openbsd 5.2 on soekris softraid boot error code 91

openbsd 5.2 on soekris softraid boot error code 91

Martin Kjær Jørgensen
Hi

I've just installed OpenBSD 5.2 on my Soekris 6501. Im using two WDC
WD2500BPVT-22JJ5T0 disks in RAID1.

Installation goes well and the system boots fine the first time.
After reboot I'm greeted with the following error:

Using drive 0, partition 3.
probing: pc0 com0 mem[620K 2046M a20=on]
disk: hd0+ hd1+ sr0*
>> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.20
open(sr0a:/etc/boot.conf): Unknown error: code 91
boot>
booting sr0a:/bsd: open sr0a:/bsd: Unknown error: code 91
 failed(91). will try /bsd
boot>
booting sr0a:/bsd: open sr0a:/bsd: Unknown error: code 91
 failed(91). will try /bsd
Turning timeout off.
boot>

This error occurs everytime I "reboot" or press the reset-button on
the back of the chassis.
At first when I pulled the powerplug and pluged it in, it booted fine
the first time, but now I cant even do that anymore.
I fear its a hardware issue.

Does anyone know what this is, or what error code 91 means?

Re: openbsd 5.2 on soekris softraid boot error code 91

Joel Sing-3
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Martin Kjær Jørgensen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just installed OpenBSD 5.2 on my Soekris 6501. Im using two WDC
> WD2500BPVT-22JJ5T0 disks in RAID1.
>
> Installation goes well and the system boots fine the first time.
> After reboot I'm greeted with the following error:
>
> Using drive 0, partition 3.
> probing: pc0 com0 mem[620K 2046M a20=on]
> disk: hd0+ hd1+ sr0*
>
> >> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.20
>
> open(sr0a:/etc/boot.conf): Unknown error: code 91
> boot>
> booting sr0a:/bsd: open sr0a:/bsd: Unknown error: code 91
>  failed(91). will try /bsd
> boot>
> booting sr0a:/bsd: open sr0a:/bsd: Unknown error: code 91
>  failed(91). will try /bsd
> Turning timeout off.
> boot>
>
> This error occurs everytime I "reboot" or press the reset-button on
> the back of the chassis.
> At first when I pulled the powerplug and pluged it in, it booted fine
> the first time, but now I cant even do that anymore.
> I fear its a hardware issue.

Are you saying that it does sometimes boot from sr0?

> Does anyone know what this is, or what error code 91 means?

man errno:

     91 ENOTSUP Not supported. The operation has requested an unsupported
             value.

The 'sr0*' means that it found the softraid volume and that it is marked as
bootable. Are you certain that it is a RAID 1 partition? The main reason that
it would return ENOTSUP is if it encountered a RAID level that is currently
unsupported (e.g. RAID 0).
--

    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.
     Do not count on them. Leave them alone." -- Ayn Rand

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 02:15:34PM +1100, Joel Sing wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Martin Kjær Jørgensen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've just installed OpenBSD 5.2 on my Soekris 6501. Im using two WDC
> > WD2500BPVT-22JJ5T0 disks in RAID1.
> >
> > Installation goes well and the system boots fine the first time.
> > After reboot I'm greeted with the following error:
> >
> > Using drive 0, partition 3.
> > probing: pc0 com0 mem[620K 2046M a20=on]
> > disk: hd0+ hd1+ sr0*

> > open(sr0a:/etc/boot.conf): Unknown error: code 91
> > boot>
> > booting sr0a:/bsd: open sr0a:/bsd: Unknown error: code 91
> >  failed(91). will try /bsd
> > boot>
> > booting sr0a:/bsd: open sr0a:/bsd: Unknown error: code 91
> >  failed(91). will try /bsd
> > Turning timeout off.
> > boot>
> >
> > This error occurs everytime I "reboot" or press the reset-button on
> > the back of the chassis.
> > At first when I pulled the powerplug and pluged it in, it booted fine
> > the first time, but now I cant even do that anymore.
> > I fear its a hardware issue.
>
> Are you saying that it does sometimes boot from sr0?

Yes.

> > Does anyone know what this is, or what error code 91 means?
>
> man errno:
>
>      91 ENOTSUP Not supported. The operation has requested an unsupported
>              value.
>
> The 'sr0*' means that it found the softraid volume and that it is marked as
> bootable. Are you certain that it is a RAID 1 partition? The main reason that
> it would return ENOTSUP is if it encountered a RAID level that is currently
> unsupported (e.g. RAID 0).

It should be. The softraid have been created with the following
command:

   bioctl -c 1 -l /dev/sd0d,/dev/sd1d softraid0

The "-c 1" should mean RAID1