no fdisk on install

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

no fdisk on install

Ron Rodriguez
I attempted to use softraid for full disk encryption and failed:

Trying to follow the instructions from:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html  starting at
Full disk encryption

Model: Sunblade 2500 (Silver) Ultrasparc IIIi
OS: OpenBSD 6.0

stop a
ok boot cdrom

(S)hell? S
# fdisk
# sh: fdisk : not found
# fdisk -iy sd0
# sh: fdisk : not found

What is the work around / issue here?  

This installs fine to text mode using  (I) Install mode, except for no
xorg.

I have a XVR-600 (SUNW, 375-3153) video card on ifb0 and startx
fails.  No xorg for this card?  what card do I need for running the
GUI with this computer ? Thanks.

Ron Rodriguez

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: no fdisk on install

Nick Holland
On 01/01/17 02:26, Ron Rodriguez wrote:
> I attempted to use softraid for full disk encryption and failed:
>
> Trying to follow the instructions from:
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html  starting at
> Full disk encryption
>
> Model: Sunblade 2500 (Silver) Ultrasparc IIIi

this is important.

> OS: OpenBSD 6.0
>
> stop a
> ok boot cdrom
>
> (S)hell? S
> # fdisk
> # sh: fdisk : not found
> # fdisk -iy sd0
> # sh: fdisk : not found
>
> What is the work around / issue here?  
>
> This installs fine to text mode using  (I) Install mode, except for no
> xorg.
>
> I have a XVR-600 (SUNW, 375-3153) video card on ifb0 and startx
> fails.  No xorg for this card?  what card do I need for running the
> GUI with this computer ? Thanks.

Some platforms do not have fdisk, as they never use the
DOS/Windows/linux MBR disk layout system. sparc64 is one of those.

So, you get to skip the fdisk steps.  Jump right to disklabel, creating
your RAID partitions, etc.

Nick.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: no fdisk on install

Ron Rodriguez
Thanks for the help.  I carried on with the remainder of the
instructions and it seemed to take.  However on reboot I get the
following:

sr0*
Trying bsd...
open /pci@1d,700000/scsi@4/disk@0,0:a/etc/random.seed: Invalid argument
open /pci@1d,700000/scsi@4/disk@0,0:a/bsd/: Invalid argument

Boot:

# what do I type in at this stage.  It doesn't seem to want my
passphrase for the softraid.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

Ron Rodriguez

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 14:48:54 -0500.44999999999998863
Nick Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/01/17 02:26, Ron Rodriguez wrote:
> > I attempted to use softraid for full disk encryption and failed:
> >
> > Trying to follow the instructions from:
> > http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html  starting at
> > Full disk encryption
> >
> > Model: Sunblade 2500 (Silver) Ultrasparc IIIi  
>
> this is important.
>
> > OS: OpenBSD 6.0
> >
> > stop a
> > ok boot cdrom
> >
> > (S)hell? S
> > # fdisk
> > # sh: fdisk : not found
> > # fdisk -iy sd0
> > # sh: fdisk : not found
> >
> > What is the work around / issue here?  
> >
> > This installs fine to text mode using  (I) Install mode, except for
> > no xorg.
> >
> > I have a XVR-600 (SUNW, 375-3153) video card on ifb0 and startx
> > fails.  No xorg for this card?  what card do I need for running the
> > GUI with this computer ? Thanks.  
>
> Some platforms do not have fdisk, as they never use the
> DOS/Windows/linux MBR disk layout system. sparc64 is one of those.
>
> So, you get to skip the fdisk steps.  Jump right to disklabel,
> creating your RAID partitions, etc.
>
> Nick.
>