net/wireless: remove

Klemens Nanni-2
This port came to be before ifconfig(8)'s `join' was a thing;  nowadays
it serves no different purpose and has not benefit compared to `join'.

OK to remove?

ports removal (was Re: net/wireless: remove)

Daniel Jakots-6
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 14:34:36 +0200, Klemens Nanni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This port came to be before ifconfig(8)'s `join' was a thing;
> nowadays it serves no different purpose and has not benefit compared
> to `join'.
>
> OK to remove?

Between this mail and the actual commit there was only 36 minutes. Can
you please wait for answers next time? Otherwise there's little point
to mail ports@ if you don't give people the time to react.

(This not about net/wireless, but about the way we remove ports in a
general way)

I thought we waited a week* between the email to ports@ and the
removal. I don't see any reason to hurry to remove a port.

* like the usual maintainer's timeout

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: net/wireless: remove

Gregor Best-2

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 02:34:36PM +0200, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> This port came to be before ifconfig(8)'s `join' was a thing;  nowadays
> it serves no different purpose and has not benefit compared to `join'.
> [...]

I very dimly remember suggesting net/wireless for removal shortly after
`join` came along. Maybe it was pushed back to wait after the subsequent
release?

> OK to remove?
> [...]

In any case, I'm very much OK with removing the port.

--
        Gregor