new: owx

Mitja Muženič
-------------------------------------
  OWX (Open Wouxun) is an open-source program designed to program Wouxun
transceivers. It was developed on Wouxun KG-UV2D and tested on KG-UVD1P
(both identify as KG669V). Possibly other Wouxuns are supported too, but
this is not guaranteed - use at your own risk and ALWAYS make backups!
This software is highly experimental. Using it can result in rendering
your radio unusable and your dog killed. You have been warned.
--------------------------------------

Tested on my Wouxun KG-817 HAM radio with a Prolific USB-to-serial
adapter with fancy wiring at the end so it hooks up to the radio's
speaker and mic jacks (as described in /usr/local/share/doc/owx/README).
Since the protocol and memory layouts of the radio are reverse
engineered, not every function is supported.

Criticism welcome since I'm a bit rusty. The distfile disappears daily
though, any ideas where to host it?

Mitja

owx.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: new: owx

Landry Breuil-6
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 04:47:58PM +0200, Mitja Muženi?? wrote:

> -------------------------------------
>  OWX (Open Wouxun) is an open-source program designed to program Wouxun
> transceivers. It was developed on Wouxun KG-UV2D and tested on KG-UVD1P
> (both identify as KG669V). Possibly other Wouxuns are supported too, but
> this is not guaranteed - use at your own risk and ALWAYS make backups!
> This software is highly experimental. Using it can result in rendering
> your radio unusable and your dog killed. You have been warned.
> --------------------------------------
>
> Tested on my Wouxun KG-817 HAM radio with a Prolific USB-to-serial
> adapter with fancy wiring at the end so it hooks up to the radio's
> speaker and mic jacks (as described in
> /usr/local/share/doc/owx/README). Since the protocol and memory
> layouts of the radio are reverse engineered, not every function is
> supported.
>
> Criticism welcome since I'm a bit rusty. The distfile disappears
> daily though, any ideas where to host it?

The port itself looks good besides the trailing whitespaces in DESCR.
for the distfile hosting, ask sthen/jasper/ajacoutot since they already
host shitloads of distfiles..

Landry

Re: new: owx

Mitja Muženič
(forgot to reply all)

>  On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 04:47:58PM +0200, Mitja Muženi?? wrote:
>>  -------------------------------------
>>    OWX (Open Wouxun) is an open-source program designed to program Wouxun
>>  transceivers. It was developed on Wouxun KG-UV2D and tested on KG-UVD1P
>>  (both identify as KG669V). Possibly other Wouxuns are supported too, but
>>  this is not guaranteed - use at your own risk and ALWAYS make backups!
>>  This software is highly experimental. Using it can result in rendering
>>  your radio unusable and your dog killed. You have been warned.
>>  --------------------------------------
>>
>>  Tested on my Wouxun KG-817 HAM radio with a Prolific USB-to-serial
>>  adapter with fancy wiring at the end so it hooks up to the radio's
>>  speaker and mic jacks (as described in
>>  /usr/local/share/doc/owx/README). Since the protocol and memory
>>  layouts of the radio are reverse engineered, not every function is
>>  supported.
>>
>>  Criticism welcome since I'm a bit rusty. The distfile disappears
>>  daily though, any ideas where to host it?
>  The port itself looks good besides the trailing whitespaces in DESCR.
>  for the distfile hosting, ask sthen/jasper/ajacoutot since they already
>  host shitloads of distfiles..
>
>  Landry

Fixed the whitespaces (I think) and jasper was kind enough to host the
distfile. Updated port attached.

Mitja

owx.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: new: owx

STeve Andre'
On 09/18/11 12:19, Mitja Muženič wrote:

> (forgot to reply all)

Excellent!  I didn't know this existed.  As it happens, I have a KG-UV10
to test this on.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en72

Re: new: owx

Mitja Muženič
On 09/18/11 20:39, STeve Andre' wrote:

> On 09/18/11 12:19, Mitja Muženič wrote:
>> (forgot to reply all)

I am glad that I am not the only one with a Wouxun radio :) It will
probably work even better on a KG-UV1 than on my KG-817, just make sure
to read the docs carefully. Let me know if it works for you.

Regards, Mitja, S57PNX

Re: new: owx

Jiri B-2
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:10:33 +0200
Mitja Muženič <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am glad that I am not the only one with a Wouxun radio :) It will
> probably work even better on a KG-UV1 than on my KG-817, just make
> sure to read the docs carefully. Let me know if it works for you.

Hi,

I'm just curious, what do you use these radios for in days of mobile
phones and sms? If it is not confidential :-)

jirib

Re: new: owx

Mitja Muzenic
On 09/18/11 21:47, jirib wrote:

>> I am glad that I am not the only one with a Wouxun radio :) It will
>> probably work even better on a KG-UV1 than on my KG-817, just make
>> sure to read the docs carefully. Let me know if it works for you.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious, what do you use these radios for in days of mobile
> phones and sms? If it is not confidential :-)
>
> jirib

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

Mitja

Re: new: owx

STeve Andre'
On 09/18/11 15:47, jirib wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious, what do you use these radios for in days of mobile
> phones and sms? If it is not confidential :-)
>
> jirib

Totally off topic, but ham radio is almost always the first means of
communications after a disaster.  It's also a system to bridge between
various agencies during said disasters as just about no government
has been able to coordinate cross-agency stuff.  This is true every
where.  Not to mention hams building satellites, digital networks,
bouncing signals off the Moon and hordes of other things.  You cell
phone *will* die during any kind of real emergency.  My ham systems
won't.     ;-)

--STeve Andre'