ospf point to point network

Kapetanakis Giannis
Hi,

I'd like to ask if point-to-point support has been added in ospfd.

I've read this
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=136580208222751&w=2

but I cant seem to find relevant entries in the source tree so probably
is still out?

regards,

Giannis

Re: ospf point to point network

Gregory Edigarov-5
Hi,

Not sure what want, but ospfd seems to properly detect interfaces, that
are p2p by their nature
(gif, gre, ppp, ....)
So I don't think it is necessary to specify.

On 18/12/14 11:59, Gregory Edigarov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure what want, but ospfd seems to properly detect interfaces,
> that are p2p by their nature
> (gif, gre, ppp, ....)
> So I don't think it is necessary to specify.
>
> On 12/17/2014 06:25 PM, Kapetanakis Giannis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to ask if point-to-point support has been added in ospfd.
>>
>> I've read this
>> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=136580208222751&w=2
>>
>> but I cant seem to find relevant entries in the source tree so
>> probably is still out?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Giannis

I'm not talking about p2p interfaces. I'm talking about normal ethernet
interfaces (vlan)
which should operate ospf in point-to-point network mode.

No, diff didn't work so it wasn't added.

On 18/12/14 22:38, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2014-12-17, Kapetanakis Giannis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to ask if point-to-point support has been added in ospfd.
>>
>> I've read this
>> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=136580208222751&w=2
>>
>> but I cant seem to find relevant entries in the source tree so probably
>> is still out?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Giannis
>>

> No, diff didn't work so it wasn't added.

Thanks for the update.

Re: ospf point to point network

Kapetanakis Giannis
Hi,

Can I get an update if point to point network support has been added in ospfd?

Thanks

On 19/12/2014 12:54, Kapetanakis Giannis wrote:

> On 18/12/14 22:38, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> On 2014-12-17, Kapetanakis Giannis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask if point-to-point support has been added in ospfd.
>>>
>>> I've read this
>>> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=136580208222751&w=2
>>>
>>> but I cant seem to find relevant entries in the source tree so probably
>>> is still out?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Giannis
>>>

>> No, diff didn't work so it wasn't added.
>>

> Thanks for the update.

Re: ospf point to point network

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-06-21, Kapetanakis Giannis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I get an update if point to point network support has been added in ospfd?
>
> Thanks

> On 19/12/2014 12:54, Kapetanakis Giannis wrote:

>>> No, diff didn't work so it wasn't added.
>>>

>> Thanks for the update.

Nothing changed in that respect. (For the benefit of the archives and
readers unfamiliar with the situation, point to point works fine on
a point-to-point interface, this is about ospfd pretending that an
ethernet interface is "point to point").

That is likely something that would be added to release notes if
it was added.

On 21/06/2019 20:30, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2019-06-21, Kapetanakis Giannis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I get an update if point to point network support has been added in ospfd?
>>
>> Thanks

>>> Thanks for the update.

> Nothing changed in that respect. (For the benefit of the archives and
> readers unfamiliar with the situation, point to point works fine on
> a point-to-point interface, this is about ospfd pretending that an
> ethernet interface is "point to point").
>
> That is likely something that would be added to release notes if
> it was added.

Thanks for the reply Stuart.

Is there any "hack" I can do with all those pseudo-interfaces available
in OB to full ospfd and do p2p?

For instance ifconfig(8) has ptp options for bridge.

A fellow reader of misc@ proposed gif(4), but my other end is a cisco
router.

best,

Re: ospf point to point network

Henry Bonath
What about GRE(4) with a Cisco router on the other end?

/etc/hostname.gre123:
1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 up
tunnel   IP.OF.OB.SD   IP.OF.I.OS

Cisco IOS:
!
interface Tunnel123
 ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
 tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/1
 tunnel destination IP.OF.OB.SD
 tunnel mode gre
!

On 2019-06-22, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about GRE(4) with a Cisco router on the other end?
>
> /etc/hostname.gre123:
> 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 up
> tunnel   IP.OF.OB.SD   IP.OF.I.OS
>
> Cisco IOS:
> !
> interface Tunnel123
>  ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
>  tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/1
>  tunnel destination IP.OF.OB.SD
>  tunnel mode gre
> !

That's likely to work, at the expense of reduced MTU. But is it really
worth it? The main problem with ethernet interfaces and ospfd was a bug
with DR elections but that has been fixed for a while now.

Re: ospf point to point network

Henry Bonath
I merely was giving an example of what *could* be done - not
necessarily of what *should* be done ;-)

On 23/06/2019 19:39, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2019-06-22, Henry Bonath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What about GRE(4) with a Cisco router on the other end?
>>
>> /etc/hostname.gre123:
>> 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 up
>> tunnel   IP.OF.OB.SD   IP.OF.I.OS
>>
>> Cisco IOS:
>> !
>> interface Tunnel123
>>   ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
>>   tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/1
>>   tunnel destination IP.OF.OB.SD
>>   tunnel mode gre
>> !
> That's likely to work, at the expense of reduced MTU. But is it really
> worth it? The main problem with ethernet interfaces and ospfd was a bug
> with DR elections but that has been fixed for a while now.

Yes, broadcast type network works fine.
I was just hoping getting rid of the whole election thing and maybe a
faster ospf sum-up.

thanks all for all the input,