mips64el packages deprecated?

Roland Kammerer
Hi guys,

Today I upgraded to OpenBSD 6.1 and saw that none of the mirrors seem to
contain packages for mips64el anymore. For example compare [1] and [2].

Is that intentional? I wonder because mips64el is still in the "Many
pre-built packages for each architecture" list[3].

Are they still building? Am I one of the last 3 people that have
Loongsons? ;-)

Regards, rck

[1] http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.0/packages/
[2] http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.1/packages/
[3] https://www.openbsd.org/61.html

Re: mips64el packages deprecated?

Christian Weisgerber
On 2017-05-05, Roland Kammerer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Today I upgraded to OpenBSD 6.1 and saw that none of the mirrors seem to
> contain packages for mips64el anymore.
>
> Are they still building?

Yes.

On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 09:34:57PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2017-05-05, Roland Kammerer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Today I upgraded to OpenBSD 6.1 and saw that none of the mirrors seem to
> > contain packages for mips64el anymore.
> >
> > Are they still building?
>
> Yes.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? ;-). I think for the last 5 or so
releases I updated pretty soon after the official release, so this looks
new...

I once donated a ppc g4 mac mini to some openbsd dev. If it helps, I
could donate my loongson box. Just let me know.

Regards, rck

Re: mips64el packages deprecated?

Theo de Raadt-2
> On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 09:34:57PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On 2017-05-05, Roland Kammerer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Today I upgraded to OpenBSD 6.1 and saw that none of the mirrors seem to
> > > contain packages for mips64el anymore.
> > >
> > > Are they still building?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Are we there yet? Are we there yet? ;-). I think for the last 5 or so
> releases I updated pretty soon after the official release, so this looks
> new...

The release process worked different when CDs were being manufactured.

The tree was locked way before release day, approximately 5-6 weeks.
Base builds were completed, then CDR were created and sent to the
plant.  Manufacturing tended to take around 3 weeks.  During that
time, the slower architectures would get caught up on building
packages, and be ready in time for release day.

Since there is no manufacturing holdup anymore, I have decided we'll
release OpenBSD as soon as "most important stuff is done".  That is
all bases, plus packages for 2-4 important architectures.  That means
packages for slower architectures will arrive whenever they are
finished.  This will be evaluated each release.

This new model is better for developers, myself included of course.

> I once donated a ppc g4 mac mini to some openbsd dev. If it helps, I
> could donate my loongson box. Just let me know.

The mips64el packages are built on a cluster of 4 loongson machines.
The machines are small, it could use a larger cluster maybe, but 1
machine won't make much difference.  Hopefully a faster system with
the same architecture shows up in the future.

On 2017-05-19, Roland Kammerer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Today I upgraded to OpenBSD 6.1 and saw that none of the mirrors seem to
>> > contain packages for mips64el anymore.
>> >
>> > Are they still building?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Are we there yet? Are we there yet? ;-).

Yes, the packages are finished.  They should show up on the mirrors
real soon now.

> I think for the last 5 or so releases I updated pretty soon after
> the official release, so this looks new...

Previously, there was a long delay between when the release was
finalized and when it was published.  This allowed for CD production
and for the slow archs to finish building packages.

For 6.1, this delay was mostly eliminated, but this also means that
the packages for the non-x86 architectures arrive later, according
to the time it takes to build them.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 03:28:33PM -0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> >> Yes.
> >
> > Are we there yet? Are we there yet? ;-).
>
> Yes, the packages are finished.  They should show up on the mirrors
> real soon now.
>
> > I think for the last 5 or so releases I updated pretty soon after
> > the official release, so this looks new...
>
> Previously, there was a long delay between when the release was
> finalized and when it was published.  This allowed for CD production
> and for the slow archs to finish building packages.
>
> For 6.1, this delay was mostly eliminated, but this also means that
> the packages for the non-x86 architectures arrive later, according
> to the time it takes to build them.

Thanks to you and Theo for the explanation, will keep that in mind.

The update went smoothly as always.

Regards, rck

Re: mips64el packages deprecated?

Pierre-Emmanuel André
On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 09:40:58PM +0200, Roland Kammerer wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Today I upgraded to OpenBSD 6.1 and saw that none of the mirrors seem to
> contain packages for mips64el anymore. For example compare [1] and [2].
>
> Is that intentional? I wonder because mips64el is still in the "Many
> pre-built packages for each architecture" list[3].
>
> Are they still building? Am I one of the last 3 people that have
> Loongsons? ;-)

Hi Roland,

Sorry for the late answer. I'm the maintainer of the loongson's packages.
A bulk build takes at least 3 weeks (with 3 machines). And then i have to
verify logs and restart dpb to build more packages. That's why the process is
a bit long.

Regards,