openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Andriy Samsonyuk
Hi,

i am running OpenBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s (dmesg and Xorg.log attached).
So far i have only one issue with X11:
after starting X11 with startx or xinit i cannot change to ttyCX anymore,
only black screens. After termination of X only black screen remains.
The system is working (responding to keyboard and login via ssh), but
i am getting no visual output.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Andriy

--
It is a wise father that knows his own child.
                -- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"

x201s.dmesg (6K) Download Attachment
x201s.Xorg.log (29K) Download Attachment

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

David Coppa
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Andriy Samsonyuk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am running OpenBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s (dmesg and Xorg.log attached).
> So far i have only one issue with X11:
> after starting X11 with startx or xinit i cannot change to ttyCX anymore,
> only black screens. After termination of X only black screen remains.
> The system is working (responding to keyboard and login via ssh), but
> i am getting no visual output.
>
> Any ideas?

It's a known issue with {Sandy,Ivy}Bridge chipsets.

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Francois Pussault-2
I think this is a problem with bridge chips.

Cordialement
Francois Pussault
3701 - 8 rue Marcel Pagnol
31100 Toulouse
France
+33 6 17 230 820   +33 5 34 365 269

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Jes-6
And probably no power on usb ports after resume, like my T410.

BR

Jes

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Mike Erdely
Interestingly, I believe the last time I suspended my T510 and
resumed, my USB ports did have power.  I'l double check when I get
home.

On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 06:40:39PM +0100, Jes wrote:
> And probably no power on usb ports after resume, like my T410.
have not checked yet

Do i understand it correctly, that there is no chance of it
running properly until the CEO of Intel want to improve his
karma?

Thanx for your replys!

Andriy

--
Your goose is cooked.
(Your current chick is burned up too!)

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Andriy Samsonyuk
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 06:40:39PM +0100, Jes wrote:
>> And probably no power on usb ports after resume, like my T410.
> have not checked yet
>
> Do i understand it correctly, that there is no chance of it
> running properly until the CEO of Intel want to improve his
> karma?

You need to run current with latest HW. Not release/stable.

> Thanx for your replys!
>
> Andriy
>
> --
> Your goose is cooked.
> (Your current chick is burned up too!)
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Jes-6
El Fri, 4 Jan 2013 08:08:24 +0100
Tomas Bodzar <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Andriy Samsonyuk
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 06:40:39PM +0100, Jes wrote:
> >> And probably no power on usb ports after resume, like my T410.
> > have not checked yet
> >
> > Do i understand it correctly, that there is no chance of it
> > running properly until the CEO of Intel want to improve his
> > karma?
>
> You need to run current with latest HW. Not release/stable.

IMHO OpenBSD is pretty usable in a laptop, old or modern. Most of things
run in the right way. From my point of view only a few things are
missing now:

- usb ports after resume, but only in certain thinkpad models (like
  X201, I guess, and T410)
- no disk journaling
- no NTFS support
- no Linux emulation in amd64

But there are some advantages:

- suspend/resume out of the box (except the usb stuff in some
  computers).
- speed booting and shutting down
- simplest installation/upgrade way
- it works with modern integrated intel video cards (no need of kvm,
  thought no acceleration)
- pf firewall

I have OpenBSD current installed in my laptop, with Fedora. My primary
system right now is Fedora, but for other reasons. My OpenBSD current
works perfectly for most of my tasks: internet navigation, mail,
perl/mysql development, music, video, photos, etc.)

My advice: it is well worth to try and experiment by yourself.

BR

Jes

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Brad Smith-14
> > On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Andriy Samsonyuk
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > have not checked yet
> > >
> > > Do i understand it correctly, that there is no chance of it
> > > running properly until the CEO of Intel want to improve his
> > > karma?
> >
> > You need to run current with latest HW. Not release/stable.
> >

> IMHO OpenBSD is pretty usable in a laptop, old or modern.

On the GPU side of things its pretty bad if not non existent for modern systems.

believed to be clean.

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Brett Mahar-2
> IMHO OpenBSD is pretty usable in a laptop, old or modern. Most of things
> run in the right way. From my point of view only a few things are
> missing now:

[...]

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=mount_ntfs&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

Re: openBSD 5.2 amd64 on lenovo x201s

Jes-6
El Fri, 04 Jan 2013 23:03:48 +1100
Brett Mahar <[hidden email]> escribió:

> > IMHO OpenBSD is pretty usable in a laptop, old or modern. Most of
> > things run in the right way. From my point of view only a few
> > things are missing now:
> >

> [...]
>
> > - no NTFS support
>

> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=mount_ntfs&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

I wanted to say "no NTFS suppor for writing"  :)