openbsd 4.0 installation on soekris box: i am desperated.

openbsd 4.0 installation on soekris box: i am desperated.

Gustavo Rios
I am trying to get openbsd installed in my net4801 box. I can pxeboot
it, and get bsd.rd readed from my tftp server.

But, the problem is that when i choose installtion by means of ftp. It
is too slow to download them, in the order of 4 to 5 KB/s. In order
order, to simply download bsd file from the ftp server it takes about
1200 seconds.

Have anybody already faced such scenario ?

thanks in advance.

Re: openbsd 4.0 installation on soekris box: i am desperated.

Mike Hernandez-3
On Nov 17, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Gustavo Rios wrote:

> I am trying to get openbsd installed in my net4801 box. I can pxeboot
> it, and get bsd.rd readed from my tftp server.
>
> But, the problem is that when i choose installtion by means of ftp. It
> is too slow to download them, in the order of 4 to 5 KB/s. In order
> order, to simply download bsd file from the ftp server it takes about
> 1200 seconds.
>
> Have anybody already faced such scenario ?
>
> thanks in advance.

Great reason to buy a cd set. The 4801 uses i386, which comes on the
cd's.

Or you could download the sets over time and keep them handy and
install from a local machine.

Buying cd's is probably the best way to go ;)

Mike

Re: openbsd 4.0 installation on soekris box: i am desperated.

Uwe Dippel
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 02:42:52 -0500, Michael Hernandez wrote:

> Great reason to buy a cd set. The 4801 uses i386, which comes on the
> cd's.

And you throw in the CD drive for Soekris, I guess ... !?
(Of course, I advocate and support buying CDs, but please, go for the
right arguments ... !)

Uwe

Re: openbsd 4.0 installation on soekris box: i am desperated.

Igor Sobrado
Hi Gustavo.

Sorry to know that you have these problems with your soekris.
It is certainly an unusual scenario.  I have a net4801 here too
and pxebooting it is very easy and... very fast.

I would suggest looking for the throughput problem on the network
itself.  Your network does not look congested, it seems worse.
Are you using home-made cables?  RJ-45 cables follow two color
standards (T568A and T568B).  Perhaps your cable does not follow
either T568A or T568B and signals are not following the right
twisted pairs (there are some inductive effects provoked by the
electromagnetic fields on the internal cable pairs that can be
fixed by twisting them... ok, it is a classical electrodynamics
issue, I just want to say using the wrong color scheme, no color
scheme at all, can be a nightmare on current networks).

Can you, please, check that the cable is working fine? Is the FTP
server able to transfer files quickly to other computers on the
network?

As I said, I did my first installation of OpenBSD on a soekris
using pxeboot.  It worked fine and was even faster than a CD-ROM
install (ok, my CD-ROM drives here are not really fast ones!).

As my net4801 has both an internal IDE drive and a CF card,
I am now doing the installation of OpenBSD on a very different way.
I like fresh installs, not upgrades.  I know that OpenBSD can be
easily upgraded, but I certainly prefer a clean install.  To make
these installations simple on environments were FTP servers are
not available I made the CF on the net4801 bootable and copied
the sets to it (e.g., to a directory 4.0/i386).  Just booting
from the CF ("boot 81" on the ComBIOS) starts the installation
program.

If you are really swamped with this problem, you can make a
CF bootable and copy the installation sets to it.  I did just
the reverse, as I was able to pxeboot (and install) OpenBSD
on the internal HDD, I made the "bootable CF" from the OS
installed on the soekris itself.  I certainly prefer upgrading
the sets and kernels on the CF before installing a new release
on the soekris.

In short:

  1. you must really fix the throughput problem, do not know why
     it happens but it is certainly an unusual scenario.  Even if
     you are able to install OpenBSD on it, you will NOT want
     a 4 KB/s throughput!

  2. In the worst scenario, you can move the CF to another
     computer and install the OS on it.  Beware, device names
     will probably change when moving the CF to the soekris
     again.  If you want to install OpenBSD on the internal IDE
     HDD, you can make a "CD-ROM like" CF and boot from it,
     as I did.

A last advice, if you want to install OpenBSD on the internal HDD,
you will probably like to disable pciide* on the User Kernel Config
prompt before making the filesystems on the 2.5" HDD.  Don't worry,
it is a temporary change, you will not lose performance once the
operating system is installed.

(any chance this annoying problem being fixed in a future OpenBSD
release or it is a hardware issue?)

Cheers,
Igor.

On Nov 18, 2006, at 4:45 AM, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 02:42:52 -0500, Michael Hernandez wrote:
>
>> Great reason to buy a cd set. The 4801 uses i386, which comes on the
>> cd's.
>
> And you throw in the CD drive for Soekris, I guess ... !?
> (Of course, I advocate and support buying CDs, but please, go for the
> right arguments ... !)
>
> Uwe

You copy the contents of the cd to a machine you already have. Any
laptop with a network card is usually enough. How about the machine
being used to pxeboot? You can use apache and install via http or use
nfs or copy the packages to the cf card, or....

Sorry I thought that might be obvious.

Mike

Re: openbsd 4.0 installation on soekris box: i am desperated.

Chad M Stewart
On Nov 17, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Gustavo Rios wrote:

> I am trying to get openbsd installed in my net4801 box. I can pxeboot
> it, and get bsd.rd readed from my tftp server.
>
> But, the problem is that when i choose installtion by means of ftp. It
> is too slow to download them, in the order of 4 to 5 KB/s. In order
> order, to simply download bsd file from the ftp server it takes about
> 1200 seconds.

My 4801 boots and installs fine over the network.  Sounds like
perhaps a duplex problem.

Re: openbsd 4.0 installation on soekris box: i am desperated.

Gustavo Rios
Thank you all! I was about duplex. Now it is ok.

After i have done network installation, i not able to boot the disk,
not even the first stage of openbsd boot process. The soekris console
give me the following (After i press CTRL-P)

> boot 80

No Boot device available, enter monitor.

comBIOS Monitor.   Press ? for help.

I have a HTE 541040G9AT00 (Hitachi E series) showing like "Pri Mas"
when i turn soekris on.

Any ideia ?