openbsd in virtualization

sonjaya-2
Hi...

My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
So obsd become guest OS  ?

ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
thank's

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Michiel van Baak-2
On 15:13, Wed 18 Mar 09, sonjaya wrote:

> Hi...
>
> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>
> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
> thank's

I'm running OpenBSD 4.4 and -current under KVM here at home.
I wont run it in production tho. Real hardware is much more stable.
--

Michiel van Baak
[hidden email]

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"

Re: openbsd in virtualization

sonjaya-2
what virtualization you use  (vmware , openvz , etc )?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Michiel van Baak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 15:13, Wed 18 Mar 09, sonjaya wrote:
>> Hi...
>>
>> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
>> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
>> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
>> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
>> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>>
>> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
>> thank's
>
> I'm running OpenBSD 4.4 and -current under KVM here at home.
> I wont run it in production tho. Real hardware is much more stable.
> --
>
> Michiel van Baak
> [hidden email]
> http://michiel.vanbaak.eu
> GnuPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x71C946BD
>
> "Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"

--
sonjaya
http://sicute.blogspot.com
http://www.pojokdomain.com(sell & buy domain with free )

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Daniel Ouellet
> Hi...
>
> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>
> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
> thank's

I run it under VMWare with MAC OSX as the host just for fun. Nothing
real heavy and to do tests.

My Son is running it under qemu on his MAC laptop and keep barging about
it to me as I haven't done it yet. Well, to give him credit, I haven't
figure out how to yet and didn't spend time doing it, but he is using it
every day and created himself a workstation just like his mac under qemu
with OpenBSD until he is happy with the final final results and then he
will only use OpenBSD then. It's been pretty stable for about a year now
or so.

So, you can run it under about anything you want really, but you do
loose the benefit of OpenBSD itself and become slave of the host OS as
well as the virtualization layer you use.

In short I wouldn't use it, but again, there is plenty of comments on
this same subject in the archive, so just use google and search for it.

You will find plenty.

Daniel

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Linus Swälas
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:13:05 +0100, sonjaya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>
> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
> thank's

Works great for me under VMware.

     /  L

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Alexander Hall
sonjaya wrote:

> Hi...
>
> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>
> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
> thank's

I believe most, if not all, vmware-like virtualization products support
using a raw disk image (dd if=/dev/sd0c of=openbsd.raw ...) as a virtual
disk. I also believe that since it's in their interest to migrate
existing systems into their products (at least the commercial ones;
vmware et al), they are likely to have instructions for how to perform
this available in their documentation.

Of course, the resulting system will need to be tuned to using the new
"hardware" supplied by the vm.

/Alexander

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Lars D. Noodén
sonjaya wrote:
> So obsd become guest OS  ?

I've used it nicely in qemu, but now run it only natively.

I also know people who use Virtualbox, but that seems to be a bit trickier.

Regards
-Lars

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Guido Tschakert
sonjaya schrieb:
> what virtualization you use  (vmware , openvz , etc )?

Hi,

as Michiel wrote, he uses kvm (this is something in the linux kernel)

OpenVZ will not work. (Its up to you to find out why ;-) )

I use OpenBSD in Vmware Server 2.0 and if you search the archives you
will find a lot of people asking questions regarding vmware and xen.

But you should really search the archives as you will find a lot of
things about security, stability and so.

guido

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Michiel van Baak <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 15:13, Wed 18 Mar 09, sonjaya wrote:
>>> Hi...
>>>
>>> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
>>> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
>>> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
>>> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
>>> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>>>
>>> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
>>> thank's
>> I'm running OpenBSD 4.4 and -current under KVM here at home.
>> I wont run it in production tho. Real hardware is much more stable.
>> --
>>
>> Michiel van Baak
>> [hidden email]
>> http://michiel.vanbaak.eu
>> GnuPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x71C946BD
>>
>> "Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"
>>

> --
> sonjaya
> http://sicute.blogspot.com
> http://www.pojokdomain.com(sell & buy domain with free )

Re: openbsd in virtualization

FRLinux-2
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:44 AM, sonjaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> what virtualization you use  (vmware , openvz , etc )?

Hello,

Using Xen myself (debian packages). Got one dom0 on Debian 64bits and
the domU is an OpenBSD 4.4. Technology using HVM too.

Cheers,
Steph

Re: openbsd in virtualization

sonjaya-2
ye that is my point , if i using obsd as guest os will be reduce
benefit of OBSD .

so now only two candidate
- XEN
- qemu
- vmware server  ( price is high 0
- virtualbox SUN

may be i will try taht candidate .

Thank's for all sharing :)

On 2009-03-18, sonjaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .

how does one increase efficiency and reduce IT costs by making things
more complicated?

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Daniel Ouellet
> - XEN

I could be wrong here, but if my memory is somewhat intact, I think XEN
is not playing to well with OpenBSD. There was worked done to port it to
OpenBSD, I think it was two years ago, but I can't remember exactly,
it's in the archive anyway and as far as I know, there wasn't to much
good exchange on misc@ about it and not great success.

So, I would strongly suggest to research it first, I know there was some
real try about it but somehow fail in the end to finish I think.

Again, don't take my word on this one, that's what I kind of recall, but
my memory is known to fail at time! (;p>

Daniel Ouellet wrote:

>> - XEN
>
> I could be wrong here, but if my memory is somewhat intact, I think XEN
> is not playing to well with OpenBSD. There was worked done to port it to
> OpenBSD, I think it was two years ago, but I can't remember exactly,
> it's in the archive anyway and as far as I know, there wasn't to much
> good exchange on misc@ about it and not great success.
>
> So, I would strongly suggest to research it first, I know there was some
> real try about it but somehow fail in the end to finish I think.
>
> Again, don't take my word on this one, that's what I kind of recall, but
> my memory is known to fail at time! (;p>

Here is a little bit more.

http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060927173418

There is a bsdtalk exactly link there on XEN and OpenBSD where Christoph
Egger talks about his work with Xen and OpenBSD. You may want to listen
to it.

yes, it's two years old, so many things may have changed from them, but
that's a start anyway.

Hope it help you some, if no other outcome then just giving you
something to think about.

Best,

Daniel

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Maciej Jan Broniarz-4
2009/3/18 sonjaya <[hidden email]>:
> ye that is my point , if i using obsd as guest os will be reduce
> benefit of OBSD .
>
> so now only two candidate
> - XEN
> - qemu
> - vmware server  ( price is high 0

Vmware server, as well as vmware esxi are currently free of charge for
any type of use.

Regards,
mjb

wrote:

>>> Hi...
>>>
>>> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
>>> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
>>> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
>>> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
>>> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>>>
>>> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
>>> thank's
>>
>> I run it under VMWare with MAC OSX as the host just for fun. Nothing real
>> heavy and to do tests.
>>
>> My Son is running it under qemu on his MAC laptop and keep barging about
it
>> to me as I haven't done it yet. Well, to give him credit, I haven't figure
>> out how to yet and didn't spend time doing it, but he is using it every
day
>> and created himself a workstation just like his mac under qemu with
OpenBSD

>> until he is happy with the final final results and then he will only use
>> OpenBSD then. It's been pretty stable for about a year now or so.
>>
>> So, you can run it under about anything you want really, but you do loose
>> the benefit of OpenBSD itself and become slave of the host OS as well as
> the
>> virtualization layer you use.
>>
>> In short I wouldn't use it, but again, there is plenty of comments on this
>> same subject in the archive, so just use google and search for it.
>>
>> You will find plenty.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> --
> sonjaya
> http://sicute.blogspot.com
> http://www.pojokdomain.com(sell & buy domain with free )

--
[ -----< Maciej Jan Broniarz || [hidden email] >------ ]
| Siamo qui \ sotto la stessa luce \ sotto la sua croce \ |
[ ---------------< E l'Emmanuel, Emmanuel >-------------- ]

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Pierre Riteau-3
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 05:45:17AM -0400, Daniel Ouellet wrote:

>> - XEN
>
> I could be wrong here, but if my memory is somewhat intact, I think XEN
> is not playing to well with OpenBSD. There was worked done to port it to
> OpenBSD, I think it was two years ago, but I can't remember exactly,
> it's in the archive anyway and as far as I know, there wasn't to much
> good exchange on misc@ about it and not great success.
>
> So, I would strongly suggest to research it first, I know there was some
> real try about it but somehow fail in the end to finish I think.
>
> Again, don't take my word on this one, that's what I kind of recall, but
> my memory is known to fail at time! (;p>

Xen is not limited to paravirtualization (as you recall, a port of
OpenBSD as a Xen paravirtualized DomU was being developed but was not
finished).
It also offers full-virtualization relying on CPUs with hardware
virtualization capabilities.

Re: openbsd in virtualization

michal-49
With a CD install of 4.4 it didnt pick up the VMWare nic...that was with
VMware workstation 4 however...

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:13:05 +0100, sonjaya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>
> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
> thank's

Works great for me under VMware.

     /  L

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Janne Johansson
Daniel Ouellet wrote:
>> - XEN
>
> I could be wrong here, but if my memory is somewhat intact, I think XEN
> is not playing to well with OpenBSD. There was worked done to port it to
> OpenBSD, I think it was two years ago, but I can't remember exactly,
> it's in the archive anyway and as far as I know, there wasn't to much
> good exchange on misc@ about it and not great success.

It was about paravirtualized OpenBSD as a XenU, I think VT-assisted
emulation works fine.

Pierre Riteau wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 05:45:17AM -0400, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
>>> - XEN
>> I could be wrong here, but if my memory is somewhat intact, I think XEN
>> is not playing to well with OpenBSD. There was worked done to port it to
>> OpenBSD, I think it was two years ago, but I can't remember exactly,
>> it's in the archive anyway and as far as I know, there wasn't to much
>> good exchange on misc@ about it and not great success.
>>
>> So, I would strongly suggest to research it first, I know there was some
>> real try about it but somehow fail in the end to finish I think.
>>
>> Again, don't take my word on this one, that's what I kind of recall, but
>> my memory is known to fail at time! (;p>
>
> Xen is not limited to paravirtualization (as you recall, a port of
> OpenBSD as a Xen paravirtualized DomU was being developed but was not
> finished).
> It also offers full-virtualization relying on CPUs with hardware
> virtualization capabilities.

Thanks for correcting me on this one. See I wasn't sure and memory failed.

Glad to get the details corrected.

Best,

Daniel

PS: Thanks to Janne as well.

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Laurens Vets
>> My boss ask how to move current obsd server to virtualiaztion ( such
>> as  openvz, vmare , etc ) .
>> anyone in here sucsess moving obsd to Environment  virtualization (
>> openvz , vmware  etc ) , may be want share to me ?
>> So obsd become guest OS  ?
>>
>> ps: i'm so sory to ask this because Efficiency  and reduce IT cost .
>> thank's
>>

> Works great for me under VMware.
>
>     /  L

How are you shutting down the OpenBSD guest when you stop VMware?  Manually?

Re: openbsd in virtualization

Toni Mueller-10

On Wed, 18.03.2009 at 09:33:38 +0000, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> how does one increase efficiency and reduce IT costs by making things
> more complicated?

sorry, but this is the wrong question.

Using virtual machines makes some things more complicated, but it also
enables simplification of other things. Eg. I use some virtual machines
for things I need only occasionally where using physical machines would
just be a great waste, and I'm aware of other outfits who use virtual
machines to avoid having to tend to a zoo of underutilized servers, but
where putting everything into one server was impractical, too. Now they
have a few servers running this stuff as virtual machines, while at the
same time providing automatic failover in case one of the physical
"carrier" machines goes down. So, these guys now have better overall
utilization of (much) better hardware, plus increased reliability, plus
reduced cost because their hosts and the management suite on top of
that provides them with much better facilities and flexibility than
having said zoo of individual tin boxes could provide.

Kind regards,
--Toni++

123