new: lane/janet

James Turner-5
Attached is a new port for a programming language called Janet. It's a
pretty cool small functional imperative programming language with no
depends.

oks?

Information for inst:janet-0.3.0

Comment:
functional and imperative programming language.

Janet is a functional and imperative programming language. The entire
language (core library, interpreter, compiler, assembler) is about
200-300 kB and should run on many constrained systems.

Maintainer: James Turner <[hidden email]>

WWW: https://www.janet-lang.org/

--
James Turner

janet-0.3.0.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: new: lane/janet

Brian Callahan-3
Hi James --

On 2/15/19 5:51 PM, James Turner wrote:

> Attached is a new port for a programming language called Janet. It's a
> pretty cool small functional imperative programming language with no
> depends.
>
> oks?
>
> Information for inst:janet-0.3.0
>
> Comment:
> functional and imperative programming language.

> Janet is a functional and imperative programming language. The entire
> language (core library, interpreter, compiler, assembler) is about
> 200-300 kB and should run on many constrained systems.
>
> Maintainer: James Turner <[hidden email]>
>
> WWW: https://www.janet-lang.org/

Thanks for looking into this. Was on my TODO list :)

Here's a new tarball that changes some things:
* Put a little more text in pkg/DESCR
* Use the GH_* variables since upstream doesn't cut real tarballs (but
maybe you can convince them to do that?)
* Replace the hardcoded -O2 with CFLAGS
* Version the shared library libjanet, regen PLIST to update that
* Use a date stamp instead of the git hash for JANET_BUILD so at least
we have some info there and don't try to run git, similar to what I did
with OpenRCT2

Let me know what you think.

All tests pass here on amd64 and arm64.

~Brian

janet.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: new: lane/janet

Stuart Henderson
On 2019/02/16 11:56, Brian Callahan wrote:

> Hi James --
>
> On 2/15/19 5:51 PM, James Turner wrote:
> > Attached is a new port for a programming language called Janet. It's a
> > pretty cool small functional imperative programming language with no
> > depends.
> >
> > oks?
> >
> > Information for inst:janet-0.3.0
> >
> > Comment:
> > functional and imperative programming language.

> > Janet is a functional and imperative programming language. The entire
> > language (core library, interpreter, compiler, assembler) is about
> > 200-300 kB and should run on many constrained systems.
> >
> > Maintainer: James Turner <[hidden email]>
> >
> > WWW: https://www.janet-lang.org/
> >

> Thanks for looking into this. Was on my TODO list :)
>
> Here's a new tarball that changes some things:
> * Put a little more text in pkg/DESCR
> * Use the GH_* variables since upstream doesn't cut real tarballs (but maybe
> you can convince them to do that?)
> * Replace the hardcoded -O2 with CFLAGS
> * Version the shared library libjanet, regen PLIST to update that
> * Use a date stamp instead of the git hash for JANET_BUILD so at least we
> have some info there and don't try to run git, similar to what I did with
> OpenRCT2

It feels like it would be better to use the version from the tag there.
We aren't going on any big push to patch things to force consistent
builds but I don't think it makes sense to include things that we *know*
are different from build to build.

> Let me know what you think.
>
> All tests pass here on amd64 and arm64.
>
> ~Brian

 else
-       CFLAGS:=$(CFLAGS) -rdynamic
-       CLIBS:=$(CLIBS) -lrt
+       CFLAGS:=$(CFLAGS)
+       CLIBS:=$(CLIBS)
 endif

Just delete the else block instead?

Re: new: lane/janet

James Turner-5
On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 11:56:15AM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:

> Hi James --
>
> On 2/15/19 5:51 PM, James Turner wrote:
> > Attached is a new port for a programming language called Janet. It's a
> > pretty cool small functional imperative programming language with no
> > depends.
> >
> > oks?
> >
> > Information for inst:janet-0.3.0
> >
> > Comment:
> > functional and imperative programming language.

> > Janet is a functional and imperative programming language. The entire
> > language (core library, interpreter, compiler, assembler) is about
> > 200-300 kB and should run on many constrained systems.
> >
> > Maintainer: James Turner <[hidden email]>
> >
> > WWW: https://www.janet-lang.org/
> >

> Thanks for looking into this. Was on my TODO list :)
>
> Here's a new tarball that changes some things:
> * Put a little more text in pkg/DESCR
> * Use the GH_* variables since upstream doesn't cut real tarballs (but maybe
> you can convince them to do that?)
> * Replace the hardcoded -O2 with CFLAGS
> * Version the shared library libjanet, regen PLIST to update that
> * Use a date stamp instead of the git hash for JANET_BUILD so at least we
> have some info there and don't try to run git, similar to what I did with
> OpenRCT2
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> All tests pass here on amd64 and arm64.
>
> ~Brian

Looks good to me with stuart's suggestion to just rm the else clause. ok
jturner@

--
James Turner