offtopic: political correctness

Marko Cupać
Hi,

I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:

---cut-here---
Confidentiality
This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
---cut-here---

This sound quite nazi to me. Should Western European kiddie porn
syndicate be able to get my credit card number, as opposed to Eastern
European kiddie porn syndicate, which should not? Or does that mean
that kiddie porn syndicate exists only in Eastern Europe, but not in -
let's say - New Zealand or Canada?

I guess this was intended to be a joke, but in my opinion it sucks.
--
Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Andre Ruppert-3
Any other problems?

Am 08.05.15 um 16:30 schrieb Marko Cupać:

> Hi,
>
> I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
> but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:
>
> ---cut-here---
> Confidentiality
> This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
> mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
> porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
> ---cut-here---
>
> This sound quite nazi to me. Should Western European kiddie porn
> syndicate be able to get my credit card number, as opposed to Eastern
> European kiddie porn syndicate, which should not? Or does that mean
> that kiddie porn syndicate exists only in Eastern Europe, but not in -
> let's say - New Zealand or Canada?
>
> I guess this was intended to be a joke, but in my opinion it sucks.

Andre Ruppert

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Nick Holland
On 05/08/15 10:29, Marko Cupać wrote:
> I guess this was intended to be a joke, but in my opinion it sucks.

In that case, you may wish to avoid reading the FAQ, the man pages,
certainly not the commit message log.  You probably don't want to talk
to the developers.

The only thing PC about OpenBSD is ... a couple target platforms. :)

Nick.
(making note to offend more in the future)

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Austin Gilbert
> On May 8, 2015, at 9:30 AM, Marko Cupać <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
> but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:
>
> ---cut-here---
> Confidentiality
> This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
> mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
> porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
> ---cut-here---
>
> This sound quite nazi to me. Should Western European kiddie porn
> syndicate be able to get my credit card number, as opposed to Eastern
> European kiddie porn syndicate, which should not? Or does that mean
> that kiddie porn syndicate exists only in Eastern Europe, but not in -
> let's say - New Zealand or Canada?
>
> I guess this was intended to be a joke, but in my opinion it sucks.

Marko, you're right, this joke is culturally insensitive. You should take that up with the author of the book.

However, before you do, you should understand the joke is not completely unfounded. I recommend reading Brian Krebs's Spam Nation to better understand the context of the joke.

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Mihai Popescu-3
Contact the author of this book.
If I'm nost mistaken, the OpenBSD project is not affiliated in any way
with the book or the author. I think he can explain the best his
remarks to you.

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Jorge Gabriel Lopez Paramount
Quoting Marko Cupa? <[hidden email]>:

> I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
> but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:
>
> ---cut-here---
> Confidentiality
> This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
> mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
> porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
> ---cut-here---
>
> This sound quite nazi to me. Should Western European kiddie porn
> syndicate be able to get my credit card number, as opposed to Eastern
> European kiddie porn syndicate, which should not? Or does that mean
> that kiddie porn syndicate exists only in Eastern Europe, but not in -
> let's say - New Zealand or Canada?

Feel free to ask to change "Eastern European kiddie porn syndicate" by
"Mexican kidnapping drug cartel", I'm Mexican and would not mind at all.

--
Best regards,
Jorge Lopez.

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Traian Ciobanu-2
This seams racism to me. I leave in Eastern Europe and the autor thinks
that all us here are doing kiddie porn. I want to dissapoint him, we are
also building medical centers, schools, playgrounds. We will be glad to
welcome the author of the book to us and show him the real life here, not
the bullshit he sees on TV (pardon mon france).
Regards, Traian.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Jorge Gabriel Lopez Paramount <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Marko Cupa? <[hidden email]>:
>
>  I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
>> but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:
>>
>> ---cut-here---
>> Confidentiality
>> This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
>> mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
>> porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
>> ---cut-here---
>>
>> This sound quite nazi to me. Should Western European kiddie porn
>> syndicate be able to get my credit card number, as opposed to Eastern
>> European kiddie porn syndicate, which should not? Or does that mean
>> that kiddie porn syndicate exists only in Eastern Europe, but not in -
>> let's say - New Zealand or Canada?
>>

> Feel free to ask to change "Eastern European kiddie porn syndicate" by
> "Mexican kidnapping drug cartel", I'm Mexican and would not mind at all.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Jorge Lopez.

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Kevin Chadwick-4
On Fri, 8 May 2015 18:35:13 +0300
Traian Ciobanu wrote:

> all

If he had used "all or always" I would agree that it was racist but he
didn't?

Also if it had no basis in fact then it could be racist but apparently
it has atleast some.

Tasteful or not is another question.

Is the TAKEN film also racist?

I know eastern europeans can be very nice, so don't think that it
affects peoples opinion much if at all, certainly not mine anyway.

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Isimsiz
>Feel free to ask to change "Eastern European kiddie porn syndicate" by
"Mexican kidnapping drug cartel", I'm Mexican and would not mind at all.
Lmao

> This seams racism to me. I leave in Eastern Europe and the autor thinks
> that all us here are doing kiddie porn. I want to dissapoint him, we are
> also building medical centers, schools, playgrounds. We will be glad to
> welcome the author of the book to us and show him the real life here, not
> the bullshit he sees on TV (pardon mon france).
> Regards, Traian.
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Jorge Gabriel Lopez Paramount <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Marko Cupa? <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >  I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
> >> but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:
> >>
> >> ---cut-here---
> >> Confidentiality
> >> This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
> >> mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
> >> porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
> >> ---cut-here---
> >>
> >> This sound quite nazi to me. Should Western European kiddie porn
> >> syndicate be able to get my credit card number, as opposed to Eastern
> >> European kiddie porn syndicate, which should not? Or does that mean
> >> that kiddie porn syndicate exists only in Eastern Europe, but not in -
> >> let's say - New Zealand or Canada?
> >>

> > Feel free to ask to change "Eastern European kiddie porn syndicate" by
> > "Mexican kidnapping drug cartel", I'm Mexican and would not mind at all.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Jorge Lopez.

Re: offtopic: political correctness

jungle Boogie
On 8 May 2015 at 07:30, Marko Cupać <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
> but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:
>
> ---cut-here---
> Confidentiality
> This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
> mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
> porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
> ---cut-here---

This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
mation must not get into the public eye. No one should get your credit
card number but they do because you're not using OpenBSD yet.

> I guess this was intended to be a joke, but in my opinion it sucks.

Will Windows users be insulted?

--
-------
inum: 883510009027723
xmpp: [hidden email]

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Steve Litt
On Fri, 8 May 2015 16:30:15 +0200
Marko Cupać <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am reading 2nd edition of "Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Edition" and can't
> but notice paragraph "Confidentiality" on XXX page of Introduction:
>
> ---cut-here---
> Confidentiality
> This means that secret data should remain secret. Your private infor-
> mation must not get into the public eye. That Eastern European kiddie
> porn syndicate should not get your credit card number.
> ---cut-here---
>
> This sound quite nazi to me. Should Western European kiddie porn
> syndicate be able to get my credit card number, as opposed to Eastern
> European kiddie porn syndicate, which should not? Or does that mean
> that kiddie porn syndicate exists only in Eastern Europe, but not in -
> let's say - New Zealand or Canada?
>
> I guess this was intended to be a joke, but in my opinion it sucks.

Yes, it sucks, but no more than calling it "nazi". The day "Absolute
OpenBSD 2nd Edition" kills millions of Jews, Gypsies, and retarded
people, while invading Poland and rocketing London, it will earn the
epithet "nazi". Until then, using that epithet simply dilutes what the
real nazis did.

But yes, equating kiddie porn with Eastern Europe is subcontent wide
character assassination, and is wrong.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2015 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Giancarlo Razzolini-3
On 08-05-2015 15:38, Steve Litt wrote:
> Yes, it sucks, but no more than calling it "nazi". The day "Absolute
> OpenBSD 2nd Edition" kills millions of Jews, Gypsies, and retarded
> people, while invading Poland and rocketing London, it will earn the
> epithet "nazi". Until then, using that epithet simply dilutes what the
> real nazis did.
You proved your own point by saying "retarded people". Which is a term
that has not been (or should not) used for decades now. Just to prove
that is hard to please everyone. A joke is a joke. Sometimes it makes a
hard subject easier to swallow (as it is with cryptography). Perhaps
*that* one was misplaced.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini

On 08-05-2015 11:38, Nick Holland wrote:
> In that case, you may wish to avoid reading the FAQ, the man pages,
> certainly not the commit message log.

Come on. Those are hilarious!

>   You probably don't want to talk to the developers.

Some at least.

> The only thing PC about OpenBSD is ... a couple target platforms. :)

I'm remembering someone that was offended by smtpd manual page(IIRC).
Even sent a patch to fix it and everything!

> Nick.
> (making note to offend more in the future)
Oh no! Please don't!

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Pedro Tender
On Friday, May 8, 2015, Mihai Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Contact the author of this book.
> If I'm nost mistaken, the OpenBSD project is not affiliated in any way
> with the book or the author. I think he can explain the best his
> remarks to you.

This.
/noise
/thread
/care

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Daniel Ouellet
Man,

No one have any kind of sense of humor these days!!!

OpenBSD mailing list is not really for the faint of hart, why should any
books for OpenBSD be any different!

Just switch to any politically correct Linux flavors and move on...

At a minimum he wrote a book to try to help users, I am sure it's way
more then you have done so far...

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Maurits Fennis
 > I guess this was intended to be a joke, but in my opinion it sucks.

So don't laugh.

Maurits Fennis

Re: offtopic: political correctness

dan mclaughlin
On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:26:09 -0300 Giancarlo Razzolini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08-05-2015 11:38, Nick Holland wrote:
> > In that case, you may wish to avoid reading the FAQ, the man pages,
> > certainly not the commit message log.
>
> Come on. Those are hilarious!
>
> >   You probably don't want to talk to the developers.
>
> Some at least.
>

> > The only thing PC about OpenBSD is ... a couple target platforms. :)
>
> I'm remembering someone that was offended by smtpd manual page(IIRC).
> Even sent a patch to fix it and everything!
>

> > Nick.
> > (making note to offend more in the future)
> Oh no! Please don't!
>
> Cheers,
> Giancarlo Razzolini

this just reminded me of something from MANY years ago (15+). someone was
complaining about the jive port (which still exists, ha!) for PC reasons,
talking about litigation or some such. i loved Theo's response, which was
run thru jive, and said something similar to "People talkin' don't be
scribblin' no code". (i think his sentiment holds here too!)

i actually tried to find this in the archives a while back but couldn't (i
thought it would be a good addition to mg/theo.c, i still remember it all
these years later with a smile.)

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Steven Shockley
On 5/8/2015 7:34 PM, dan mclaughlin wrote:
> i actually tried to find this in the archives a while back but couldn't (i
> thought it would be a good addition to mg/theo.c, i still remember it all
> these years later with a smile.)

http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/ports/9912/msg00128.html

Re: offtopic: political correctness

Marc Espie-2
On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 07:34:31PM -0400, dan mclaughlin wrote:

> this just reminded me of something from MANY years ago (15+). someone was
> complaining about the jive port (which still exists, ha!) for PC reasons,
> talking about litigation or some such. i loved Theo's response, which was
> run thru jive, and said something similar to "People talkin' don't be
> scribblin' no code". (i think his sentiment holds here too!)

Well, you could write a variation on jive that talks south-african english.

Would probably be shockful with priviledge seperation and various other
mispellings Theo has graced us with over the years.