n00b question

Bryan C. Everly-2
Hi,

I am thinking about picking up a Vaxstation 3100 VS42A and had a
questionable n about how to get a DB9 serial console connection on it.
Is there somewhere I can get the right cable that anyone on the list
could recommend?

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: n00b question

Sebastian Reitenbach
On 12/14/15 20:30, Bryan Everly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about picking up a Vaxstation 3100 VS42A and had a
> questionable n about how to get a DB9 serial console connection on it.
> Is there somewhere I can get the right cable that anyone on the list
> could recommend?

I don't know where to get original cables, maybe on ebay.
I once soldered one on my own for my VaxStation 4000/60.
Google a bit, and you'll find plenty of soldering instructions.
Results may not look incredibly nice, but for me, I at least
got something working, for a couple of bucks ;)

cheers,
Sebastian

> Thanks,
> Bryan

Re: n00b question

Thomas-2
You'll need a MMJ connector

http://www.pacificcable.com/More_Pages/Modular-Adapters/DB9-Female-To-DEC-MMJ-Adapter.html

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Sebastian Reitenbach
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/14/15 20:30, Bryan Everly wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am thinking about picking up a Vaxstation 3100 VS42A and had a
>> questionable n about how to get a DB9 serial console connection on it.
>> Is there somewhere I can get the right cable that anyone on the list
>> could recommend?
>

> I don't know where to get original cables, maybe on ebay.
> I once soldered one on my own for my VaxStation 4000/60.
> Google a bit, and you'll find plenty of soldering instructions.
> Results may not look incredibly nice, but for me, I at least
> got something working, for a couple of bucks ;)
>
> cheers,
> Sebastian
>

>> Thanks,
>> Bryan

Re: n00b question

Darren Clark-2
There are 2 serial ports on the back of a VS 3100, but they are RJ style
(like Ethernet and phone plugs). Most likely you'll have to do some
soldering and parts sourcing, here is a pinout of the plug.

http://www.xanthos.se/~joachim/ds3100-pinouts.html

Darren Clark
VAX Server 3100-40