paramtere not supported anymore? kern.machdep getting error .... (kde/gnome...)

paramtere not supported anymore? kern.machdep getting error .... (kde/gnome...)

badeguruji
Hello,

while trying to configure kde for openbsd. i referred to this document:

http://www.openbsdsupport.org/obsd_desktop.html

Check if
kern.machdep is set to 1 in your

/etc/sysctl.conf file. If not, change it. You can use

sysctl -w kern.machdep=1 to  activate it without rebooting.

but when i add that to sysctl, i get following error at system startup time: (which i also get when i try command line)

# sysctl -w kern.machdep=1
sysctl: second level name machdep in kern.machdep is invalid
#

I tried to look into internet for definition of macdep but found nothing. what is it and what are its effects?

All things are not ok here(some related issues)....

kde does not start properly on system startup. i have to ssh into the system from another host and start kde with 'startkde' command. and then it runs fine.

1. i do not get logon screen when i power on the system.
2. after starting x or kde from cmdline (from a ssh session from another machine), i can only end the gui session and do not get oiption to shutdown the system.
3. from a ssh session, i can only start kde as root, it fails as another user....

i am researching but could not solve the puzzle yet. any/all help is appreciated.

Here are my changes to main config files to get x/kde running. (x is running fine on this box otherwise)

0./etc/sysctl.conf
no change as i installed X with initial install and it already has :
machdep.allowaperture=2

1. rc.conf.local
    kdm_flags=""

2. /etc/rc.local
    if [ "X${kdm_flags}" != X"NO" ]; then
       /usr/local/bin/kdm ${kdm_flags} ;
       echo -n 'kdm '
    fi

3./etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
#xconsole -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24 &
#fvwm || xterm
/usr/local/bin/startkde

4./etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
case $# in
1)
        case $1 in
        failsafe)
                /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
                do_exit
                ;;
        kde | default)
                /usr/local/bin/startkde
                do_exit
                ;;
        gnome)
                /usr/local/bin/gnome-session
                do_exit
                ;;
        esac
esac
#/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm &
#/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm
/usr/local/bin/startkde

thank you.
BG

________________________________
~~Kalyan-mastu~~

Re: paramtere not supported anymore? kern.machdep getting error .... (kde/gnome...)

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
badeguruji <[hidden email]> writes:

> while trying to configure kde for openbsd. i referred to this document:
>
> http://www.openbsdsupport.org/obsd_desktop.html

That document is seriously out of date, see the warning (red, even) at
the main page at that site, http://www.openbsdsupport.org/index.html

For an up to date guide, http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html is a
lot better place to start.  Then install the kde packages and pay
attention to the package messages.  At first glance it looks like
you're mostly there with the rc.local changes.  The xinitrc and
Xsession edits are not really needed if all you want is a kde desktop.
In addition to kdm startup, modern kde packages tend to want fam
and possibly dbus-daemon, again watch the package messages.

(and I'll save the rant about eejits dumping their barely edited
this-worked-for-me-except-the-stuff-I-forgot-to-mention "HOWTO"s on
the web and leave them there to mislead way past their rm by date for
sometime later)
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.datadok.no/ http://www.nuug.no/