new computer

Zoran Kolic-4
For some future period I will get new node to run on openbsd.
First dilema is to have laptop or desktop. Both have something
to learn about supported hardware. I'd like to know what are
popular el cheapo parts. Current, since at my place anything
older than 1-2 years cannot be found.

1. For desktop, some integrated solution. Like amd a4-3300.
Or to run for intel? No need for 3d or movies or games. I cannot
understand the state of this newer chips. In short: what inte-
grated cpu? What is good and proven mobo for that cpu?

2. The only option not to break the bank, 14" laptop is asus x401a.
Intel Celeron Dual Core B830 1.8GH, Intel HD Graphics 2000
(Intel GT2), probably some atheros bgn wifi.HM70 Express Chip
set. Or: AMD Ontario Dual-Core C60 1.33GH, AMD Radeon
Mobility HD6290 (C60) AP, whoknowswhatwifi, as amd version.

I've read supported hardware lists. Something is not available,
something is on expensive side. I already have nodes for mundane
tasks and would like to have dedicated box for openbsd, 64 bit.
If I go for desktop, I want the least expensive option and wor-
king on openbsd 5.2. The same for 14 inch laptop, probably with
matte screen, which is hard to find under $500.
The more I read, less I know what to buy.
Best regards

                            Zoran

Re: new computer

Jiri B-2
On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 04:53:08PM +0100, Zoran Kolic wrote:

> For some future period I will get new node to run on openbsd.
> First dilema is to have laptop or desktop. Both have something
> to learn about supported hardware. I'd like to know what are
> popular el cheapo parts. Current, since at my place anything
> older than 1-2 years cannot be found.
>
> 1. For desktop, some integrated solution. Like amd a4-3300.
> Or to run for intel? No need for 3d or movies or games. I cannot
> understand the state of this newer chips. In short: what inte-
> grated cpu? What is good and proven mobo for that cpu?
>
> 2. The only option not to break the bank, 14" laptop is asus x401a.
> Intel Celeron Dual Core B830 1.8GH, Intel HD Graphics 2000
> (Intel GT2), probably some atheros bgn wifi.HM70 Express Chip
> set. Or: AMD Ontario Dual-Core C60 1.33GH, AMD Radeon
> Mobility HD6290 (C60) AP, whoknowswhatwifi, as amd version.
>
> I've read supported hardware lists. Something is not available,
> something is on expensive side. I already have nodes for mundane
> tasks and would like to have dedicated box for openbsd, 64 bit.
> If I go for desktop, I want the least expensive option and wor-
> king on openbsd 5.2. The same for 14 inch laptop, probably with
> matte screen, which is hard to find under $500.
> The more I read, less I know what to buy.
> Best regards

Buy a refurbished ThinkPad, still better older ThinkPad than
shitty plastic Acer/Asus crapbook.

jirib

Re: new computer

Chris M-2
Your comments about asus are strictly personal opinion. I've owned an Asus
laptop for more than a year and it has been rock solid. I've knocked it
onto the floor a couple of times, it has been banged around and it's still
going strong. Also cheaper than a thinkpad.

> Buy a refurbished ThinkPad, still better older ThinkPad than
> shitty plastic Acer/Asus crapbook.
>
> jirib

Re: new computer

Olivier Calzi
Exactly, we are not here to debate about which firm is better but for the
probleme every one can be met with openbsd or some subjects about
technologie which is on Openbsd.

Best Regards
Olivier Calzi

--
Cordialement
Olivier Calzi

Re: new computer

K.André Braselmann
Buy a refurbished ThinkPad, still better older ThinkPad than
> shitty plastic Acer/Asus crapbook.
>
> jirib
>
> I've got 3 pieces of them in the basement. After 1095 days (warranty in
germany: 3 yrs)
battery is dead (spare 100€) and the rest will also give up in the next
half year.
Seems to be the "El cheapo Canon printer business model". Usually they got
exactly ONE BIOS update.
Bought several used ThinkPads and everyone is happy. In Germany about
200-300€

André

Re: new computer

Chris M-2
You do realize the typical life of a battery is about a year? The life of a
battery, when it has reached its expected and standard life does not
reflect the quality of a pc. At any rate, it's not my intention to debate
the quality of a particular brand or OEM. But, I like to defend a product
when misguided information is posted as an absolute or as fact.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:11 AM, K.André Braselmann <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Buy a refurbished ThinkPad, still better older ThinkPad than
> > shitty plastic Acer/Asus crapbook.
> >
> > jirib
> >
> > I've got 3 pieces of them in the basement. After 1095 days (warranty in
> germany: 3 yrs)
> battery is dead (spare 100€) and the rest will also give up in the next
> half year.
> Seems to be the "El cheapo Canon printer business model". Usually they got
> exactly ONE BIOS update.
> Bought several used ThinkPads and everyone is happy. In Germany about
> 200-300€
>
> André

Re: new computer

Zoran Kolic-4
> Buy a refurbished ThinkPad, still better older ThinkPad than
> shitty plastic Acer/Asus crapbook.

Not an option. At my place there is no market of that type.
Further people do not buy laptops of business kind.
I will change the subject, to closely match questions I have.
Best regards all

                           Zoran

Re: new computer

Kevin Chadwick-2
> Buy a refurbished ThinkPad, still better older ThinkPad

Anyone know of a good place to look for and what model the latest
thinkpad with fullscreen/without widescreen would be.

I'm guessing fullscreen and usb3 and pci express is an impossible mix
never minding throwing in running superbly on OpenBSD but how about
fullscreen and pci express and OpenBSD?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Re: new computer

john slee
On 10 January 2013 22:21, Matt Morrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You do realize the typical life of a battery is about a year?

Poppycock.

My FondletopPro battery still gives damn close to the performance
it gave new in early 2011. The battery in my Fondleslab 3GS is
near 4 years now and hasn't degraded that much either. Same
again for my Dell Latitude corporate drone unit.

If so many folks here are recommending Thinkpads, it's probably
because (a) they are (or at least used to be) very well engineered
laptops, and (b) shit works, yo.

John

Re: new computer

sven falempin
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM, john slee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 January 2013 22:21, Matt Morrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You do realize the typical life of a battery is about a year?
>

> Poppycock.
>
> My FondletopPro battery still gives damn close to the performance
> it gave new in early 2011. The battery in my Fondleslab 3GS is
> near 4 years now and hasn't degraded that much either. Same
> again for my Dell Latitude corporate drone unit.
>
> If so many folks here are recommending Thinkpads, it's probably
> because (a) they are (or at least used to be) very well engineered
> laptops, and (b) shit works, yo.
>
> John

laptop battery , what a joke .

asus: one of the ultra low cost pieces -may- break, the other will rock
solid.

and btw, stop smoking, it is bad for your computer.

/\

Re: new computer

Barbier, Jason
On 2013-01-15 09:59, sven falempin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM, john slee <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10 January 2013 22:21, Matt Morrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > You do realize the typical life of a battery is about a year?
>>

>> Poppycock.
>>
>> My FondletopPro battery still gives damn close to the performance
>> it gave new in early 2011. The battery in my Fondleslab 3GS is
>> near 4 years now and hasn't degraded that much either. Same
>> again for my Dell Latitude corporate drone unit.
>>
>> If so many folks here are recommending Thinkpads, it's probably
>> because (a) they are (or at least used to be) very well engineered
>> laptops, and (b) shit works, yo.
>>
>> John
>>

> laptop battery , what a joke .
+1, Laptop batteries area planned to have a 1-2 year life, and some
times you get less some times you get more, I have one Thinkpad that the
battery lasted about 6 months and wont hold a charge, I have another
that is 5 years old.

> asus: one of the ultra low cost pieces -may- break, the other will
> rock
> solid.

For sure Asus is kind of a grab bag, but its generally a good bag.

> and btw, stop smoking, it is bad for your computer.
+1

I usually like to ask peoples budgets before i give them
recommendations but its almost always Asus or Thinkpad.

--
Jason Barbier