mathjax and firefox

Paul Irofti-4
Why do MathJax-based websites not display properly in Firefox?

The same Firefox version on Windows displays sites like

https://math.stackexchange.com/

properly.

Re: mathjax and firefox

Landry Breuil-6
On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 12:55:47AM +0200, Paul Irofti wrote:
> Why do MathJax-based websites not display properly in Firefox?
>
> The same Firefox version on Windows displays sites like
>
> https://math.stackexchange.com/
>
> properly.

It works in midori/webkit, and doesnt work in Firefox probably because
of different options in your profiles wrt loading mixed content - if i
load
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/592178/riemann-integration-of-an-odd-function
with firebug open i get:
Blocked loading mixed active content
"http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS_HTML"
Blocked loading mixed active content
"http://engine.adzerk.net/z/12057/adzerk2_2_17_76?keywords=x-host-math.stackexchange.com"

Mixed content protection is on by default since ffx23 (and might still
be probably enabled/disabled based on obscure about:config options in your
profile, ie security.mixed_content.block_active_content set to
false/true), see
https://blog.mozilla.org/tanvi/2013/04/10/mixed-content-blocking-enabled-in-firefox-23/

To work around it, you can click on the shield icon at the left of the
adressbar, and select 'disable protection on this page'. here, that
shows the mathjax things on the stackexchange page.

Landry

Re: mathjax and firefox

Paul Irofti-4
> It works in midori/webkit, and doesnt work in Firefox probably because
> of different options in your profiles wrt loading mixed content - if i

So if I would start fresh with a new profile I wouldn't run into this
problem?

> To work around it, you can click on the shield icon at the left of the
> adressbar, and select 'disable protection on this page'. here, that
> shows the mathjax things on the stackexchange page.

Thanks, that fixed the problem.

Re: mathjax and firefox

Brad Smith-14
On 04/12/13 5:01 AM, Paul Irofti wrote:
>> It works in midori/webkit, and doesnt work in Firefox probably because
>> of different options in your profiles wrt loading mixed content - if i
>
> So if I would start fresh with a new profile I wouldn't run into this
> problem?

Possibly, if using pre FF 23. If using FF 23 or newer it sounds like the
default setting is what is causing problems for that site.

believed to be clean.

Re: mathjax and firefox

Ian McWilliam-2
On 4/12/2013 9:05 PM, Brad Smith wrote:

> On 04/12/13 5:01 AM, Paul Irofti wrote:
>>> It works in midori/webkit, and doesnt work in Firefox probably because
>>> of different options in your profiles wrt loading mixed content - if i
>>
>> So if I would start fresh with a new profile I wouldn't run into this
>> problem?
>
> Possibly, if using pre FF 23. If using FF 23 or newer it sounds like
> the default setting is what is causing problems for that site.

Firefox on other platforms behaves the same with mixed https / http
content as does Google Chrome.

What needs to happen is for the site to fix the way it loads content
such that it is all https for https requests and all http for http
requests. Send'em an email and tell them how shoddy their site is.

Lowering the security bar by twisting knobs in the browser is just that,
lowing the bar again.

Ian McWilliam

Re: mathjax and firefox

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2013/12/04 21:27, Ian McWilliam wrote:
> What needs to happen is for the site to fix the way it loads content such
> that it is all https for https requests and all http for http requests.
> Send'em an email and tell them how shoddy their site is.

stackexchange clearly know about using protocol-relative urls, but
cdn.mathjax.org isn't running https (at least with a valid CN/SAN)
so having the site switch to a protocol-relative url for this won't help

there is an alternative ugly url though..
http://www.mathjax.org/resources/faqs/#problem-https

> Lowering the security bar by twisting knobs in the browser is just that,
> lowing the bar again.

+1