to sd1, the SSD in the dock.
 The same thing happened on the previous install.

When the partitioning prompt appeared, I just chose the whole disk option

Rebooting from the installer, petitboot shows OpenBSD, I select it and
it boots from the dock

During the first boot, there is a long delay, maybe 5 minutes, at this step:

  reordering libraries: done.


I can now log in to OpenBSD

Can anybody suggest when it will be feasible to try amdgpu or is there
any other graphics card I could try now?

Is there anything I can do to get verbose output from mpii about the LSI
HBA?  If I can provide any more detailed logs then I would be happy to
do so.

Regards,

Daniel