mirror.cs.wisc.edu

Roger Midmore
I'm an alumni from the CS Department at Wisconsin who uses OpenBSD and I
recently got them to update their mirror page to reflect the fact that
they mirror the OpenBSD releases. They have had a mirror for some time but
I don't think they have openly publicized the fact. Their servers sit on
fiber optic lines to the national backbone in Chicago and I have always
found it to be one of the fastest OpenBSD mirrors available no matter my
location (even in Europe). Sometimes they can be lax in updating their
mirror to the current release but if you send a email to [hidden email]
(computer systems lab) they will generally update the mirror within a day
(M-F 9:00-5:000). I was hoping that Wisconsin could be added to the list
of download sites so that other people could take advantage of the
services provided by such a outstanding institution.

roger

btw
the actual path to the openbsd releases for both http and ftp is
mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/OpenBSD

Re: mirror.cs.wisc.edu

Todd Alan Smith-3
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm an alumni from the CS Department at Wisconsin who uses OpenBSD and I
> recently got them to update their mirror page to reflect the fact that
> they mirror the OpenBSD releases. They have had a mirror for some time but
> I don't think they have openly publicized the fact. Their servers sit on
> fiber optic lines to the national backbone in Chicago and I have always
> found it to be one of the fastest OpenBSD mirrors available no matter my
> location (even in Europe).

Indeed, it seems to be a very fast connection! But then, I'm in Madison ;)

> Sometimes they can be lax in updating their
> mirror to the current release but if you send a email to [hidden email]
> (computer systems lab) they will generally update the mirror within a day
> (M-F 9:00-5:000).

A thought I had upon reading the above: Shouldn't the onus be on the
mirror administrator to ensure that his/her mirrors are up to date? Is
it really that hard to write a cron job to check that which you are
mirroring on a regular basis to see if an rsync needs to occur (and
then do so, if it does)? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just
wondering why mirrors are so often out of sync. (Kinda negates the
term mirror, no?) It would seem to me that part of setting up a mirror
would be to take the necessary steps to ensure that it continues to be
a true mirror.

> I was hoping that Wisconsin could be added to the list
> of download sites so that other people could take advantage of the
> services provided by such a outstanding institution.

I agree; however, the mirror administrator should probably comply
fully with the OpenBSD mirror requirements. The mirror you referred to
isn't complying with the first bullet under the 'Structural Layout'
section of this page:

http://openbsd.org/ftp.html

If I go to:

http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/OpenBSD/

I get a 404 error (which, btw, tells one to contact lab@, not csl@).

I didn't check to see if it complies with all of the other OpenBSD
mirror requirements. Perhaps you could request that the mirror
administrator read the requirements in full.

Anyway, I'm happy to know about this mirror. Thanks for mentioning it,
as I know I'll use it myself. I'd definitely like to see it added to
the official list.

Todd

P.S. You should probably have sent this to www@, not misc@.

Re: mirror.cs.wisc.edu

Roger Midmore
I actually made a mistake for the email address for technical support is
[hidden email]
although the I think csl might work as well since it stands for Computer
Systems Lab. But sending to lab actually creates a complaint that is logged and
taken care of as soon as possible. I forwarded your message on to the
department though. If you notice anything else just send a message to lab with
[CSL #354961] in the subject since someone else noticed that to be the proper
path to the release should be /pub/OpenBSD not /pub/mirrors/OpenBSD. I created
a request for them to add a link to fix that problem as well.

roger

> In gmane.os.openbsd.misc, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I'm an alumni from the CS Department at Wisconsin who uses OpenBSD and I
>> recently got them to update their mirror page to reflect the fact that
>> they mirror the OpenBSD releases. They have had a mirror for some time but
>> I don't think they have openly publicized the fact. Their servers sit on
>> fiber optic lines to the national backbone in Chicago and I have always
>> found it to be one of the fastest OpenBSD mirrors available no matter my
>> location (even in Europe). Sometimes they can be lax in updating their
>> mirror to the current release but if you send a email to [hidden email]
>> (computer systems lab) they will generally update the mirror within a day
>> (M-F 9:00-5:000). I was hoping that Wisconsin could be added to the list
>> of download sites so that other people could take advantage of the
>> services provided by such a outstanding institution.
>>
>> roger
>>
>> btw
>> the actual path to the openbsd releases for both http and ftp is
>> mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/OpenBSD
>
> This mirror seems to be behind a firewall that only permits passive
> transfers, and only using PASV rather than EPSV or Active mode.
> However most clients supporting EPSV use it in preference to PASV,
> so this mirror isn't accessible for them without changing client
> configuration (if they even work out what the problem is).
>
> If it's not possible to adjust the firewall, is there any chance
> that EPSV could be disabled on the server, so clients that support
> it will automatically back to PASV instead?
>
> Thanks!
> Stuart

Re: mirror.cs.wisc.edu

Will Maier
Hi Roger-

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 06:54:32AM -0500, Roger Midmore wrote:

> I actually made a mistake for the email address for technical
> support is [hidden email] although the I think csl might work as
> well since it stands for Computer Systems Lab. But sending to lab
> actually creates a complaint that is logged and taken care of as
> soon as possible. I forwarded your message on to the department
> though. If you notice anything else just send a message to lab
> with [CSL #354961] in the subject since someone else noticed that
> to be the proper path to the release should be /pub/OpenBSD not
> /pub/mirrors/OpenBSD. I created a request for them to add a link
> to fix that problem as well.

Thanks for getting this started. I've contacted the CSL and will
work to get their mirror in order and listed on ftp.html. I work at
hep.wisc.edu, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep them on top of
updates. ;)

--

| web:.......http://www.lfod.us/ | [hidden email] |