openvpn setup tutorial

man Chan
Hello,
After a couple of days surfing the internet to get some notes to setup the openvpn, I got lost as I don't know how to start the job.  Can anyone show me some pointer to study openvpn and setup step by step ?

Thanks.
Clarence

Re: openvpn setup tutorial

Predrag Punosevac-2
man Chan <openbsd_gb () yahoo ! com ! hk> wrote:

> Hello,
> After a couple of days surfing the internet to get some notes to setup
> the openvpn, I got lost as I don't know how to start the job.   Can
> anyone show me some pointer to study openvpn and setup step by step ?

What is an OpenBSD specific question/problem you are trying to
communicate to OpenBSD community?

If you need a paid OpenBSD consultant they are listed on the project
main website

https://www.openbsd.org/support.html

If you need documentation how to set OpenVPN server you can find it on
the project website

https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resources/

or buy and study one of many books written about OpenVPN.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=OpenVPN&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

OpenBSD specific bits can be found in its usual location (pkg readme
files)

https://openports.pl/path/net/openvpn

As a side note OpenBSD is an excellent OS choice for a OpenVPN server. I
run several OpenVPN servers on OpenBSD in production with few hundred
clients. They are rock stable.

Best,
Predrag

> Thanks.
> Clarence

Re: openvpn setup tutorial

Anac
Hi Clarence,

On 5/20/20 7:35 PM, man Chan wrote:
> Can anyone show me some pointer to study openvpn and setup step by step ?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? A VPN server, a VPN home
router or just connecting a single machine to a commercial VPN provider
...? For the latter, https://ipredator.se/guide/openvpn/openbsd/native
was very helpful for me.

Anyway, it may be a good start to read the OpenBSD VPN FAQ
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq17.html
IKED seems to be a good choice for many use cases.

And of course, Peter Hansteen's "Book of PF" is a must read, although
unfortunately, it doesn't mention VPN. But since PF is an essential part
of OpenBSD's networking, I found it very helpful to at least read the
first couple of chapters in order to get an idea of how things work in
general.

I have to admit that - for the time being - I gave up my efforts to
build a VPN home router based on OpenBSD, since I ran out of time to
find enough information to build it in a reliably safe way. Basically
I'd prefer to stick to some lines of PF magic instead of throwing the
big IKED at my humble task.

Good luck!