ogle dvd player and xorg

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht-43

I just noticed that ogle (the dvd player) has problems under xorg with
-current/amd64 on an ATI Radeon 9200SE framebuffer.  The sound plays
just fine and the ogle video output window changes size in response to
the source material changing aspect ratio from 3:4 to 9:16.  The
problem is the window stays black and never shows any output.

Invoking ogle as "OGLE_USE_XV=0 ogle /dev/dvd" (which turns off
ogle's use of the XVideo) does allow output to make it to the window,
but at great cost to the cpu.  Even a 2.0 Ghz amd64 can't keep up with
the 30fps frame rate, so that isn't a usable solution.  Something is
clearly wrong with XVideo or ogle's use of it.

I'm at a loss whether this is a problem with 1) the ati radeon xorg
driver for my card 2) xorg's implementation of XVideo 3) ogle's use of
XVideo.  Are other folks having any success with amd64 and/or radeon
9200se cards?

-wolfgang

Re: ogle dvd player and xorg

Marc Espie-2
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 02:18:13PM -0800, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> I just noticed that ogle (the dvd player) has problems under xorg with
> -current/amd64 on an ATI Radeon 9200SE framebuffer.  The sound plays
> just fine and the ogle video output window changes size in response to
> the source material changing aspect ratio from 3:4 to 9:16.  The
> problem is the window stays black and never shows any output.
>
> Invoking ogle as "OGLE_USE_XV=0 ogle /dev/dvd" (which turns off
> ogle's use of the XVideo) does allow output to make it to the window,
> but at great cost to the cpu.  Even a 2.0 Ghz amd64 can't keep up with
> the 30fps frame rate, so that isn't a usable solution.  Something is
> clearly wrong with XVideo or ogle's use of it.
>
> I'm at a loss whether this is a problem with 1) the ati radeon xorg
> driver for my card 2) xorg's implementation of XVideo 3) ogle's use of
> XVideo.  Are other folks having any success with amd64 and/or radeon
> 9200se cards?

Did you run any video application before ogle ?

I've noticed for a while now that mplayer conflicts with ogle. Namely,
if I use mplayer, then ogle, I get a blank screen. Radeon driver as well...

This used to work, this no longer does.

I've notified Matthieu Herb, but none of us has had any time to debug it
yet...

restart X windows, see if the problem disappear.

Re: ogle dvd player and xorg

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht-43

Marc Espie writes:
> I've noticed for a while now that mplayer conflicts with ogle. Namely,
> if I use mplayer, then ogle, I get a blank screen. Radeon driver as well...

That was it.  After an X restart ogle plays fine.  Good catch.

Ironically, restarting X under xdm via ctl-alt-backspace causes the
ascii terminals ttyC0 - ttyC5 to be broken.

-wolfgang

Re: ogle dvd player and xorg

Jacob Meuser
On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 12:41:06AM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 02:18:13PM -0800, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> >
> > I just noticed that ogle (the dvd player) has problems under xorg with
> > -current/amd64 on an ATI Radeon 9200SE framebuffer.  The sound plays
> > just fine and the ogle video output window changes size in response to
> > the source material changing aspect ratio from 3:4 to 9:16.  The
> > problem is the window stays black and never shows any output.
> >
> > Invoking ogle as "OGLE_USE_XV=0 ogle /dev/dvd" (which turns off
> > ogle's use of the XVideo) does allow output to make it to the window,
> > but at great cost to the cpu.  Even a 2.0 Ghz amd64 can't keep up with
> > the 30fps frame rate, so that isn't a usable solution.  Something is
> > clearly wrong with XVideo or ogle's use of it.
> >
> > I'm at a loss whether this is a problem with 1) the ati radeon xorg
> > driver for my card 2) xorg's implementation of XVideo 3) ogle's use of
> > XVideo.  Are other folks having any success with amd64 and/or radeon
> > 9200se cards?
>
> Did you run any video application before ogle ?
>
> I've noticed for a while now that mplayer conflicts with ogle. Namely,
> if I use mplayer, then ogle, I get a blank screen. Radeon driver as well...
>
> This used to work, this no longer does.
>
> I've notified Matthieu Herb, but none of us has had any time to debug it
> yet...
>
> restart X windows, see if the problem disappear.

you can also manually reset the XV colorkey via xvctl.  i've tried to
figure out where the colorkey gets messed up in mplayer, but have
not found it yet.  vlc screws up the colorkey too.

<[hidden email]>

Re: ogle dvd player and xorg

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht-4

Jacob Meuser writes:
> you can also manually reset the XV colorkey via xvctl.  i've tried to
> figure out where the colorkey gets messed up in mplayer, but have
> not found it yet.  vlc screws up the colorkey too.

Good work!  I see that in my case the "autopaint_colorkey" gets
flipped from 1 to a 0.  I think this is where the deed is done:

mplayer-1.0pre7p13/MPlayer-1.0pre7/libvo/x11_common.c:2436:

    else // disable colorkey autopainting if supported
    {
      if ( xv_atom != None ) // we have autopaint attribute
      {
        XvSetPortAttribute( mDisplay, xv_port, xv_atom, 0 );
      }
    }

It isn't clear why ogle isn't resetting the "autopaint_colorkey" if it
needs it.  Maybe ogle needs a call to XvSetPortAttribute to set things
up the way it needs it???

-wolfgang

Re: ogle dvd player and xorg

Jacob Meuser
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:59:37PM -0800, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> Jacob Meuser writes:
> > you can also manually reset the XV colorkey via xvctl.  i've tried to
> > figure out where the colorkey gets messed up in mplayer, but have
> > not found it yet.  vlc screws up the colorkey too.
>
> Good work!  I see that in my case the "autopaint_colorkey" gets
> flipped from 1 to a 0.  I think this is where the deed is done:
>
> mplayer-1.0pre7p13/MPlayer-1.0pre7/libvo/x11_common.c:2436:
>
>     else // disable colorkey autopainting if supported
>     {
>       if ( xv_atom != None ) // we have autopaint attribute
>       {
>         XvSetPortAttribute( mDisplay, xv_port, xv_atom, 0 );
>       }
>     }
>

> It isn't clear why ogle isn't resetting the "autopaint_colorkey" if it
> needs it.  Maybe ogle needs a call to XvSetPortAttribute to set things
> up the way it needs it???

imo, mplayer should return the XV internals back to how they were when
it's done.

I've no problems with ogle, or other XV programs, as long as I don't use
mplayer or vlc first.

--
<[hidden email]>