(no subject)

elo morio
Are there any existing  Documentation, manuals or supplementary
expository books that details out the internals of OpenBSD. Otherwise
what books or materials would be close enough to better aid the newbie
wishing to hack on the systems internals.

Re:

jungle Boogie
Thus said Elo Morio on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 09:28:12 +0100
> Are there any existing  Documentation, manuals or supplementary
> expository books that details out the internals of OpenBSD. Otherwise
> what books or materials would be close enough to better aid the newbie
> wishing to hack on the systems internals.

See this reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/7vfm54/is_there_any_book_or_something_that_helps_me_for/

Re: your mail

Chris Bennett-4
On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 08:28:12AM +0000, elo morio wrote:
> Are there any existing  Documentation, manuals or supplementary
> expository books that details out the internals of OpenBSD. Otherwise
> what books or materials would be close enough to better aid the newbie
> wishing to hack on the systems internals.

Lots  and none.
Have you read the entire website? There is a list of recommended books.
Do you already speak fluent C? Perl?

Download the source code tree. Study it.
Whatever other OS you have been using is NOT OpenBSD.

You might find porting in something useful to learning about what
OpenBSD is and is not.

Don't make feature requests. Do them. Ask if anyone is working on
something you would like to help with or need help with.

Help TEST, TEST, TEST!

Right at this moment in time, testing is the most useful thing you can
do. Briefly, things will open up for new source and ports code.
Install -current on anything you have and see if anything is broken.
It might have to wait to be fixed or be something really critical that
has to be known right now. It could also be something known that has
been decided is not going to be fixed because it will cause too many
other problems.

The mailing lists are a bit quiet right now because the developers are
furiously pulling everything together for 6.3 release.
You'll see once that work is done tons of new/updated ports emails, etc.

And yes, submitting your -current dmesg and saying that everything is
working is helpful. It's very helpful to know what is broken but also
neccesary to know what isn't broken to help out future/immediate work.

Speaking of testing, I think I'll go install the latest snapshot right
now. The flu, dental surgery and a stomach bug stopped me in my tracks,
but gotta go test!

Have fun,
Chris Bennett

Design-Implementation-FreeBSD-Operating-System

austin
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018, elo morio wrote:
> Are there any existing  Documentation, manuals or supplementary
> expository books that details out the internals of OpenBSD. Otherwise
> what books or materials would be close enough to better aid the newbie
> wishing to hack on the systems internals.

As mentioned in the reddit link, mentioned in one of the replies, the
FreeBSD book will give you a reasonable insight into the workings of most
BSD variants.

Don't buy one: Will send you my spare copy, free.  Eventually, let me (and
the list) know if it helped in your quest to understand OpenBSD better.
I found it fascinating.

Austin Hook

Re: Design-Implementation-FreeBSD-Operating-System

elo morio
Thank you guys for you responses, they have really been very helpful. Mr.
Austin I Would really appreciate a copy of the book. What would be needed
then?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018, elo morio wrote:
> Thank you guys for you responses, they have really been very helpful. Mr.
> Austin I Would really appreciate a copy of the book. What would be needed
> then?

Great! Will reply off list.