openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

bluesun08
Hi,

beside OpenBSD 5.8 i installed FreeBSD 10.3 on my router-pc. For routing i use pf.
I noticed that the routing/NAT-performance is in FreeBSD noticeable higher than in OpenBSD. I think that is due to the SMP-support of pf in FreeBSD.

Is there also a SMP support (intended) in OpenBSD?

Regards

Alex

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Mihai Popescu-3
> Hi,

> beside OpenBSD 5.8 i installed FreeBSD 10.3 on my router-pc. For routing i
> use pf.

Pf has not very much to do with routing, as I remembeer. Can you give
more details?

> I noticed that the routing/NAT-performance is in FreeBSD noticeable higher
> than in OpenBSD.

How did you test? The results would be interesting. Please add some
hardware description of your machine.

> I think that is due to the SMP-support of pf in FreeBSD.

Should be. As far as I know, pf is a real hungry beasts when it comes
to multicore CPUs.
But I think you didn't activate SMP pf support in OpenBSD, did you?

> Is there also a SMP support (intended) in OpenBSD?

Yes there is, still some things are in work.

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

bluesun08
So, please can you say me how to activate SMP pf support in OpenBSD ?

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Mike Burns
On 2016-04-16 12.57.56 -0700, bluesun08 wrote:
> So, please can you say me how to activate SMP pf support in OpenBSD ?

Be sure to run a MP kernel. You can verify with: dmesg | grep MP

To track progress so you know where to help, search tech@ for "unlock":
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&w=2&r=1&s=unlock&q=b

-Mike

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Philip Guenther-2
On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 5:10 AM, bluesun08 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> beside OpenBSD 5.8 i installed FreeBSD 10.3 on my router-pc. For routing i use pf.
> I noticed that the routing/NAT-performance is in FreeBSD noticeable higher
> than in OpenBSD. I think that is due to the SMP-support of pf in FreeBSD.
>
> Is there also a SMP support (intended) in OpenBSD?

Several developers are actively working on the various parts of making
the entire network stack capable of taking advantage of multiple CPUs.
OpenBSD 5.9 has several improvements in this area (c.f.
http://www.openbsd.org/59.html), but AFAIR packet processing in PF is
still single-threaded.

Philip Guenther

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

bluesun08
hmm ... in the end i see two big "problems" of OpenBSD:
a) SMP of network stack/pf.
b) a modern file system like ZFS or Hammer.

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Mihai Popescu-3
> So, please can you say me how to activate SMP pf support in OpenBSD ?

You can write the code for SMP, test and compile it at home, then send
it to the project for commit. The other way is sponsor someone to
write it.

> hmm ... in the end i see two big "problems" of OpenBSD:
> a) SMP of network stack/pf.
> b) a modern file system like ZFS or Hammer.

Somebody lied to you. There is no problem with OpenBSD, it is doing fine.

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Rick Hanson
> hmm ... in the end i see two big "problems" of OpenBSD:
> a) SMP of network stack/pf.
> b) a modern file system like ZFS or Hammer.

Yay!  I just won a bet (from a friend of mine) that this was going to
turn into a troll.  Thanks for the confirmation, dude!  (My friend is
not happy with you, though. ;)

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

bluesun08
Any time!

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Adam Thompson
On 16-04-16 11:55 AM, Mihai Popescu wrote:
>> Hi,
>> beside OpenBSD 5.8 i installed FreeBSD 10.3 on my router-pc. For routing i
>> use pf.
>> I noticed that the routing/NAT-performance is in FreeBSD noticeable higher
>> than in OpenBSD.
>> I think that is due to the SMP-support of pf in FreeBSD.

I would point you to George Neville-Neil's and Jim Thompson's work,
titled "Measure Twice, Code Once".  They've presented at multiple
conferences over the last two years, and you can find transcripts,
slides and recordings via google.

Google "george neville neil jim thompson measure twice code once" and
you'll pretty much get all of their results on the front page.

As mentioned by others, it's an active area of research and/or
development (take your pick) in the OpenBSD kernel.
FreeBSD traditionally focuses more on performance, whereas OpenBSD
traditionally focuses more on correctness, security, and to some extent,
elegance.

In other words, your results are entirely normal.
-Adam

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Uwe Werler
On 16. Apr  5:10:56, bluesun08 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> beside OpenBSD 5.8 i installed FreeBSD 10.3 on my router-pc. For routing i
> use pf.
> I noticed that the routing/NAT-performance is in FreeBSD noticeable higher
> than in OpenBSD. I think that is due to the SMP-support of pf in FreeBSD.
>
> Is there also a SMP support (intended) in OpenBSD?
>
> Regards
>
> Alex

https://calomel.org/network_performance.html

Re: openbsd vs freebsd NAT performance

Eric Furman-3
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016, at 05:34 AM, Uwe Werler wrote:

> On 16. Apr  5:10:56, bluesun08 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > beside OpenBSD 5.8 i installed FreeBSD 10.3 on my router-pc. For routing i
> > use pf.
> > I noticed that the routing/NAT-performance is in FreeBSD noticeable higher
> > than in OpenBSD. I think that is due to the SMP-support of pf in FreeBSD.
> >
> > Is there also a SMP support (intended) in OpenBSD?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > --

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> --

This whole thread is nothing but a troll.
Please never mention cal***.org ANYWHERE!
It is out of date BULLSHIT.