openldap-server-2.4.23p1 does not starts up via /etc/rc.d/slapd

openldap-server-2.4.23p1 does not starts up via /etc/rc.d/slapd

Igor Zinovik-3
        Hello, ports@ readers.

I have problem with starting openldap-server-2.4.23p1.

I've setup /etc/openldap/slapd.conf and I can run slapd via command line
by doing:

$ sudo /usr/local/libexec/slapd -4d 2
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.23 (Feb 16 2011 15:45:39) $
        @i386.ports.openbsd.org:/usr/obj/i386/openldap-2.4.23/build-i386/servers/slapd
bdb_monitor_db_open: monitoring disabled; configure monitor database to enable
slapd starting

But if I run
$ sudo /etc/rc.d/slapd start

I do not see running slapd instance among my processes.  Are there
someone who also faced this problem?

I'm running OpenBSD-current i386.

Re: openldap-server-2.4.23p1 does not starts up via /etc/rc.d/slapd

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Igor Zinovik wrote:

> Hello, ports@ readers.
>
> I have problem with starting openldap-server-2.4.23p1.
>
> I've setup /etc/openldap/slapd.conf and I can run slapd via command line
> by doing:
>
> $ sudo /usr/local/libexec/slapd -4d 2
> @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.23 (Feb 16 2011 15:45:39) $
> @i386.ports.openbsd.org:/usr/obj/i386/openldap-2.4.23/build-i386/servers/slapd
> bdb_monitor_db_open: monitoring disabled; configure monitor database to enable
> slapd starting
>
> But if I run
> $ sudo /etc/rc.d/slapd start
>
> I do not see running slapd instance among my processes.  Are there
> someone who also faced this problem?
>
> I'm running OpenBSD-current i386.

How are you running current? Is that a new installation or an upgrade?
If you upgraded, did you use sysmerge(8)? root's dot.profile needs to be
up to date.

Antoine

On Feb 27, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> How are you running current? Is that a new installation or an upgrade?
> If you upgraded, did you use sysmerge(8)? root's dot.profile needs to be
> up to date.

I updated sources, compiled new kernel, installed it, compiled new
userland and installed it.  After that I launched sysmerge -b.  Thats
all.

Re: openldap-server-2.4.23p1 does not starts up via /etc/rc.d/slapd

Stuart Henderson
On 2011/02/27 22:27, Igor Zinovik wrote:
> On Feb 27, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> > How are you running current? Is that a new installation or an upgrade?
> > If you upgraded, did you use sysmerge(8)? root's dot.profile needs to be
> > up to date.
>
> I updated sources, compiled new kernel, installed it, compiled new
> userland and installed it.  After that I launched sysmerge -b.  Thats
> all.

With sysmerge -b you have to merge the files manually,
did you do that (and, if you did that, did you miss merging
any files?)

In the first few months of /etc/rc.d, things evolved as
new requirements were identified. If you still have an
older rc.subr file, you are likely to have some problems.

On Feb 27, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> With sysmerge -b you have to merge the files manually,
> did you do that (and, if you did that, did you miss merging
> any files?)
>
> In the first few months of /etc/rc.d, things evolved as
> new requirements were identified. If you still have an
> older rc.subr file, you are likely to have some problems.

Sorry for the noise guys, my rc.subr is in sync.  Total PEBKAC.  I
missed following thing:

# mkdir -p /var/run/openldap
# chown -R _openldap:wheel /var/run/openldap
# mkdir -p /var/openldap-data
# chown -R _openldap:_openldap /var/openldap-data

After this slapd started via /etc/rc.d/slapd

I do not know why directories was not created during package
intallation.  There was no message after installation of openldap-server
and there is no readme for it that mentions that thing.

On 2011/02/28 22:29, Igor Zinovik wrote:

> On Feb 27, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > With sysmerge -b you have to merge the files manually,
> > did you do that (and, if you did that, did you miss merging
> > any files?)
> >
> > In the first few months of /etc/rc.d, things evolved as
> > new requirements were identified. If you still have an
> > older rc.subr file, you are likely to have some problems.
>
> Sorry for the noise guys, my rc.subr is in sync.  Total PEBKAC.  I
> missed following thing:
>
> # mkdir -p /var/run/openldap
> # chown -R _openldap:wheel /var/run/openldap

Something strange is happening then; /etc/rc.d/slapd creates this
directory in rc_pre().

And this is present as an @sample in the openldap-server package.