maximum number of interfaces

Edgar Pettijohn III-2
Is there a maximum number of network interfaces that can be configured?
I looked around in /usr/include to see if I could find it #define(d)
somewhere, but couldn't.  I also globbed up my mail server so this is
also a test, but I would like to know.

Thanks,

Edgar

Re: maximum number of interfaces

Nick Holland
On 04/02/17 22:08, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> Is there a maximum number of network interfaces that can be configured?
> I looked around in /usr/include to see if I could find it #define(d)
> somewhere, but couldn't.  I also globbed up my mail server so this is
> also a test, but I would like to know.

Some time ago (maybe in the 3.5 era), I put five 4-port dc(4) cards in
one machine, plus a 3com xl(4) chip on the mobo.  Didn't actually DO
anything with it, but they all counted out just fine.

"lots" :)

Nick.

Re: maximum number of interfaces

Tony Sarendal-2
Back in 2007 I tested with 4k VLAN interfaces, it wasn't fast, but it
worked.

/T

> On 04/02/17 22:08, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> > Is there a maximum number of network interfaces that can be configured?
> > I looked around in /usr/include to see if I could find it #define(d)
> > somewhere, but couldn't.  I also globbed up my mail server so this is
> > also a test, but I would like to know.
>
> Some time ago (maybe in the 3.5 era), I put five 4-port dc(4) cards in
> one machine, plus a 3com xl(4) chip on the mobo.  Didn't actually DO
> anything with it, but they all counted out just fine.
>
> "lots" :)
>
> Nick.

Re: maximum number of interfaces

Janne Johansson-3
I think I did some 25k tun devices in a VM long time ago. It would bomb at
27k or so, if my memory serves right.