pcengines apu boards

Paul B. Henson
I was wondering if anybody is successfully running openbsd on pcengines apu
boards? I have one of their APU3 series, specifically a apu3b4 with OpenBSD
6.2 on it but I can't get the USB2 EHCI ports functioning correctly (for one
thing, they don't detect a hot plugged device), I'm not sure if it's an
issue with the ehci driver and the amd ehci chipset or possibly something in
the bios acpi tables. But just as a data point, it would be interesting to
know if the problem is specific to my board or endemic to the design, so if
anyone has an APU series board with fully functional USB2 ports on the ehci
controller, I would much appreciate hearing which board it is, which
specific AMD chipset is driving the controller, and what bios version you
are running (and what OpenBSD version too).

Thanks much.

Re: pcengines apu boards

Base Pr1me
I run 5 apu2 devices with no problems. I don't have any apu3 devices ... yet.

On 11/30/17 3:00 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody is successfully running openbsd on pcengines apu
> boards? I have one of their APU3 series, specifically a apu3b4 with OpenBSD
> 6.2 on it but I can't get the USB2 EHCI ports functioning correctly (for one
> thing, they don't detect a hot plugged device), I'm not sure if it's an
> issue with the ehci driver and the amd ehci chipset or possibly something in
> the bios acpi tables. But just as a data point, it would be interesting to
> know if the problem is specific to my board or endemic to the design, so if
> anyone has an APU series board with fully functional USB2 ports on the ehci
> controller, I would much appreciate hearing which board it is, which
> specific AMD chipset is driving the controller, and what bios version you
> are running (and what OpenBSD version too).
>
> Thanks much.

Re: pcengines apu boards

sarlok
On 30.11.2017 14:08, Base Pr1me wrote:

> I run 5 apu2 devices with no problems. I don't have any apu3 devices
> ... yet.
>
> On 11/30/17 3:00 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
>> I was wondering if anybody is successfully running openbsd on
>> pcengines apu
>> boards? I have one of their APU3 series, specifically a apu3b4 with
>> OpenBSD
>> 6.2 on it but I can't get the USB2 EHCI ports functioning correctly
>> (for one
>> thing, they don't detect a hot plugged device), I'm not sure if it's
>> an
>> issue with the ehci driver and the amd ehci chipset or possibly
>> something in
>> the bios acpi tables. But just as a data point, it would be
>> interesting to
>> know if the problem is specific to my board or endemic to the
>> design, so if
>> anyone has an APU series board with fully functional USB2 ports on
>> the ehci
>> controller, I would much appreciate hearing which board it is, which
>> specific AMD chipset is driving the controller, and what bios
>> version you
>> are running (and what OpenBSD version too).
>>
>> Thanks much.

No problems here running on APU and APU2 boards, or their USB ports for
peripherals and Flash drives - The latter usually a Kingston
datatraveler.
I too have not yet seen or tried an APU3.

Re: pcengines apu boards

Bryan C. Everly-2
I'm running my primary firewall at home on an apu2...

On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 15:08 -0700, Base Pr1me wrote:

> I run 5 apu2 devices with no problems. I don't have any apu3 devices
> ... yet.
>
> On 11/30/17 3:00 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> > I was wondering if anybody is successfully running openbsd on
> > pcengines apu
> > boards? I have one of their APU3 series, specifically a apu3b4 with
> > OpenBSD
> > 6.2 on it but I can't get the USB2 EHCI ports functioning correctly
> > (for one
> > thing, they don't detect a hot plugged device), I'm not sure if
> > it's an
> > issue with the ehci driver and the amd ehci chipset or possibly
> > something in
> > the bios acpi tables. But just as a data point, it would be
> > interesting to
> > know if the problem is specific to my board or endemic to the
> > design, so if
> > anyone has an APU series board with fully functional USB2 ports on
> > the ehci
> > controller, I would much appreciate hearing which board it is,
> > which
> > specific AMD chipset is driving the controller, and what bios
> > version you
> > are running (and what OpenBSD version too).
> >
> > Thanks much.

Re: pcengines apu boards

Eike Lantzsch
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:45:32 PM -03 Bryan Everly wrote:

> I'm running my primary firewall at home on an apu2...
>
> On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 15:08 -0700, Base Pr1me wrote:
> > I run 5 apu2 devices with no problems. I don't have any apu3 devices
> > ... yet.
> >
> > On 11/30/17 3:00 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> > > I was wondering if anybody is successfully running openbsd on
> > > pcengines apu
> > > boards? I have one of their APU3 series, specifically a apu3b4 with
> > > OpenBSD
> > > 6.2 on it but I can't get the USB2 EHCI ports functioning correctly
> > > (for one
> > > thing, they don't detect a hot plugged device), I'm not sure if
> > > it's an
> > > issue with the ehci driver and the amd ehci chipset or possibly
> > > something in
> > > the bios acpi tables. But just as a data point, it would be
> > > interesting to
> > > know if the problem is specific to my board or endemic to the
> > > design, so if
> > > anyone has an APU series board with fully functional USB2 ports on
> > > the ehci
> > > controller, I would much appreciate hearing which board it is,
> > > which
> > > specific AMD chipset is driving the controller, and what bios
> > > version you
> > > are running (and what OpenBSD version too).
> > >
> > > Thanks much.
can't say anything about APU3 but ...

here: APU2C4 with one SATA drive of 6TB and one 4TB via USB3 and an adaptor to
SATA as a home file server. OBSD 6.2 release.
No problems so far

OpenBSD 6.2 (GENERIC.MP) #0: Thu Oct 12 19:53:18 CEST 2017
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/
GENERIC.MP
real mem = 4261072896 (4063MB)
avail mem = 4124913664 (3933MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.7 @ 0xdffb7020 (7 entries)
bios0: vendor coreboot version "88a4f96" date 03/07/2016
bios0: PC Engines apu2
acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
acpi0: sleep states S0 S1 S2 S3 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP SSDT APIC HEST SSDT SSDT HPET
acpi0: wakeup devices PWRB(S4) PBR4(S4) PBR5(S4) PBR6(S4) PBR7(S4) PBR8(S4)
UOH1(S3) UOH3(S3) UOH5(S3) XHC0(S4)
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 32 bits
acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: AMD GX-412TC SOC, 998.27 MHz
cpu0:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,
3DNOWP,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,TOPEXT,ITSC,BMI1
cpu0: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 2MB 64b/line
16-way L2 cache
cpu0: ITLB 32 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: TSC frequency 998269680 Hz
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 8 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 99MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 1 (application processor)
cpu1: AMD GX-412TC SOC, 998.12 MHz
cpu1:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,
3DNOWP,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,TOPEXT,ITSC,BMI1
cpu1: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 2MB 64b/line
16-way L2 cache
cpu1: ITLB 32 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: smt 0, core 1, package 0
cpu2 at mainbus0: apid 2 (application processor)
cpu2: AMD GX-412TC SOC, 998.12 MHz
cpu2:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,
3DNOWP,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,TOPEXT,ITSC,BMI1
cpu2: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 2MB 64b/line
16-way L2 cache
cpu2: ITLB 32 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu2: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu2: smt 0, core 2, package 0
cpu3 at mainbus0: apid 3 (application processor)
cpu3: AMD GX-412TC SOC, 998.12 MHz
cpu3:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,
3DNOWP,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,TOPEXT,ITSC,BMI1
cpu3: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 2MB 64b/line
16-way L2 cache
cpu3: ITLB 32 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu3: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu3: smt 0, core 3, package 0
ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 4 pa 0xfec00000, version 21, 24 pins
ioapic1 at mainbus0: apid 5 pa 0xfec20000, version 21, 32 pins
, remapped to apid 5
acpihpet0 at acpi0: 14318180 Hz
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus -1 (PBR4)
acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 1 (PBR5)
acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus 2 (PBR6)
acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus 3 (PBR7)
acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus 4 (PBR8)
acpicpu0 at acpi0: C2(0@400 io@0x1771), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpicpu1 at acpi0: C2(0@400 io@0x1771), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpicpu2 at acpi0: C2(0@400 io@0x1771), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpicpu3 at acpi0: C2(0@400 io@0x1771), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpibtn0 at acpi0: PWRB
cpu0: 998 MHz: speeds: 1000 800 600 MHz
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "AMD AMD64 16h Root Complex" rev 0x00
pchb1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "AMD AMD64 16h Host" rev 0x00
ppb0 at pci0 dev 2 function 2 "AMD AMD64 16h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
em0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Intel I210" rev 0x03: msi, address
00:0d:b9:44:57:14
ppb1 at pci0 dev 2 function 3 "AMD AMD64 16h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
em1 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel I210" rev 0x03: msi, address
00:0d:b9:44:57:15
ppb2 at pci0 dev 2 function 4 "AMD AMD64 16h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
em2 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 "Intel I210" rev 0x03: msi, address
00:0d:b9:44:57:16
ppb3 at pci0 dev 2 function 5 "AMD AMD64 16h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci4 at ppb3 bus 4
jme0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "JMicron JMC250" rev 0x03: msi, address
d8:9d:b9:00:2b:64
jmphy0 at jme0 phy 1: JMP211 10/100/1000 PHY, rev. 1
"AMD CCP" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 8 function 0 not configured
xhci0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 "AMD Bolton xHCI" rev 0x11: msi
usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "AMD xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00
addr 1
ahci0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "AMD Hudson-2 SATA" rev 0x40: apic 4 int 19,
AHCI 1.3
ahci0: port 0: 6.0Gb/s
ahci0: port 1: 6.0Gb/s
scsibus1 at ahci0: 32 targets
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 0 lun 0: <ATA, TS32GMSA370, N112> SCSI3 0/direct fixed
t10.ATA_TS32GMSA370_C421870614_
sd0: 30533MB, 512 bytes/sector, 62533296 sectors, thin
sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <ATA, ST6000VN0041-2EL, SC61> SCSI3 0/direct
fixed naa.5000c5009367747a
sd1: 5723166MB, 512 bytes/sector, 11721045168 sectors
ehci0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "AMD Hudson-2 USB2" rev 0x39: apic 4 int 18
usb1 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 configuration 1 interface 0 "AMD EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00
addr 1
piixpm0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "AMD Hudson-2 SMBus" rev 0x42: SMBus
disabled
pcib0 at pci0 dev 20 function 3 "AMD Hudson-2 LPC" rev 0x11
sdhc0 at pci0 dev 20 function 7 "AMD Bolton SD/MMC" rev 0x01: apic 4 int 16
sdhc0: SDHC 2.0, 63 MHz base clock
sdmmc0 at sdhc0: 4-bit, sd high-speed, mmc high-speed, dma
pchb2 at pci0 dev 24 function 0 "AMD AMD64 16h Link Cfg" rev 0x00
pchb3 at pci0 dev 24 function 1 "AMD AMD64 16h Address Map" rev 0x00
pchb4 at pci0 dev 24 function 2 "AMD AMD64 16h DRAM Cfg" rev 0x00
km0 at pci0 dev 24 function 3 "AMD AMD64 16h Misc Cfg" rev 0x00
pchb5 at pci0 dev 24 function 4 "AMD AMD64 16h CPU Power" rev 0x00
pchb6 at pci0 dev 24 function 5 "AMD AMD64 16h Misc Cfg" rev 0x00
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
com0: console
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
spkr0 at pcppi0
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
wbsio0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2: NCT5104D rev 0x52
vmm0 at mainbus0: SVM/RVI
scsibus2 at sdmmc0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd2 at scsibus2 targ 1 lun 0: <SD/MMC, SS16G, 0080> SCSI2 0/direct removable
sd2: 15193MB, 512 bytes/sector, 31116288 sectors
umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Asmedia ASM1351" rev
3.10/1.00 addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus3 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd3 at scsibus3 targ 1 lun 0: <ASMT, 2135, 0> SCSI4 0/direct fixed serial.
174c13511234567891CF
sd3: 3815447MB, 512 bytes/sector, 7814037168 sectors
uhub2 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Advanced Micro Devices
product 0x7900" rev 2.00/0.18 addr 2
vscsi0 at root
scsibus4 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus5 at softraid0: 256 targets
root on sd0a (b14c7cf55471ebf4.a) swap on sd0b dump on sd0b

Re: pcengines apu boards

Paul B. Henson

Thanks for the feedback. Do you by any chance have any USB type Mini PCI cards installed internally? I initially noticed the issue with a mini PCI LTE modem card. Then I realized it was a more generic USB problem; I believe the apu2 has USB1 and USB2 ports, the apu3 has two USB3 ports externally, and then the mini PCI and a couple of internal headers are USB2. The USB3 ports, using the xHCI driver, work fine, I suppose in the worst case I could use an external Mini PCI to USB adapter and plug the card in outside of the case, but that just seems so kludgy <sigh>.

I actually found a friend locally who had a apu2 board, he couldn't get the LTE card to work on the internal mini PCI slot, which also appeared to be EHCI based, and it would sometimes work and sometimes not plugged into the external USB ports. It was really weird, when plugged into the same external port, sometimes the device would show up on the EHCI bus (and not work) and sometimes it would show up on the OHCI bus (and work). He didn't seem to have any trouble with USB flash drives on the EHCI bus on his apu2 though.

Re: pcengines apu boards

Paul B. Henson

Cool. Have you ever tried using an internal Mini PCI card in it?

Re: pcengines apu boards

Paul B. Henson

Hmm, I didn't think the apu2 had USB3, but double checking the specs I see
it does. My friend that said he had an APU2 must actually have an original
APU, as his board doesn't have USB3. Yeah, the external xHCI USB3 ports work
fine on my APU3, it's the EHCI ones that are screwed up, they are only
available via two internal headers or if you use the Mini PCI slot. There
probably aren't very many people that are routing the internal USB headers
to external connectors, so unless somebody is using a USB Mini PCI expansion
card on an APU2/3, they probably aren't using the EHCI controller.

Thanks for the info.

Re: pcengines apu boards

Douglas Ray
On 1/12/17 11:48 AM, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> [...]

On the APU3a4 the internal USB headers were broken.
I had email from pcengines (March 2017) saying this would
be addressed in the APU3b series., but we went for APU2.

Have you asked pcengines if your internal USB
headers are fully functional?

Douglas Ray

Re: pcengines apu boards

Paul B. Henson
On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 10:40:14PM +1000, Douglas Ray wrote:

> On the APU3a4 the internal USB headers were broken.
> I had email from pcengines (March 2017) saying this would
> be addressed in the APU3b series., but we went for APU2.

I have a APU3b series, they fixed the incorrect pinout on the internal
usb headers. The internal ECHI ports work fine under both linux and
freebsd connected to a USB backplate I'm testing with. It's definitely a
disagreement between the AMD EHCI USB chipset and OpenBSD <sigh>. I'm
going to see if I can port some of the workarounds and quirks for that
chipset from linux/freebsd to the openbsd driver and see if I have any
luck getting it working; drivers aren't my strong suite but we'll see
what happens. In the worst case I guess I'll use an external miniPCI to
USB adapter and connect my LTE modem to the external xHCI ports, they
seem to work fine under OpenBSD.

Thanks...

Re: pcengines apu boards

Marko Cupać
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 20:08:41 -0800
"Paul B. Henson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 10:40:14PM +1000, Douglas Ray wrote:
>
> > On the APU3a4 the internal USB headers were broken.
> > I had email from pcengines (March 2017) saying this would
> > be addressed in the APU3b series., but we went for APU2.
>
> I have a APU3b series, they fixed the incorrect pinout on the internal
> usb headers. The internal ECHI ports work fine under both linux and
> freebsd connected to a USB backplate I'm testing with. It's
> definitely a disagreement between the AMD EHCI USB chipset and
> OpenBSD <sigh>. I'm going to see if I can port some of the
> workarounds and quirks for that chipset from linux/freebsd to the
> openbsd driver and see if I have any luck getting it working; drivers
> aren't my strong suite but we'll see what happens. In the worst case
> I guess I'll use an external miniPCI to USB adapter and connect my
> LTE modem to the external xHCI ports, they seem to work fine under
> OpenBSD.
>
> Thanks...

I have a bunch of APU2c4's, they play nice with OpenBSD. Actually my
complete fleet (~20) of branch office routers are based on
APU2c4's running various OpenBSD versions (I think the oldest is 5.8).

I have just ordered one APU3b4, as I wanted to test mobile provider as
a backup link. I see it probably won't be any good as OpenBSD router
(yet), but at least I'll be able to test and give feedback.

After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/

> I have just ordered one APU3b4, as I wanted to test mobile provider as
> a backup link. I see it probably won't be any good as OpenBSD router
> (yet), but at least I'll be able to test and give feedback.

Assuming you're planning to use an internal Mini PCI card, unless you have more luck than me, it's not going to work :(. I'm hoping I will be able to fix the EHCI driver to be more happy with the AMD USB chipset, but this point I'm still fumbling with it :).

Re: pcengines apu boards

Marko Cupać
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 12:53:26 -0800
"Paul B. Henson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

My APU3b4 has just arrived, hopefully I'll have time to install it with
OpenBSD tomorrow and send feedback.