memcached

Predrag Punosevac-2
Hi Misc,

I am trying to optimize performance of my LibrenNMS installation. Per

/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/librenms-201607

I installed the pecl-memcached package. To ensure that symbolic links
have been created to enable the required PHP modules I re-run

cd /etc/php-5.6.sample
for i in *; do ln -fs ../php-5.6.sample/$i ../php-5.6/; done

also edited /var/www/librenms/config.php

### Memcached config - We use this to store realtime usage
$config['memcached']['enable']  = true;
$config['memcached']['host']    = "localhost";
$config['memcached']['port']    = 11211;

However I am very confused at this point. Did I actually install  memory
caching system or just a package manager which can be used to build
memcached?

# pecl install memcached
pecl/memcached requires PHP (version >= 7.0.0), installed version is
5.6.23
pecl/memcached can optionally use PHP extension "igbinary" (version >=
2.0)
pecl/memcached can optionally use PHP extension "msgpack" (version >=
2.0)
No valid packages found
install failed

Any pointers which will help me learn about the topic will be
appreciated.

Best,
Predrag

Re: memcached

Stuart Henderson
On 2017-03-20, Predrag Punosevac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Misc,
>
> I am trying to optimize performance of my LibrenNMS installation. Per
>
> /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/librenms-201607
>
> I installed the pecl-memcached package. To ensure that symbolic links
> have been created to enable the required PHP modules I re-run
>
> cd /etc/php-5.6.sample
> for i in *; do ln -fs ../php-5.6.sample/$i ../php-5.6/; done
>
> also edited /var/www/librenms/config.php
>
> ### Memcached config - We use this to store realtime usage
> $config['memcached']['enable']  = true;
> $config['memcached']['host']    = "localhost";
> $config['memcached']['port']    = 11211;
>

> However I am very confused at this point. Did I actually install  memory
> caching system or just a package manager which can be used to build
> memcached?

pecl-memcached is for talking to memcached instances from PHP. You need to
install/run memcached separately.

I don't think it will make a huge difference to LibreNMS though.

rrdcached will make much more difference, if you're not already using it.