openrsync crashes when syncing local source and local destination

openrsync crashes when syncing local source and local destination

Aaron Rydberg
Hi,

openrsync crashes when sycning local files.  It was working a few days
ago but after upgrading current it produces this error.  No files are
transferred.

openrsync -v local-dir/ local-dir/

/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:224: error: unexpected end of file
/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:247: error: io_read_nonblocking
/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:638: error: io_read_buf
/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/client.c:56: error: io_read_int

uname -a
OpenBSD laptop.home.net 6.5 GENERIC.MP#69 amd64

Thanks.

Re: openrsync crashes when syncing local source and local destination

Kristaps Dzonsons
> openrsync crashes when sycning local files.  It was working a few days
> ago but after upgrading current it produces this error.  No files are
> transferred.
>
> openrsync -v local-dir/ local-dir/
>
> /usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:224: error: unexpected end of file
> /usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:247: error: io_read_nonblocking
> /usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:638: error: io_read_buf
> /usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/client.c:56: error: io_read_int
>
> uname -a
> OpenBSD laptop.home.net 6.5 GENERIC.MP#69 amd64

I can't reproduce this, but I think you've copy and pasted things wrong.
 You were really running openrsync with two directories (the same
directories, mind you) and not -a?  Is there an openrsync.core anywhere
whose backtrace you can get?

Can you run with -vvvv and paste your exact invocation?  And again with
--rsync-path openrsync as well?

Also, can you tail /var/log/messages to see if there's anything in there?

Re: openrsync crashes when syncing local source and local destination

Tom Smyth
is it a case that the source and destination directory are the same ?
..is that the issue at hand ?

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: openrsync crashes when syncing local source and local destination

Kristaps Dzonsons
> is it a case that the source and destination directory are the same ?
> ..is that the issue at hand ?

Tom,

Doesn't matter when I try it.

Aaron, I am able to cause a premature exit by running against a source
machine's rsync that doesn't exist.  By default, openrsync will invoke
"rsync".  So if you're running

 % openrsync whatever wherever

It will look for "rsync" on the local computer.  On my machine:

% /usr/bin/openrsync --rsync-path /usr/bin/muppet -v xyzzy/ xyzzy/
io.c:224: error: unexpected end of file
io.c:247: error: io_read_nonblocking
io.c:638: error: io_read_buf
client.c:56: error: io_read_int

Is this the case with you?  You can verify by running:

% /usr/bin/openrsync --rsync-path /usr/bin/openrsync -v xyzzy/ xyzzy/
flist.c:1076: warning: xyzzy/: skipping directory
Transfer starting: 0 files
Transfer complete: 16 B sent, 17 B read, 0 B file size

Of course, if you use -a,

% /usr/bin/openrsync --rsync-path /usr/bin/openrsync -va xyzzy/ xyzzy/
Transfer starting: 64 files
Transfer complete: 16 B sent, 2.3 KB read, 290.6 KB file size

Either way, I'll cook up a patch to have an error message following the
execvp in main.c.

Best,

Kristaps

Re: openrsync crashes when syncing local source and local destination

Aaron Rydberg
Sorry the command I posted was not specific.
Adding --rsync-path=/usr/bin/openrsync solved the problem as
I no longer have packaged rsync installed.  The problem was the
same when syncing directories with -a

Here is a specific example.

openrsync -v .cwmrc test/
/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:224: error: unexpected end of file
/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:247: error: io_read_nonblocking
/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:638: error: io_read_buf
/usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/client.c:56: error: io_read_int

openrsync -v --rsync-path=/usr/bin/opensrync .cwmrc test/
Transfer starting: 1 files
.cwmrc
Transfer complete: 54 B sent, 92 B read, 1.5 KB file size

Thanks for your help.