output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Patrick YU
Hello !  Now that armv7 boards can output to hdmi monitors by typing
"set tty fb0" at the boot prompt via a serial connection from another
machine, how can I save this tty setting on the board such that I can
use the hdmi monitor permanently even across power cycles.

Thanks in advance.

--
Patrick
https://monero.how

Re: output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (Patrick), 2020.06.27 (Sat) 02:48 (CEST):
> Hello !  Now that armv7 boards can output to hdmi monitors by typing "set
> tty fb0" at the boot prompt via a serial connection from another machine,
> how can I save this tty setting on the board such that I can use the hdmi
> monitor permanently even across power cycles.

$ echo "set tty fb0" >> boot.conf(8)

Marcus

Re: output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Unicorn
> $ echo "set tty fb0" >> boot.conf(8)

Where is that meant to go? I'd appreciate a bit of explanation,
especially since I don't seem to have that manpage. :)

Re: output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (Unicorn), 2020.07.01 (Wed) 17:36 (CEST):
> > $ echo "set tty fb0" >> boot.conf(8)
>
> Where is that meant to go? I'd appreciate a bit of explanation,
> especially since I don't seem to have that manpage. :)

ouch! boot.conf(8) doesn't seem to exist on arm64. (apropos boot.conf)
this was bad advice from me. sorry about that!
my amd64 experience outweighs my arm64 mileage by (too) far.

oh, and the "(8)" was confusing, too, as ian noted.

marcus

Re: output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Scott Seekamp-2
I just tested on a pi4 and it worked beautifully. /etc/boot.conf

Scott

> On Jul 1, 2020, at 11:43, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [hidden email] (Unicorn), 2020.07.01 (Wed) 17:36 (CEST):
>>> $ echo "set tty fb0" >> boot.conf(8)
>>
>> Where is that meant to go? I'd appreciate a bit of explanation,
>> especially since I don't seem to have that manpage. :)
>
> ouch! boot.conf(8) doesn't seem to exist on arm64. (apropos boot.conf)
> this was bad advice from me. sorry about that!
> my amd64 experience outweighs my arm64 mileage by (too) far.
>
> oh, and the "(8)" was confusing, too, as ian noted.
>
> marcus

Re: output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Tim Leslie-3
Can this be integrated into the install process? The default terminal is
solicited directly there

-- Tim

On Wed, 2020-07-01 at 19:42 +0200, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:

> [hidden email] (Unicorn), 2020.07.01 (Wed) 17:36 (CEST):
> > > $ echo "set tty fb0" >> boot.conf(8)
> >
> > Where is that meant to go? I'd appreciate a bit of explanation,
> > especially since I don't seem to have that manpage. :)
>
> ouch! boot.conf(8) doesn't seem to exist on arm64. (apropos
> boot.conf)
> this was bad advice from me. sorry about that!
> my amd64 experience outweighs my arm64 mileage by (too) far.
>
> oh, and the "(8)" was confusing, too, as ian noted.
>
> marcus

Yeah, doesn't exist on armv7 either, but your instructions worked! :)
Thank you to Scott for clarifying where the boot.conf needs to go,
that was all I was missing. It also now works on my A20-OLinuXino-
LIME2.

And it is confusing that the manpage doesn't exist for arm*
architectures. Thank you all for your help!

On 2020/07/01 12:04, Scott Seekamp wrote:
> I just tested on a pi4 and it worked beautifully. /etc/boot.conf

Well that's quite a surprise, with set tty fb0 the framebuffer console
is working nicely (which I didn't expect) *and* X is also working and
pretty responsive (which I _really_ didn't expect).

Of course not all applications work :)

Re: output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Raf Czlonka-2
On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 09:05:20PM BST, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2020/07/01 12:04, Scott Seekamp wrote:
> > I just tested on a pi4 and it worked beautifully. /etc/boot.conf
>
> Well that's quite a surprise, with set tty fb0 the framebuffer console
> is working nicely (which I didn't expect) *and* X is also working and
> pretty responsive (which I _really_ didn't expect).

Yup, I'm using /etc/boot.conf on the *installation* medium (SD
card), in order to boot the system which is already installed on
the eMMC. Pinebook, *not* Pro.

Is there any reason why boot(8) man page isn't available on arm64?

Cheers,

Raf

Re: output to hdmi monitor across power cycles

Stuart Henderson
On 2020/07/01 22:40, Raf Czlonka wrote:
> Is there any reason why boot(8) man page isn't available on arm64?

Because it is MD (machine-dependent, i.e. particular to the machine
architecture) and only versions for amd64/i386/hppa/landisk have been
written/committed so far.

The boot(8) pages are kept in /sys/arch/*/stand/boot, there are also
boot_xxx.8 files in src/share/man/man8/man8.* explaining how the system
boot process works on those architectures (boot_amd64(8), etc); there's
more coverage than boot(8) for this but still not for all arches.

If someone has a bit of spare time to put something together, this
is clearly a missing piece that would be useful to have.