only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

arnuld
hello everone,

                        1st of all i am a newbie to UNIX, i have been using
FedoraCore3 since May2005, that is when i completely abondoned proprietary
softwares).  so i have some experience of installing, configuring & doing
some system-administartion on GNU/LINUX. I am a home user who has started
learning programming and went into hacker culture and found "rms" & "esr"
there holding "GNU Manifesto" & "The Loginataka"

I have only 3 QUESTIONS:   i tried FAQ but not fully satisfied:

1.)  Does OpenBSD-3.8 has any good X-window system? (examples inlclude
GNOME, KDE)

2.)  Will OpenBSD support my architecture? i know it supports AMD64 but i am
asking for Motherboard & Monitor as
     FreeBSD5.4 have some  problem regarding configuring & running X-window
(Xorg, GNOME & KDE) on my system. BUT
     FedoraCore runs wihtout any problem on  it.

I have the following architecture:

                 i.)      AMD64 -> processor
                 ii.)     ASUS K8V-MX -> motherboard
                 iii.)    LG 17'' Studioworks 775N -> monitor
                         HorizSyns = 30-70 kHz
                         Vertsync  = 50-160 Hz
                         Resolution Max. = 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz

3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using installation and
running & trroubleshooting X-window ?
     I read whole reviews @amazon.com and found it can be good for me.  I am
still asking because i want to be sure
    before i spent money as a jobless person.

thanks in advance

"arnuld"

--
"the great intellectuals"

viq

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

viq
On Sunday 11 December 2005 12:47, arnuld wrote:

> 1.)  Does OpenBSD-3.8 has any good X-window system? (examples inlclude
> GNOME, KDE)

Yes, there are packages/ports available (and of many more), link to mirrors
where packages reside is in the FAQ.

> 2.)  Will OpenBSD support my architecture? i know it supports AMD64 but i
> am asking for Motherboard & Monitor as
>      FreeBSD5.4 have some  problem regarding configuring & running X-window
> (Xorg, GNOME & KDE) on my system. BUT
>      FedoraCore runs wihtout any problem on  it.
>
> I have the following architecture:
>
>                  i.)      AMD64 -> processor

As arch amd64 suggests...

>                  ii.)     ASUS K8V-MX -> motherboard

That I will let others answer, but I'd guess that yes, it will support that.

>                  iii.)    LG 17'' Studioworks 775N -> monitor

Now that I'd say is a question of configuring X.

>                          HorizSyns = 30-70 kHz
>                          Vertsync  = 50-160 Hz
>                          Resolution Max. = 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz

ewww, 60Hz

> 3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using installation
> and running & trroubleshooting X-window ?
>      I read whole reviews @amazon.com and found it can be good for me.  I
> am still asking because i want to be sure
>     before i spent money as a jobless person.

It is a very good resource for installing and administration of the system,
good place to start. Though I don't remember right now whether it had
anything about X.
Hmm, a thought. Let Fedora configure your X server. Copy the config file
somewhere. Install another system. Copy config file back. I'd say it should
work ;)
One thing though, don't expect graphics acceleration on OpenBSD.

--
viq

Szukasz pracy? Szukamy pracownikow: dziennikarzy, webmasterow,
specjalisty ds. badan, promotion managera, administratorow baz danych,
programistow Windows i wielu innych! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f18e6

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

Tobias Ulmer
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 05:17:41PM +0530, arnuld wrote:

> hello everone,
>
>                         1st of all i am a newbie to UNIX, i have been using
> FedoraCore3 since May2005, that is when i completely abondoned proprietary
> softwares).  so i have some experience of installing, configuring & doing
> some system-administartion on GNU/LINUX. I am a home user who has started
> learning programming and went into hacker culture and found "rms" & "esr"
> there holding "GNU Manifesto" & "The Loginataka"
>
> I have only 3 QUESTIONS:   i tried FAQ but not fully satisfied:
>
> 1.)  Does OpenBSD-3.8 has any good X-window system? (examples inlclude
> GNOME, KDE)

You seem to confuse some things here. The "X-window-system" (if that
term exists) consist of a server and clients. OpenBSD has Xorg as
server, like almost all modern Linux distributions.
Now to your KDE and GNOME - these are window managers (clients) that
connect to the server. These programs draw the window decoration around
you applications, set your background wallpaper and do 13 billion other
things.
Short answer: Yes you can use KDE and GNOME with OpenBSD. They are
available as easy to install packages...

> 2.)  Will OpenBSD support my architecture? i know it supports AMD64 but i am
> asking for Motherboard & Monitor as
>      FreeBSD5.4 have some  problem regarding configuring & running X-window
> (Xorg, GNOME & KDE) on my system. BUT
>      FedoraCore runs wihtout any problem on  it.
>
> I have the following architecture:
>
>                  i.)      AMD64 -> processor
>                  ii.)     ASUS K8V-MX -> motherboard
>                  iii.)    LG 17'' Studioworks 775N -> monitor
>                          HorizSyns = 30-70 kHz
>                          Vertsync  = 50-160 Hz
>                          Resolution Max. = 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz

It should work, however the best way test is to download a floppy or cd
image from the OpenBSD server and boot from it. Then you know it for
sure. If there are errors you can ask for help with that specific
problem.

> 3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using installation and
> running & trroubleshooting X-window ?
>      I read whole reviews @amazon.com and found it can be good for me.  I am
> still asking because i want to be sure
>     before i spent money as a jobless person.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> "arnuld"

I have never read it, but it looks like a very good one. However books
about computer topics have one big problem. They are outdated faster
than you can buy them...

Tobias

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

Manolis Tzanidakis
> hello everone,

hello

> 1st of all i am a newbie to UNIX

welcome n00b :)

> 1.)  Does OpenBSD-3.8 has any good X-window system? (examples inlclude
> GNOME, KDE)

yes

> 2.)  Will OpenBSD support my architecture?
> I have the following architecture:
> i.)      AMD64 -> processor

yes

> ii.)     ASUS K8V-MX -> motherboard

maybe

check http://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html for more info

> 3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using installation
> and
> running & trroubleshooting X-window ?

yes, I also recommend "Secure Architectures with OpenBSD" (ISBN:
0-321-19366-0)

> still asking because i want to be sure
>     before i spent money as a jobless person.

download 3.8 from a mirror, check google on how to create a bootable iso,
install it & test it and then buy a copy to support the project & save
yourself & your local mirror some bandwidth downloading kde/gnome/etc.
packages.

And don't forget, always RTFM first :).

--
Manolis Tzanidakis
http://www.tzanidakis.gr/~manolis
Grab My GPG Public key from my homepage.

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

horst bernatzki
> 3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using installation and
> running & trroubleshooting X-window ?
>      I read whole reviews @amazon.com and found it can be good for me.  I am
> still asking because i want to be sure
>     before i spent money as a jobless person.

yes, i read it and its a good start for openbsd.

for the more experienced user i suggest
        "secure architectures with openbsd" from palmer/nazario @ addison wesley
        get from www.openbsd.org/orders.html

good byte

horst

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

Josh Grosse
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 05:17:41PM +0530, arnuld wrote:
> ....3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using installation and
> running & trroubleshooting X-window ?

It's a terrific book -- but it does NOT cover X.  Use it for everything else
about the OS.

(Be sure to get the errata from the publisher's website -- there were many
small typographical errors.)

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

horst bernatzki
> It's a terrific book -- but it does NOT cover X.  Use it for everything else
> about the OS.

hmm, yes indeed, but for an "absolute beginner" its ok

(there are 'more terrific' books outside ...)

so take my suggest "sec. arch. w. obsd" (other reply!)

but, how tobias said:

However books
about computer topics have one big problem. They are outdated faster
than you can buy them...

hopefully, xorg is treated in the actual revision of that book

horst

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

Christopher Hylarides
>>                  iii.)    LG 17'' Studioworks 775N -> monitor
>
> Now that I'd say is a question of configuring X.

His monitor will almost guaranteed work

>>                          HorizSyns = 30-70 kHz
>>                          Vertsync  = 50-160 Hz
>>                          Resolution Max. = 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz
>
> ewww, 60Hz

It's probably an LCD, in which case 60Hz is fine.

>> 3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using
>> installation
>> and running & trroubleshooting X-window ?
>>      I read whole reviews @amazon.com and found it can be good for
>> me.  I
>> am still asking because i want to be sure
>>     before i spent money as a jobless person.
>
> It is a very good resource for installing and administration of the
> system,
> good place to start. Though I don't remember right now whether it had
> anything about X.
> Hmm, a thought. Let Fedora configure your X server. Copy the config
> file
> somewhere. Install another system. Copy config file back. I'd say
> it should
> work ;)
> One thing though, don't expect graphics acceleration on OpenBSD.

Is Fedora using X.org or Xfree86 still?  I don't know if there are
any differences beween the config files.

Also, if he's using an NVIDIA card, he may be using the binary
drivers which don't exsist on OpenBSD (but they are on FreeBSD).

Just somethings to keep in mind.  Read the docs on openbsd.org.  Most
of them are excellent.

Chris

Re: only 3 small question on OpenBSD, a FedoraCore user.

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:24:59 -0500
Christopher Hylarides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Fedora using X.org or Xfree86 still?  I don't know if there are
> any differences beween the config files.
AFAIK is Debian the only "major" distribution that is still using XFree86.

Cheers,
Jasper

--
"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt