mozilla/firefox serif font

Jimmy Scott
Hello misc@,

I had this problem a long time, and I've spend the last 48 hours looking
and trying for a solution without success (not for the first time).

The problem I'm facing is that on sites which don't use a specific font,
which should default to 'serif' and actually is 'bitstream vera serif',
the text is/looks bold/blurry (wider than 1px). This really anoyes me
when reading text/books because it give me a headache on an LCD screen.

I'm using firefox (also tried mozilla) with default font settings etc,
I'm not using a window manager which injects all kind of crap into xrdb,
And I tried different things with fonts.conf, local.conf, mkfont*, ...

I also tried copying things from FreeBSD without success (because things
display fine on FreeBSD and others) and I really want to stop using
FreeBSD just for that very last and probably stupid reason, but it's
very valuable for me concerning my health. I tried to compare everything
that came up in my mind or I could find on google, but none worked.

Is there anyone out there that knows how this could be fixed? I'd like
to keep the same fonts as I see on FreeBSD, which are 1px wide (except
text into <H*> offcource.

Example page which should have the 1px text:
http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/trusted-path.ht
ml

Any help or hints are welcome, really, I would appreciate it a lot.

I'm using 3.8 release and ion3-ds as window manager.

Kind regards,
Jimmy Scott

--
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Death, Famine, War, and SNMP

Re: mozilla/firefox serif font

Speek
Jimmy Scott <jimmy <at> inet-solutions.be> writes:

> The problem I'm facing is that on sites which don't use a specific font,
> which should default to 'serif' and actually is 'bitstream vera serif',
> the text is/looks bold/blurry (wider than 1px). This really anoyes me
> when reading text/books because it give me a headache on an LCD screen.

Yes, the serif font looks fat/bold here too. But I've set the default

Speek