new: x11/ede

Pascal Stumpf
EDE (Equinox Desktop Environment) is simple and fast desktop
environment with familiar look and feel. EDE uses FLTK toolkit for
GUI presentation and UNIX philosophy for it's design.

With UNIX philosophy, EDE splits each component in separate executable
entity to do one job and do it good. This makes EDE very easy to
alter for user needs and requirements.

EDE is light and fast. It uses C++ carefully yielding fast startup,
low memory usage and great portability. Also, we care not only about
how fast EDE runs, but how much time is needed to compile it.

These facts makes EDE a perfect desktop environment for older
computers and embedded devices. But, you can use it on your everyday
hardware too.

ok?

ede.tgz (20K) Download Attachment

Re: new: x11/ede

Amit Kulkarni-5
On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 02:30:54 +0200
Pascal Stumpf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> EDE (Equinox Desktop Environment) is simple and fast desktop
> environment with familiar look and feel. EDE uses FLTK toolkit for
> GUI presentation and UNIX philosophy for it's design.
>
> With UNIX philosophy, EDE splits each component in separate executable
> entity to do one job and do it good. This makes EDE very easy to
> alter for user needs and requirements.
>
> EDE is light and fast. It uses C++ carefully yielding fast startup,
> low memory usage and great portability. Also, we care not only about
> how fast EDE runs, but how much time is needed to compile it.
>
> These facts makes EDE a perfect desktop environment for older
> computers and embedded devices. But, you can use it on your everyday
> hardware too.
>
> ok?

Wow, just wow. Blown away, I have switched to ede right away from e16. Tested on amd64.

Re: new: x11/ede

Landry Breuil-6
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 02:30:54AM +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:

> EDE (Equinox Desktop Environment) is simple and fast desktop
> environment with familiar look and feel. EDE uses FLTK toolkit for
> GUI presentation and UNIX philosophy for it's design.
>
> With UNIX philosophy, EDE splits each component in separate executable
> entity to do one job and do it good. This makes EDE very easy to
> alter for user needs and requirements.
>
> EDE is light and fast. It uses C++ carefully yielding fast startup,
> low memory usage and great portability. Also, we care not only about
> how fast EDE runs, but how much time is needed to compile it.
>
> These facts makes EDE a perfect desktop environment for older
> computers and embedded devices. But, you can use it on your everyday
> hardware too.

I started something one year ago, but quickly gave up when i saw it was
using jam and the configure scripts were that broken... :)
ede/lib seems to have symlinks to .so for libs, or a copy. That should
be removed. Make sure the configure patches (and the others!) are pushed
upstream to fix those broken pkg-config detections.
ede/desktop lacks a depend on x11/gtk+2,guic and the corresponding goos.

Landry

Re: new: x11/ede

Landry Breuil-6
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:39:24AM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 02:30:54AM +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
> > EDE (Equinox Desktop Environment) is simple and fast desktop
> > environment with familiar look and feel. EDE uses FLTK toolkit for
> > GUI presentation and UNIX philosophy for it's design.
> >
> > With UNIX philosophy, EDE splits each component in separate executable
> > entity to do one job and do it good. This makes EDE very easy to
> > alter for user needs and requirements.
> >
> > EDE is light and fast. It uses C++ carefully yielding fast startup,
> > low memory usage and great portability. Also, we care not only about
> > how fast EDE runs, but how much time is needed to compile it.
> >
> > These facts makes EDE a perfect desktop environment for older
> > computers and embedded devices. But, you can use it on your everyday
> > hardware too.
>
> I started something one year ago, but quickly gave up when i saw it was
> using jam and the configure scripts were that broken... :)
> ede/lib seems to have symlinks to .so for libs, or a copy. That should
> be removed. Make sure the configure patches (and the others!) are pushed
> upstream to fix those broken pkg-config detections.
> ede/desktop lacks a depend on x11/gtk+2,guic and the corresponding goos.

Oh, and it will conflict with x11/pekwm since it builds its own copy of
it.. maybe disable it in the build and RUN_DEPENDS on it ? Or if it's
too different, rename it ?

Landry

Re: new: x11/ede

Landry Breuil-6
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:57:32AM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:39:24AM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 02:30:54AM +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
> > > EDE (Equinox Desktop Environment) is simple and fast desktop
> > > environment with familiar look and feel. EDE uses FLTK toolkit for
> > > GUI presentation and UNIX philosophy for it's design.
> > >
> > > With UNIX philosophy, EDE splits each component in separate executable
> > > entity to do one job and do it good. This makes EDE very easy to
> > > alter for user needs and requirements.
> > >
> > > EDE is light and fast. It uses C++ carefully yielding fast startup,
> > > low memory usage and great portability. Also, we care not only about
> > > how fast EDE runs, but how much time is needed to compile it.
> > >
> > > These facts makes EDE a perfect desktop environment for older
> > > computers and embedded devices. But, you can use it on your everyday
> > > hardware too.
> >
> > I started something one year ago, but quickly gave up when i saw it was
> > using jam and the configure scripts were that broken... :)
> > ede/lib seems to have symlinks to .so for libs, or a copy. That should
> > be removed. Make sure the configure patches (and the others!) are pushed
> > upstream to fix those broken pkg-config detections.
> > ede/desktop lacks a depend on x11/gtk+2,guic and the corresponding goos.
>
> Oh, and it will conflict with x11/pekwm since it builds its own copy of
> it.. maybe disable it in the build and RUN_DEPENDS on it ? Or if it's
> too different, rename it ?

Seems to start fine on powerpc, but:
- there are no icons (probably due to missing cache generation).
- The memory monitor seems to be disabled by default in the code.. ?
- i find it strange that ede doesnt LIB_DEPENDS on edelib.. static
  linking ? dlopen() ?
- The screensaver thingy seems to depend on xscreensaver.
- edelib-*theme are python scripts whose shebang should be adapted +
  RDEP on python.
- emountd requires HAL, so maybe disable it ?

Other than that, looks good.
Landry

Re: new: x11/ede

Pascal Stumpf
On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 10:03:17 +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:57:32AM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> > > I started something one year ago, but quickly gave up when i saw it was
> > > using jam and the configure scripts were that broken... :)
> > > ede/lib seems to have symlinks to .so for libs, or a copy. That should
> > > be removed. Make sure the configure patches (and the others!) are pushed
> > > upstream to fix those broken pkg-config detections.
> > > ede/desktop lacks a depend on x11/gtk+2,guic and the corresponding goos.
Done.

Added @conflict with pekwm-*.

> Seems to start fine on powerpc, but:
> - there are no icons (probably due to missing cache generation).
> - The memory monitor seems to be disabled by default in the code.. ?

Yes, it's Linux-only.

> - i find it strange that ede doesnt LIB_DEPENDS on edelib.. static
>   linking ? dlopen() ?

D'oh.  That was due to a stupid -soname in edelib.  Fixed.

> - The screensaver thingy seems to depend on xscreensaver.

It can use both xlock and xscreensaver, so I decided against a RDEP on
xscreensaver.

> - edelib-*theme are python scripts whose shebang should be adapted +
>   RDEP on python.

Done.

> - emountd requires HAL, so maybe disable it ?

Yep, commented out.

> Other than that, looks good.
> Landry

ede.tgz (30K) Download Attachment

Re: new: x11/ede

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Pascal Stumpf <[hidden email]> writes:

[...]

>> Seems to start fine on powerpc, but:
>> - there are no icons (probably due to missing cache generation).
>> - The memory monitor seems to be disabled by default in the code.. ?
>
> Yes, it's Linux-only.
>
>> - i find it strange that ede doesnt LIB_DEPENDS on edelib.. static
>>   linking ? dlopen() ?
>
> D'oh.  That was due to a stupid -soname in edelib.  Fixed.
>
>> - The screensaver thingy seems to depend on xscreensaver.
>
> It can use both xlock and xscreensaver, so I decided against a RDEP on
> xscreensaver.
>
>> - edelib-*theme are python scripts whose shebang should be adapted +
>>   RDEP on python.
>
> Done.
>
>> - emountd requires HAL, so maybe disable it ?
> Yep, commented out.

So do "Restart" / "Shut Down".

Also the gui audio mixer doesn't seem to do anything, and the program
launcher behaves weirdly (doesn't accept input when a window is on
screen, even when it has the focus. *shrug*).

>> Other than that, looks good.

Same here.

--
Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas
PGP Key fingerprint: 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90  8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494

Re: new: x11/ede

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
[hidden email] (Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas) writes:
[...]
> Also the gui audio mixer doesn't seem to do anything,

Forget about that, I mixed up the "system bell" menu with some kind of
audio mixer. :)

[...]