pcn0: packet spilled into next buffer

Indunil Jayasooriya
Hi mics,

I just installed OpenBSD 5 64 bit as a VM on Redhat Linux KVM .

Then, I got below error?

pcn0: packet spilled into next buffer

I searched the internet . then, I got below URL

http://www.google.lk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=packet spilled into next
buffer&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.irisa.fr
%2Fpub%2FOpenBSD%2Fsrc%2Fsys%2Fdev%2Fpci%2Fif_pcn.c&ei=0KMGT8bKJPHQmAWiutSxAg&usg=AFQjCNE_6v0It-SIaxCx7Yblsbf2Po1Y9g&cad=rja

But, I can't get an idea from it.

It is normal or should I solve it ?

Hope to hear from you.

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya

Re: pcn0: packet spilled into next buffer

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Indunil Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi mics,
>

> I just installed OpenBSD 5 64 bit as a VM on Redhat Linux KVM .
>
> Then, I got below error?
>
> pcn0: packet spilled into next buffer
>

> I searched the internet . then, I got below URL
>

> http://www.google.lk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=packet spilled into next
> buffer&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.irisa.fr
> %2Fpub%2FOpenBSD%2Fsrc%2Fsys%2Fdev%2Fpci%2Fif_pcn.c&ei=0KMGT8bKJPHQmAWiutSxAg&usg=AFQjCNE_6v0It-SIaxCx7Yblsbf2Po1Y9g&cad=rja
>

> But, I can't get an idea from it.
>
> It is normal or should I solve it ?

Bugs in virtual SW are not problem of OpenBSD ;-)

On 2012-01-06, Indunil Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi mics,
>

> I just installed OpenBSD 5 64 bit as a VM on Redhat Linux KVM .
>
> Then, I got below error?
>
> pcn0: packet spilled into next buffer
>

> I searched the internet . then, I got below URL
>

> http://www.google.lk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=packet spilled into next
> buffer&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.irisa.fr
> %2Fpub%2FOpenBSD%2Fsrc%2Fsys%2Fdev%2Fpci%2Fif_pcn.c&ei=0KMGT8bKJPHQmAWiutSxAg&usg=AFQjCNE_6v
0It-SIaxCx7Yblsbf2Po1Y9g&cad=rja

> But, I can't get an idea from it.
>
> It is normal or should I solve it ?
>

> Hope to hear from you.

This is coming from pcn(4)'s receive interrupt handler. If my
understanding is right, it's checking that the packet coming from
the nic did indeed come in a single buffer as it should (i.e. if
I'm correct, this being triggered indicates a problem with the
emulated nic).

You should probably switch to an emulated em(4) which is likely to
work better. If you have 'watchdog timeout' problems with em(4) on KVM
(due to interrupt routing issues) then try -current, which copes better
with some nonstandard bios tables that have been a problem with some
versions of KVM. (Before this change in -current, people were using
'disable mpbios' in the kernel config editor to work around the issue).

Re: pcn0: packet spilled into next buffer

Indunil Jayasooriya
> Then, I got below error?
> >
> > pcn0: packet spilled into next buffer

      I got it before, But, Now, I do NOT get it.

I did below stuffs. (
http://www.webspy.com.au/blogs/index.php/openbsd-46-on-xenserver-5/ )

# config -e -f /bsd
ukc> disable uhci
ukc> quit

But, I doubt about it. Some how, Now, I do NOT get  the above error.

You should probably switch to an emulated em(4) which is likely to
> work better. If you have 'watchdog timeout' problems with em(4) on KVM

yeah, I got watchdog timeout

I deleted ethernet from KVM and added ne2k_pci

Now, All is OKAY. I am really happy.

Stuart, many thanks for your effort to help me.

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya

--